User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First, you should learn as much arabic as possible.  Take classes (berlitz immersion class for a month or two during your next summer vacation) or buy some arab language tapes.  This will prove invaluable, and it will make you more important to your superiors--as well as aid your comrades in interrogation or communicating with the natives.

Probably the best advice offered if you really want to get an edge over your peers. First thing's first though, finish high school.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I met a guy who was in Delta. From what he said they ask YOU to join, you don't ask them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I met a guy who was in Delta. From what he said they ask YOU to join, you don't ask them.

Once again they have RECRUITERS that come on post for interviews, they would give a presentation at the post theater and then meet with canidates. At that point if you meet the requirements they are looking for then you will get orders cut for selection.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the same boat as you 223, but you're doing it all wrong. USMC, USMC, USMC. :D Whole mom's side of my family has history in the Marines. Grandfather was in the Pacific during WWII (Scout/Sniper on Saipan, Okinawa, 6th Division which no longer exists), Uncle just got out as a Colonel (ran the Scout/Sniper school at Quantico and was CO of WTB; see a family trend?), both cousins' husbands are in, one a 2nd LT. going to San Diego soon, other just made Gunnery Sgt. and got stationed as a MSG in Turkey. Needless to say, i've been brain washed :)

I'm 17 now and plan to do NROTC at some college then do aviation when finished. But, as told to my friend who enlisted, just worry about passing boot camp, or OCS, first. You're not a Marine, Delta, or any serviceman until then. After that, take the punches as they come. :) I just bought (or paid, as my dad bought it) a 20" bushmaster Xm15 E2S A2 model and love it. Pretty much what you'll use in boot camp if you're looking for "training". But as said, you'll get taught how to shoot when you join up.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't read all of the posts on this, but enough to tell you my thoughts.

I am 46 years old, and while I have had a really great 30 years (the number I've lived since you came on board)...  I wish I had joined.

Great choice young man.

Good luck, and on behalf of my family, thanks!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i train all the time and i am swithing schools so i can be in ROTC b4 i go....i know i will make delta,,,,

Sigh...... Does'nt anyone what to be just a  TANKER any more....

Hey Kid.. want some golden advice.. work on losing your cherry. when the time is right, Uncle Sugar will give ya all the training your ever gonna need. (and then some).
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]
get in shape and if you get an AR nothing wrong with already coming from a background on a similar weapon but finish high school and no matter how familiar you get on an AR when you get to boot camp just pay attention do what your told and keep your mouth shut and you should be fine.Delta is a great goal but get out of basic first and good luck
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys..all this info is great and I will send a picture of me in a couple of years in SF
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i train all the time and i am swithing schools so i can be in ROTC b4 i go....i know i will make delta,,,,

Sigh...... Does'nt anyone what to be just a  TANKER any more....

Hey Kid.. want some golden advice.. work on losing your cherry. when the time is right, Uncle Sugar will give ya all the training your ever gonna need. (and then some).

LOL... DAT
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Most if not all of the High speed guys are very low key, that is one of the traits they look for. In order to try out for SFOD-D you will need a few requirments:

Be atleast an E-6
Be on your 2nd enlistment also
Being Ranger Tab'd may help
and some sort of Special Ops backround will help, either from being assigned with a SF group or a Ranger battalion.

The CAG group have recruiters that will come to post, then you will be able to see if you can make it. I would first set my goals on making it through R.I.P., then life in a Battalion , Then SFAS, then The Q course, Then SERE school , then Lanuage school, then life in a Group. Then it will be time to go through selection for CAG's.

