BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lone family gun enthusiast in my immediate family, my pop had a shotgun when he was a kid but after the communists took it away he hasn't fired a thing.
2nd AR owner in my entire family tree, my wifes cousin owns several, thank god she has folks from the south.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
First gen. and damn proud of it.  At least I will be once the upper arrives.  Only one in the family who even cares for guns.  My grandfather was a police officer so he had to use them (revolvers) but I do not know if he ever really liked them as anything more than a tool or necessary evil.  Never talked to him about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. I remember when I brought home an old SP1 back in 1988 the first thing my dad said was "What's that 'thang'?" He has always been a hunter but he didn't know anything about military-style guns.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  Pa trained with M14's before the M-16's came out.  We just talked the other day about when he first saw M-16's at Fort Knox before he went to the Land of little Yellow People.   He got to shoot M-16's a few times.  He doesn't recollect too many horror stories of how M-16's failed American soldiers in Viet Nam, and he probably should have heard ALL the tales of woe if they were out there, he flew a medevac.  He bought an SP-1 in the late 70's, which ended up being the first black rifle I shot.  

Both granddads learned to shoot M1's in WW2.

My brother shoots M-16's in the Guard.

We're a black-rifle family.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was the first in my family to own a black rifle. My brother has BRD now too, and my dad may bet one. Did your parents have black rifles? Grandparents?

I am and I got my brother and Step-father into it too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]

1st generation AR owner BUT...

Father went to basic and learned on a M14. Then he carried an XM177/Car-15 in vietnam as a Capt.

Stepfather went to basic and learned on a M1 Garand. Carried a Car15 in vietnam as well.

Neither own an AR but i am working on them..
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm the first.  SP-1 in 1969, Brass Rail Gunshop, Hollywood, CA.

The only gun my dad had was a side-by-side Fox 12 ga. he used for bird hunting.

His father was in WWI, I have no idea what or if he shot anything.  He died 6 years before I was born.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Nah.... My pops was in Vietnam and had a bring-back AK...... but sold it before I was born
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep!  I got hooked when I was in the Army, and have always wanted one since I got out.  I have also turned a couple friends in to "Black Rifle Junkies" now. (I wanted to see others in the money pit along with me!!)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I am the only shooter in my family.......Several generations of non-gun people.

Ah well....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup...and proud of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm the first but now my youngest boy owns one

GM
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, and I guess that I'll be the only one since my younger brother is an antigun Liberal jackass and his RINO wife is also antigun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I was the first in my family to own an AR15. My Dad hated it! He served in the Army and carried a M1 Garand and a M14.  Now I have infected my brother who has an M4gery of his own.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
My grandfather carried an Enfield 1917.  My father carried a Garand.  I am the only one young enough in my family to be in the "black rifle era".

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#17]
No, my uncle was in the 25th ID during the early 70's.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Own yes, fire no. My dad got to play with the first run back in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope.  My father came back from Vietnam with a very favorable impression of the '16, so I grew up around the SP1 my father bought in 1978.  He sold it because someone offered him $700 in cash for it in 1989.  He then bought another one in August 1994 because THEY said he couldn't have one, but he hated the heavy barrel.  My brother likes it fine, though.  

Showed my EoTeched and Surefired-out Bushie M4gery to him last year and his eyes really lit up.
Dad's EBR no.3 should be in the works soon.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes. I used to go hunting with my grandfather. He was more of a bolt-gun/shotgun type of guy. Once I got into shooting I bought pre-ban Chinese AK. (84S1 underfolder) That was my first military type firearm & have been in love with black rifles, etc ever since.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes I am
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep. My Dad Carried a Garand in the 50's. He didn't like the Army, he volunteered only because he would have been drafted anyway. He really tried to get me to join the Air Force, but I joined the Army instead, Infantry no less. I mostly enjoyed my time in. Mostly.

So he only has non-mil sporting firearms now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I am the first
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I have owned 2 black rifles, the first one was way old (triangle handguards and no forward assist) but it shot wonderfully.  My second is a bushmaster "le only (I think they called it the patrolman's carbine)" which I had intended to build prior to the AWB going away.  Had some uncles to fight in the various world wars but none of them owned any of the black rifles that I know of.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#25]
First generation and probably the last. I bought my first Colt AR15 twenty-one years ago and have been infected with the virus ever since. Been trying to get my two girls interested. My wife is very counter productive. Some women just don't understand.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes I am. The oher gun owners in my family are wood/blue gun types. My uncle is the only real shooter in the family besides me. I don't own any AR type rifles now, but I have several FALs and M1Garands.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
why would you really want more than one mag

I believe you win the award for the stupidest thing ever said on this board. Are you old enough to own a rifle?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why would you really want more than one mag

I believe you win the award for the stupidest thing ever said on this board. Are you old enough to own a rifle?

That response was completely unnecessary. He asked a legitimate question.

There are several reasons that you might want more than one magazine. Magazines are mechanical and as such can and do fail. They can and do get damaged / lost/stolen. If you only have one, your rifle will be rendered nearly useless.
Another reason is so that you can load them up while you are home and unable to go shooting. Then when you do get the opportunity to go shooting, you can spend your time shooting rather than reloading your magazine.
Another popular reason is so that you can participate in three gun shooting matches where magazine changes are part of the course of fire.
And, you never know when you may need several pre loaded magazines in order to defend yourself, your family, or property.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top