BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm actually a Meat Manager for 2nd largest grocery chain in the USA so yes I will proceess it myself   as for a rug I'm not sure
I have it in my freezer still trying to decide.    TA-31 is the DONUT OF DEATH!!! that is what reticle it is....

Would that be Safeway Stores? I worked for them for 10yrs then became an LEO...
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Bear hunting envy, if I ever saw it!  Nice kill, nice shot, you must have brass cojones!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm actually a Meat Manager for 2nd largest grocery chain in the USA so yes I will proceess it myself   as for a rug I'm not sure
I have it in my freezer still trying to decide.    TA-31 is the DONUT OF DEATH!!! that is what reticle it is....

kroger?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell me you are not Proud of that Micro Buck, That thing is 1.5 years old. Thank god we have a 3 point rule now, Meaning it has to have 3 on one side. But anyway Ill stop dissing you, Any deer is worth hunting... But to Me not all of them are worth shooting, Unless they are 3-4.5 years old.

Good luck to all you guys hunting this year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Bear = 6'00" and 250 pounds

Raghead in Sandbox = 6'00" and 250 pounds

How is that any different?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Bear = 6'00" and 250 pounds

Raghead in Sandbox = 6'00" and 250 pounds

How is that any different?

What sandbox have you been playing in? Most of the ragheads are malnourished and under 150. Over penetration doesn't play a role in shooting a bear, it does in shooting a malnourished, sickly thin raghead.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Sweet!  Nice bear!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was trying to be as asinine as I could .......

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yes you could have a Beta C mag if you wanted too, and for the record any centerfire cartridge is legal to hunt with ind Idaho

No shit?  9mm luger?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!   Oh yeah,I am also Meat Manager for 2nd largest chain!  Hopefully Larry Johnston gets his act together.  Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well here it is. The Bear was shot at 40 yards 2 times in the shoulder ran about 25 yards and was grave yard dead. I'm estimating the bear weighed about 250+ lbs.  I saw 5 bears today I waited
until I had a good shot it is very brushy in good ol Idaho where I hunted today. The bullet did very nice work of the lungs.

i wish you could have got'n some internal pictures... of exactly what the round did to the bear...  good shoot'n!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Agreed,

Just because one "can" does not mean one SHOULD. Again, as a rule, don't be stupid. Use the apropriate tool for the job.

JMHO.

-LS
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course one shouldn't go hunting bear all of the time with a 5.56, but I think it's fine just to try it out once to see how effective your ammo really is.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Okay, we've got the don't shoot a bear with a varmint round covered.

Now we just need the," Dude, why would you want to kill a poor little bear" crowd.

And just to add a little to the mix.

I guess we should all outlaw bow hunting of black bear or elk.

And you can't tell me the 77OTM is less effective or humane than an arrow.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It’s been asked, but not yet answered.  .

It was answered in the Topic Title.

77gr OTM - Open Tip Match

The only question is was it the MatchKing or the Nosler? (that I didn't see)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Here are the only firearm laws when hunting big game in Idaho.  Page 12
Idaho Fish and Game
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#24]
i'd bet it was nosler
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey shivan,

What range was that deer taken at? If you think you need .308 or bigger for animals like that, you've abviously never seen what the right .223 load is capable of.

Why do you own guns that are less than .308 caliber if nothing else will suffice? To poke holes in paper? There is a better tool for that job, it's called an ice pick.

Your argument is folley.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#28]
This is why they make .223 with detachable magazines:

This, on the otherhand, is why they make 300 weatherby mag:...

[brewsky mimics shivan by imitating the faces shivan makes]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
GOD forbid it should take more than one shot to bring down an animal.

We're all so proud that you accept nothing smaller than .308. You're soooo humane Shivan, your such a Hero!

Your OPINION isn't going to stop anyone from hunting big game with .223.