Times have changed my friend.  SFOD-D, you can find them and only have to be a E-4 now.  And SF, is SFAS, phase 2 SUT, phase 3 MOS training, Phase 4 UW and Robin Sage, phase 5 language school.  SERE comes after all that and you make it, you get your long tab.
Frank Miller still kicking and living down in AZ I think working as a benefits councel for the VA.  Retired CSM
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
What to get b4 you join

Laid as much as you can
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I am learning Spanish right now and now very few Hebrew but plan on learnign that too beaucase I am Jewish.  Is that enough for a Language
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Frank Miller still kicking and living down in AZ I think working as a benefits councel for the VA.  Retired CSM

Wrong... Obituary... More info
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Finish high school first.... and try to further your education. You can only only go so far on talent. For highly sought after positions it will be tough for you to compete against other individuals who have better schooling.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong... Obituary... More info

Well hell.  Learn something new everyday.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
this guy has to be someones troll account.. its just GOT TO BE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am learning Spanish right now and now very few Hebrew but plan on learnign that too beaucase I am Jewish.  Is that enough for a Language

You'll find out when you get far enough down the pipeline to get tested on them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
TRoll Acount?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
223 Raider-

Lots of good advice on this thread.  Focus on the school, the languages, THE PT (be able to max that PFT going in) and zillions of other things people have been talking about.

If you must do shooting, get a 10/22 and shoot at least a brick (500rds) a month- plinking, informal target shooting, etc.  Or, better yet, join the local junior rifle team and set your goal to be the #1 shooter on the air rifle/small bore team.  Both will teach you far more about shooting than 2 years of plinking with an AR15 will.

But, when you're young and gung ho, you just can't wait to go all out.   I was like that, less than ten years ago............
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks guys..all this info is great and I will send a picture of me in a couple of years in SF

Don't be in too big a hurry. One day you may find yourself sweating buckets out there in B.F.E. with a 70 pound ruck on your aching back, quarter sized blisters on your feet and ticks as big as watermelon seeds hanging off your privates wondering what the hell you were thinking.

I know I did.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]

what high school you going to with ROTC?  another thing is if thats what you want go for it but consider college first.  get as much school out of the way as you can.  if enlisted is the way you want to go then do so after college. try ROTC at EKU, they have a great programe there. and see if the officer thing might be the way you want to go.  EKUs "Ranger Company" finshed 1st in there competion last year. check out there web site www.rotc.eku.edu/.

and by the way feel in love with my M4 here in afghanistan that i ordered one for when i get home.  
cant wait to see the bluegrass again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most if not all of the High speed guys are very low key, that is one of the traits they look for. In order to try out for SFOD-D you will need a few requirments:

Be atleast an E-6
Be on your 2nd enlistment also
Being Ranger Tab'd may help
and some sort of Special Ops backround will help, either from being assigned with a SF group or a Ranger battalion.

The CAG group have recruiters that will come to post, then you will be able to see if you can make it. I would first set my goals on making it through R.I.P., then life in a Battalion , Then SFAS, then The Q course, Then SERE school , then Lanuage school, then life in a Group. Then it will be time to go through selection for CAG's.

Times have changed my friend.  SFOD-D, you can find them and only have to be a E-4 now.  And SF, is SFAS, phase 2 SUT, phase 3 MOS training, Phase 4 UW and Robin Sage, phase 5 language school.  SERE comes after all that and you make it, you get your long tab.

I find it very hard to believe that you can get into CAG as an E-4, but I will look into that, That for your info on the Q course. I understand the course very well, my best friend is in Arabic training as we speak at Bragg, then He goes to SERE in December. I did not want to get into all the details here on the course.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
]I want a gun to train on and just shoot for fun...what should i get, i want a AR or an Ak, what shouold i get and why, if i get an ar i want a bm\m4\a3. thanks....no more that 800 dollars

Don't worry about that. The DIs will start teaching you from the point of view that you have never even seen a rifle before. Shut your mouth and open your eyes and ears when they speak.
Otherwise, run, push-ups, knee-bends, run, run, run.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
The best thing to do is just get into shape and don't worry about training with a weapon. You may develop bad shooting habits that your Drill Instructors (or Sergeants in the Army) won't like. Believe me you'll get PLENTY of exposure to the M16A2 or M4. And as far as the Delta thing goes, don't set your expectations too high. You may find that your priorities change over time. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Your mom sounds really cool.  Is she married and how old is she?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't worry about the rifle at this time.  If you think you're in shape, check out www.dragondoor.com and then go out and buy yourself a couple of the videos and a kettlebell or two and start training for combat fitness.  Then, go running.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]
And then run some more
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't worry about getting familiar with the AR-15.  The military will ensure you have plenty of time to get to know your AR

I like the idea of buying an ACOG 1st for use in the military.  However, you will not need it or be allowed to use it until you complete basic training.  You'll have to learn to shoot with iron sights 1st.

Since you are on the split option,  be advised the military will gladly pay to ship you to the base where you will train, however, you will need to pay your own way home.  Be sure you keep cash on hand for that.

Remember, the drill sgts. job is to try to shake you up and stress you out.  Your job is keep your wits and complete the tasks they give.  Don't let 'em get to ya!

Otherwise, have fun!

and by the way,   WTF ARE YOU DOING READING THIS!  YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING!!  MOVE IT! MOVE IT!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy the most beat-up, loose, ragged piece of shit AR-15 you can find. It will probably be a close match with the M-16 you get in boot camp.

It is good to set goals, however, it probably isn't a good idea to presume that you will be good enough to go the SFOD-D route. I knew plenty of guys with the same attitude when I was in high school. Most never even joined the military. I realize that you probably think that you have it all figured out, but you need to sit down and ask yourself a few questions.

1. Are you smart enough? Can you learn a new language? Can you memorize all the info needed to preform such a job? Can you solve difficult problems quickly?

2. Are you dedicated enough? I am aware that you think that you will somehow end up in 1st SFOD-D because you really want it to happen. Do you spend time doing meaningful PT? Do you excel in school? Are you able to do things that you don't want to do simply because they need to be done? Are you willing to put up with years of schools, hard PT, and Army life for a shot at reaching your goal?

3. What do you have to offer them? Being a mediocre success in the Army is not enough to get selected for Delta. Your focus should be on what you are doing now. Are you at the top of your classes in school? If not, why? Same for boot camp, AIT, Airborne School, RIP, SFAS, etc. If you aren't doing better than everyone else, you had better find out why and correct it.

Wrestling and football, aren't going to get you ready for anything in the military. If you are doing it because you enjoy it, keep at it and try not to get hurt. If you are doing it to prepare for the military, stop. Start running, doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and swimming. Put on a pack and walk.

Finally, be a normal teenager. Have fun, at least attempt to get laid, and enjoy what is left of your childhood. You plan on joining an army that is currently fighting 2 different wars. You are probably going to end up in one, or both, of them. If you have any notions of war being glamorous get rid of them. If you are lucky, you will still be alive in a few years. If you have been working hard, you may be qualified for Special Forces, or Delta. If not you will have fallen by the wayside with the rest of the guys who thought they had it all figured out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Buy the most beat-up, loose, ragged piece of shit AR-15 you can find. It will probably be a close match with the M-16 you get in boot camp.

It is good to set goals, however, it probably isn't a good idea to presume that you will be good enough to go the SFOD-D route. I knew plenty of guys with the same attitude when I was in high school. Most never even joined the military. I realize that you probably think that you have it all figured out, but you need to sit down and ask yourself a few questions.

1. Are you smart enough? Can you learn a new language? Can you memorize all the info needed to preform such a job? Can you solve difficult problems quickly?

2. Are you dedicated enough? I am aware that you think that you will somehow end up in 1st SFOD-D because you really want it to happen. Do you spend time doing meaningful PT? Do you excel in school? Are you able to do things that you don't want to do simply because they need to be done? Are you willing to put up with years of schools, hard PT, and Army life for a shot at reaching your goal?

3. What do you have to offer them? Being a mediocre success in the Army is not enough to get selected for Delta. Your focus should be on what you are doing now. Are you at the top of your classes in school? If not, why? Same for boot camp, AIT, Airborne School, RIP, SFAS, etc. If you aren't doing better than everyone else, you had better find out why and correct it.

Wrestling and football, aren't going to get you ready for anything in the military. If you are doing it because you enjoy it, keep at it and try not to get hurt. If you are doing it to prepare for the military, stop. Start running, doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and swimming. Put on a pack and walk.