You know that's all it is right, YOUR OPINION? Conclusive of nothing, based on NO facts and (more importantly) NO experience.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#31]
If hunting deer with .223 is like banging a railroad spike with a phonebook, then hunting deer with large .30 caliber rifles is like banging a railroad spike with this:
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

When you have to argue so hard to "prove" something to people who are already on board with something in certain roles {5.56x45}, but not others.....it's usually not the best choice for that application.

Take a look in the mirror buddy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I guess you've never seen the demonstration where the guy shoots a bucket of sand with a mirror right behind it with a .44 Mag at 10yds......and the mirror doesn't break.  The .44 slug is stopped in the sand.  Then he shoots it with a compound bow at 20yds and the arrow goes through the bucket and then through the mirror?

No, I haven't. I guess it's safe to say, an arrow is the best choice for hunting mirrors that are hidden in sand .

But for some reason I don't see to many people carrying a bow for self defense against large predators.

If  I  NEEDED to kill a 250lb bear and my choices where a bow and a quiver of broadheads and an AR loaded with 30rds of 77gr OTM.  I'm sorry I'd take the varmint gun, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It shouldn't.  

Ok so, just because you say it shouldn't means thats the end of it?

OK God. Can I wash your feet now?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But for some reason I don't see to many people carrying a bow for self defense against large predators......I guess we have always had gunpowder and carbines....  Okay, maybe they used them back when they didn't have a more effective choice

If  I  NEEDED to kill a 250lb bear and my choices where a bow and a quiver of broadheads and an AR loaded with 30rds of 77gr OTM.  I'm sorry I'd take the varmint gun, thank you very much.I believe you would use the tools you had available if attacked.  We are talking about PURPOSELY seeking out an encounter with a bear; ill equipped.

If I were hunting zombies on Friday the 13th with a full moon and all I had was a.....

Oh nevermind.

Weak.  My point was, if given the choice between the two, most (maybe not you)people would choose the AR  because most would feel it would be the best tool for the job.

Now let's bring this logic full circle.  If a bow is considered a reliable humaine weapon to hunt black bear with, then an AR which most would consider a better choice against killing a black bear (I did not say an attacking bear, I said if you needed to kill one). If an AR would be considered a better choice for killing a black bear, then logic says it would also be a viable alternative  for hunting black bears.

Oh, and that MATCH bullet has some pretty good terminal ballistics (at least if you are hunting gelatin) .
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Up next:

A vidcap of me hammering railroad spikes with a phonebook.

And here I thought he was making a PC reference to Real Genius.. "Can you hammer a six inch spike through a board with your penis?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But for some reason I don't see to many people carrying a bow for self defense against large predators......I guess we have always had gunpowder and carbines....

If  I  NEEDED to kill a 250lb bear and my choices where a bow and a quiver of broadheads and an AR loaded with 30rds of 77gr OTM.  I'm sorry I'd take the varmint gun, thank you very much.I believe you would use the tools you had available if attacked.  We are talking about PURPOSELY seeking out an encounter with a bear; ill equipped.

If I were hunting zombies on Friday the 13th with a full moon and all I had was a.....

Oh nevermind.

Weak.  My point was, if given the choice between the two, most (maybe not you)people would choose the AR  because most would feel it would be the best tool for the job.

Now let's bring this logic full circle.  If a bow is considered a reliable humaine weapon to hunt black bear with, then an AR which most would consider a better choice against killing a black bear (I did not say an attacking bear, I said if you needed to kill one). If an AR would be considered a better choice for killing a black bear, then logic says it would also be a viable alternative  for hunting black bears.

Oh, and that MATCH bullet has some pretty good terminal ballistic (at least if you are hunting gelatin) .

WHAT?

I don't not consider the .223 a better tool to kill a black bear.  If ATTACKED by a bear and I had a carbine or a bow I would grab a carbine to effect a volume of fire and noise.  It's NOT the better choice to kill a bear.  Did you miss my previous 20 posts in that regard?  If I only had two options to hunt a 250lb bear with I would choose the compound bow.  See my illustration above as to why.