Finally, be a normal teenager. Have fun, at least attempt to get laid, and enjoy what is left of your childhood. You plan on joining an army that is currently fighting 2 different wars. You are probably going to end up in one, or both, of them. If you have any notions of war being glamorous get rid of them. If you are lucky, you will still be alive in a few years. If you have been working hard, you may be qualified for Special Forces, or Delta. If not you will have fallen by the wayside with the rest of the guys who thought they had it all figured out.

The most balanced and realistic advice so far IMHO.

Also get your head around this: the military can be very boring.
Do you have a part time job?  If you don't, get one, if possible one that requires manual labor and interacting with others.

When you enlist you will be the NFG regardless of what paygrade you sign up for.  You may be entitled to the respect along with the rank but no one will fool you into thinking you have earned it.  

Be prepared to do the most menial jobs you can imagine.  Do them to the very best of your ability always and don't expect any recognition or even to pass muster.  

Expect to work with people you don't like or get along with, for personal reasons or otherwise.  Eventually you both will have to tolerate each other in order to survive.

Double check everything your recruiter tells or promises you.  Keep in mind that even if it is in writing the government always leaves itself an out.  If you fail to meet any of the criteria they have set forth or meet one of their hurdles you may forfeit whatever training was promised.

You will train wether on your own or with your comrades, over and over, and over, and over......etc.
Drills will be performed until you are thoroughly fluid with them and then you will do them some more.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#31]
No offense 223, but im not sure you know much about SF and Delta and how hard they are. They are Elite for a reason. Everyon else has made some good points. First of all, what is your MOS going to be? You cant just go in as SF. Are you wanting to be SF/GB or a Ranger? 2 different things. You seem like you saw Black Hawk Down and said "thatd be awsome to be Delta". Im not trying to put down your dream or anything, but to me you seem to not know much about the Army and SF and Delta and their training. Like they said, you dont ask to be in Delta, and you need to know at least 2 languages for SF i believe. Theres lots of dropouts in the traning, thats why its Elite. I suggest you research all of this A LOT before you get your mind set on anything. They are gunna laugh in your face when you arrive to Basic and tell them you are going to join Delta. Just trying to help you out before you find out what its really like when you get there. But, Good Luck to you. Listen to all the other points everyone else said, you need to study up and get in shape, very good shape.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks their is no doubt that i am ready for bootcamp...i train all the time and i am swithing schools so i can be in ROTC b4 i go....i know i will make delta,,,,i will also probly end up getting a bm-m4-a3-leo for about 800 their one of my firends

I hope you do make it but I dont think Delta is something you actually apply for, I think they come looking for you, might be wrong though... And boot camp is for the Marines (did that too)...

ETA... Good choice of rifle also...

Actually, while I was in the Army 96-01 as an MP, every six months after I became an E-4 we would receive a card at our unit saying that Delta Recruiters would be coming to the base to run initial screening phyiscal tests.  We always joked because the Army doesn't officially acknowledge their existence but sends out recruiting cards.  

They also advertise that they are recruiting in Paraglide...they also tell what day they meet and where to meet.

I too plan on enlisting and trying to get on a team.  I'm going to try and enlist with the 18x program they started up again. But if I can't get that plan I will probably just get 11B, airborne option, and rip on my contract so I can try to pass Ranger school.  I'm actually meeting with a recruiter tomorrow evening to discuss some of this stuff, since i'm on my last year of high school. I started applying to West Point but realized what is the point of going to school and after that doing a job I don't want. I can always go to school later if I choose to also. I actually met a SF SGM who said when he returned from Afghanistan he could call up some contacts and take me out to a day of S&A. I'm so glad I live near Ft. Bragg. Two SFGs are here, plus Delta force(not that you can tell who is Delta Force). Hopefully I can get the enlistment contract I would like and pass everything. It's also probably not that good to go tell people you ARE going to be this and that because like someone said, he had a friend who wanted to be a SEAL and he got hurt and was discharged. Low key is key when it comes to some of this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
]I want a gun to train on and just shoot for fun...what should i get, i want a AR or an Ak, what shouold i get and why, if i get an ar i want a bm\m4\a3. thanks....no more that 800 dollars

1) In shape

2) Get a 20" A2 AR if you want to practice basic marksmanship... Forget the optics, flat-tops, & other fancy-shmacy gear - just get a basic 20" rifle with A2 sights. Then practice, and if you can, shoot a few NRA rifle matches...

No unit in the US military uses AKs, and very little crosses over between the AK and AR.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]
And don't forget to watch a lot of "A-Team".  

Faceman
Hannibal
B.A. Baracus
H.M. Murdock

They were all SF you know.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, I did a land nav course with the DEPs yesterday, and one Private (E-2), just got back from Fort Jackson recently; he is doing the split program, and went to basic during last summer, and will be going to AIT after finishing his senior year of high school. You can tell hes a kid, runs at the mouth a bit (he started running his mouth a little at the CAPTAIN (!!!) that accompanied us, until he got elbowed by one of the Sgts, and pulled out of our  formation and had a little discussion with the Sarge.) but I think it came more from over-enthusiasm than purely a lack of dicipline.

Seems like a good way to go, and good luck to you. Stay safe, and maybe our paths with cross at some point.

EDIT: Seems like the Sargeants were far more respectful to those of us that STFUed and LISTENED and didn't pretend to know shit. If they teach you something you already know, shut up, listen, learn it their way, and do it their way. I thought I knew all there was to know about map/compass land nav, but by pretending I didn't, I actually learned alot from the Sarge and the Captain. I really am starting to see why its said that the NCOs truely run the Army.

John

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#36]
AHHH this brings back memories of high school. have
But I knew 11 people that wanted to be spec ops. School had an ROTC unit.

All 11 people were in top physical shape. They could run like there was no tomorrow and do lots of pull ups and all that stuff.

10 of them were expert marksmen. They already had training on M-16s and the whole bit. Don't know what kind of marksman the 11th was. He was never in JROTC.

10 of them bragged about how they were going to be in the military and how they were going to be in this special forces unit and that special forces unit. They bragged about how they were going to be in everything from Airborne Rangers to Navy Seals.

Only 1 out of the 11 people that I knew wanted to be in the Special Forces ever made it. That one person is the only person that never bragged about how he was going to be in the Special Forces. In fact very few people even knew he was even going to go into the military much less that he wanted to be in the Seals.

Thats just what I saw from the people I went to high school with.

Good luck to you in your your dream to be counted amoung the best that the military has to offer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Number one rule (this is a rule that I made up for from my own expience tutoring FNGs on the range) stay cool, learn to meditate, you need to totaly zoneout, (I swear that my heart stops when I am setting up a loooonngg shot). Some peapole just are to god damb jittery and never can score expert! Second rule, You always have more time than you think you do! I always would stand to the side of a recruit and watch him shoot, he has like 30 seconds to shoot 30rnds (something like that), he'd inevitably blow 30 in 10 seconds, all over the place. If you count, 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand you realize that is a pretty slow rate of fire! Slow way down. I like to say to my self "sssccwweeaaaz" as I scweaz the trigger this takes up the time. Well that is the advice I have allways given. Good luck, you'll need it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No unit in the US military uses AKs, and very little crosses over between the AK and AR.

I think you mean "no unit in the US military is issued AKs."   Big difference...  In fact, there have been quite a few photos posted here that showed US troops armed with AKs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I reccomend you download Americas Army and play like hell... you will be ready to take on anything after a few months
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm 16 also and I'm planning the same thing as 223raider. Army/SF/ or USMC if I keep my head up and make it through to be good enough for SF. But first I'm finishing HS and then going to North Georgia College & State University and going to be in the Army ROTC Program.After that then I'm going to join the Army or USMC.Currently I'm in 11th grade and going in dual enrollment at a private college nearby starting this January.Meaning I would do some classes at home from 8:00 a.m. to 12  then drive college and take classes from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 for different classes like a language(going to take German) .And like 223raider I'm also going to purchase a M4/A3 LE6920 rifle but by Colt. Well theses my two cents. Good luck 223raider.

-Matt
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Join a CMP rifle club. Ranges are run VERY safely. These guys would love to train a Junior Shooter. My club lets Juniors Join free. Have Mom go to a shoot with you and she will see how safe these things are. She will have to sign the release anyway.