Yeah, the 77gr does really well, the best of the feasible loads for the .223.  It is STILL at it's limit when used in the context of big game.

Go back and read my post. I was pretty sure you would choose the bow.

Let me clarify. If I was starving and needed to kill something, I would choose an AR over a bow and arrow. I feel I could kill something more quickly and effeciently (and at a longer range) with an AR than with a Bow.  If most or even half of the people would feel an AR would be as good or better than a bow to kill a 250 lb animal, then why couldn't it be considered as a viable alternative to hunting that animal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmmmmmmmmmm! I don't believe I have ever had any Bear jerky..........
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Jeasus Tap-Dancing Christ!  WTF is up with you all.  The man posted a pic of a bear he killed while hunting, and you assholes hijacked the thread, and turned it into a fucking pissing contest.  AMATURES!  Who gives a fuck if you don't like how he did it?

BTW: I don't hunt(other than people), and don't care to.

IO1
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
It's called a discussion and it happens everytime something like this is posted.

My apologies for helping to fuel the discussion, this time.

archad, nice bear, great shooting !
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice kill!!

Have the pansys long come out of the woodwork with their indignation about the caliber used?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice shooting, definitely not the right tool for the job but fortunately for you and the bear it worked this time. I have no probs with hunting but I do believe in limiting the suffering of the target to as little as possible. Shooting a bear with a .223 has a great potential for injuring the animal but not finishing the job. Not flaming you just stating the obviouse. Regardless, nice job and it does say allot about the killing potential of the AR with a well placed shot(s) and a little luck.

Edited spelling
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But for some reason I don't see to many people carrying a bow for self defense against large predators......I guess we have always had gunpowder and carbines....

Oh nevermind.

Oh, and that MATCH bullet has some pretty good terminal ballistic (at least if you are hunting gelatin) .

WHAT?

I don't not consider the .223 a better tool to kill a black bear.  If ATTACKED by a bear and I had a carbine or a bow I would grab a carbine to effect a volume of fire and noise.  It's NOT the better choice to kill a bear.  Did you miss my previous 20 posts in that regard?  If I only had two options to hunt a 250lb bear with I would choose the compound bow.  See my illustration above as to why.

Yeah, the 77gr does really well, the best of the feasible loads for the .223.  It is STILL at it's limit when used in the context of big game.

Go back and read my post. I was pretty sure you would choose the bow.

Let me clarify. If I was starving and needed to kill something, I would choose an AR over a bow and arrow. I feel I could kill something more quickly and effeciently (and at a longer range) with an AR than with a Bow.  If most or even half of the people would feel an AR would be as good or better than a bow to kill a 250 lb animal, then why couldn't it be considered as a viable alternative to hunting that animal.

Need to kill something, or need to kill a 250 lb. bear?  Be sensible.  If you're starving, I think ethics would be the last thing on your mind.  We're not talking about starving, we're talking about hunting for sport (which is something I am perfectly fine with, just use the right tools and do your part).  He may have killed the bear, but I think we can all agree that of the available choices, 5.56 NATO is among the least appealing cartridges to use.  There is no need to go hunting bambi with a .338 Lapua, and there is no need to go hunting a bear with a 5.56 AR-15.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Mention hunting 250lb bear with a match bullet from a .223, well then you have to defend your position tooth and nail only to you....  Not because you, and the supporters of the "large game hunters with .223's", are simply unliked by everyone, but because it really is a STUPID thing to doagain, so because you say it's stupid means it must be?.

If you want to be tactical in the woods and use your 10.5" 5.56 Carbine to hunt 200lb Mulies......knock-your-fucking-self-out.......still stupid.

OK everybody who hunts large game with .233 is stupid because ShivanGod says so

I don't think I've ever come across someone more ignorant than you. That is your OPINION! You have no facts, examples or experience to back it up.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top