And run, ruck, then run some more. Wrestling and cross country will help.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Thanks their is no doubt that i am ready for bootcamp...i train all the time and i am swithing schools so i can be in ROTC b4 i go....i know i will make delta,,,,

Quoted:
I promise to everyone here that i will become Dealta it is my dream,, all i do is think aobut it every second of the day for as long as i can remeber that is all i have ever wanted in my life.  I will become Dealta i promise

Quoted:

223raider, the will to succeed under any circumstance is a pre-req that you will need to learn to keep in your head and prevent from coming out of your mouth. The only person that cares what you “wanna-be” is you, and until you are… you ain’t. See below from the BTDT crowd.

Quoted:
Most if not all of the High speed guys are very low key, that is one of the traits they look for.

Quoted:
You will notice that at every point no one is looking to be impressed by your skills or knowledge in any way.  If you think you should say something, think again and shut up and listen.  If you think they are wrong, shut up and listen.  If you are confused about what to do.....listen.

Quoted:
"Keep your eyes, ears, nose and bowels open and your mouth shut."

Quoted:
Only 1 out of the 11 people that I knew wanted to be in the Special Forces ever made it. That one person is the only person that never bragged about how he was going to be in the Special Forces. In fact very few people even knew he was even going to go into the military much less that he wanted to be in the Seals.

Not trying to be a dream pirate, just trying to help you along in achieving your goals. Of course if you can’t take a little criticsm that’s a whole other issue Best of successes to you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#43]
If you can't afford an AR-15 just get a rifle.  One preferable with peep sights get familiar with shooting it.  Ask around on the board for any tips on BRM.  Get a pair of new current issued combat boots and issued wool socks.  This is what you will be issued in basic.  Learn how  to break them in!  Practice spit shining them.  Get a pair of winter weight BDU's and buy a ruck sack with frame at an army surplus store.  

Now the fun part.  Load the ruck with 35 lbs.of something. Put on your new boots not broken in with issue socks.  Put on your BDU's.  ruck up and go for a hike.  Start out with a couple of miles at first up hills and such.  Work your way up to several miles and increase weight in your ruck each outing. You may get blisters on your feet from the new boots.  Deal with it accordingly but don't switch to a more comfortable boot / shoe.  Let you feet toughen up.  Don't let the weather stop you from your hiking go in the rain get very wet and uncomfortable.  Beacause I will guarantee you will be in basic.  I read that you are into martial arts and scholastic sports so you should be in decent shape.   Start doing alot of push ups and sit ups and run alot.  Don't run in the boots though.   You will be able to use running shoes for daily PT.   Incorporate some strength training into your running, marching / hiking routine.  if you are planning to go into Rangers / SF do a web search and find out the physical requirements to pass the course.  Start doing that and get yourself to do better than the requirements.   Go to the library and pick up one of those learn how to speak a foreign language book /tape set and try learning it.

BTW why are you reading this forum?  You should be out RUNNING and MARCHING!!!

Ill shut up now!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks their is no doubt that i am ready for bootcamp...i train all the time and i am swithing schools so i can be in ROTC b4 i go....i know i will make delta,,,,i will also probly end up getting a bm-m4-a3-leo for about 800 their one of my firends

I hope you do make it but I dont think Delta is something you actually apply for, I think they come looking for you, might be wrong though... And boot camp is for the Marines (did that too)...

Actually, while I was in the Army 96-01 as an MP, every six months after I became an E-4 we would receive a card at our unit saying that Delta Recruiters would be coming to the base to run initial screening phyiscal tests.  We always joked because the Army doesn't officially acknowledge their existence but sends out recruiting cards.  

They also advertise that they are recruiting in Paraglide...they also tell what day they meet and where to meet.

I too plan on enlisting and trying to get on a team.  I'm going to try and enlist with the 18x program they started up again. But if I can't get that plan I will probably just get 11B, airborne option, and rip on my contract so I can try to pass Ranger school.  I'm actually meeting with a recruiter tomorrow evening to discuss some of this stuff, since i'm on my last year of high school. I started applying to West Point but realized what is the point of going to school and after that doing a job I don't want. I can always go to school later if I choose to also. I actually met a SF SGM who said when he returned from Afghanistan he could call up some contacts and take me out to a day of S&A. I'm so glad I live near Ft. Bragg. Two SFGs are here, plus Delta force(not that you can tell who is Delta Force). Hopefully I can get the enlistment contract I would like and pass everything. It's also probably not that good to go tell people you ARE going to be this and that because like someone said, he had a friend who wanted to be a SEAL and he got hurt and was discharged. Low key is key when it comes to some of this stuff.

What was your AFQT score on the ASVAB?  I too am planning on the 18 x-ray program.  If all goes well I will be enlisting come January.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm 16 also and I'm planning the same thing as 223raider. Army/SF/ or USMC if I keep my head up and make it through to be good enough for SF. But first I'm finishing HS and then going to North Georgia College & State University and going to be in the Army ROTC Program.After that then I'm going to join the Army or USMC.Currently I'm in 11th grade and going in dual enrollment at a private college nearby starting this January.Meaning I would do some classes at home from 8:00 a.m. to 12  then drive college and take classes from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 for different classes like a language(going to take German) .And like 223raider I'm also going to purchase a M4/A3 LE6920 rifle but by Colt. Well theses my two cents. Good luck 223raider.

-Matt

If you stay in Army ROTC, and you go through to your MSIII year (you contract at the beginning of your MSIII year) you won't be going Marines, so you might want to evaluate things a little more, and make sure you don't want to do Navy ROTC, Marine Corps option.  Once you contract, you're in, 8 years.  I contracted this year (MSII) and it clearly says, if you break contract for anything, you owe Uncle Sam for what they put into you, and it's quite a bit.  

As far as language, I wouldn't waste my time taking German.  If you go the route you want to go, you wont be put in Germany, you'll get dumped somewhere in the Big Sandbox most likely...they don't speak German over there.  Take Arabic (that's what I'm doing, and it's the hardest thing I've ever done...much harder than Airborne school was), or if languages aren't your thing, take French...think what you will about them, but b/w the French and the Belgians, most people in North Africa/Mid-East/Sub-Saharan Africa/South East Asia are somewhat familiar with the language due to colonization.  Those two languages will serve you much more than German.  

Of course I could be wrong, as I obviously haven't gotten to a unit yet, but this is the impression I'm getting from all the service members I talk to.  I also welcome any corrections to any mistakes I might have made...I can't stand those stupid Cadets who think they know everything and never take criticism...they give us all a bad name.  Remember that more than anything else if you really do go the ROTC route.  Just because we'll start off as officers, we don't know shit, and we need to learn from our NCOs
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was your AFQT score on the ASVAB?  I too am planning on the 18 x-ray program.  If all goes well I will be enlisting come January.

My AFQT score was like an 84 or 86 and the recruiter came over yesterday and said all my scores were about 105 and I reached the 110 qualification score with a 116. I also had a 118 in the medical portion, meaning I could qualify to be a medic... He came over today with more paperwork because i'm going to MEPS this Friday for DEP...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My AFQT score was like an 84 or 86 and the recruiter came over yesterday and said all my scores were about 105 and I reached the 110 qualification score with a 116. I also had a 118 in the medical portion, meaning I could qualify to be a medic... He came over today with more paperwork because i'm going to MEPS this Friday for DEP...

After you get in the only score you need to worry about is the GT score. 100 i think is needed for SF, 110 will get you any job in the Army you want.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

After you get in the only score you need to worry about is the GT score. 100 i think is needed for SF, 110 will get you any job in the Army you want.

Yea, 110 is required to do the 18x program which is what I want to get. As long as I can pass everything medically I should be good. I passed the West Point medical so as long as I pass blood and urine tests I should be ok. Wish me luck when I go...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Can you explain that to me?  My AFQT was 99, but I'm not quite sure how you guys are getting the 100+ scores.  Do you combine some of the individual tests scores?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]
No, there are several line scores named with initials... look for the GT score, that is the important one.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top