AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok...you're running into the same problem that OPS has with those recordings posted on their website.

Your recorder has several issues that are not giving you a realistic sound reproduction.  First, it has an automatic compressor/limiter that is going to reduce sounds above about 90-100dB down TO 90-100dB, so a JDAM going off outside your house is going to sound about the same level as a .223, because they're both above the compressor/limiter's ceiling.  Also, your microphone itself is probably not mechanically capable of handling sounds above about 120dB, so its element is being driven to its limit.  Once it reaches its limit, MORE sound isn't going to do anything to the output level.

For a simple and dramatic demonstration of this, take your camcorder outside and videotape yourself shooting a few rounds unsuppressed.  Notice how the shot, which is FAR louder than you talking, sounds like popcorn, not much louder than a loud shout?  That's because the recording system (mic, preamp, compressor/limiter, and recording device itself) CAN'T handle a 160dB sound, and therefore it chops off all the excess energy that it can't record anyway.

This is why sound recordings of suppressors are bullshit.  I think it's borderline deceptive advertising on OPS' part.

Could be true, but if the sound were at the "cutoff" level, wouldn't it be the loudest thing on playback...? (I did say up front it was "non-scientific"... )

No, not necessarily, depending on how your compressor/limiter works.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok here is my thoughts.

I am thinking of having one of my AR barrels threaded to standard colt threading to accept a gemtech 223 pirhnana.

my delimma is, that i have also wanted to suppress my ruger 22 pistol for a LONG time...much longer than i have even owned the AR.

So my question is...is there anything keeping my from having BOTH my AR barrel AND my ruger barrel threaded to the same standard 1/2x28 pitch, and swapping the 223 suppressor between the two guns???

Obviously the 223 suppressor will not be AS efficient as a true 22 rimfire suppressor on the 22 pistol...But i can imagine that it would still work pretty darn good, as 22 isnt super loud to begin with.

has anyone ever done this?? Is there any reason that i CANT do this??

You will get a lot of fouling in the .223 can when shooting rimfire ammo. It's probably a safe bet that most .223 supressors aren't able to be disassembled for cleaning. I have bought separate cans for .223 and .22LR.

soaking or dipping the can in solvent would keep the fouling issue in check would it not??
As long as i am dilligent about keeping the can clean i should be GTG right?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Soaking or dipping the can in solvent would keep the fouling issue in check, would it not??
As long as I am dilligent about keeping the can clean I should be GTG, right?

Yeah, you'd probably be okay. I'm sure that others are doing it as well. I just prefer not to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: ...soaking or dipping the can in solvent would keep the fouling issue in check would it not??
As long as i am dilligent about keeping the can clean i should be GTG right?

I worried about this very thing, as I shoot a lot of .22LR in my AAC suppressor, which can't be disassembled for cleaning. I checked with the mfr, and they assured me that occasional shooting of the higher-pressure 5.56 ammo through it will "blow out" the .22 funk.

Of course, in an AR platform, this means some gets blown out the barrel, and some (read: a lot) gets blown out back into the action, making for a very nasty cleaning job. Just part of the price to be paid for the fun I have with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't do it.  .22s are funky nasty rounds.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Lead fouling would probably be your worse problem.  I've read many posts about people sending their .22 cans back to the manufacturer for cleaning because they couldn't scrape the crap out, even if the can was user cleanable.  Besides, don't you risk eroding your baffles faster the more you clean the carbon buildup off of them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The main draw back I've seen with shooting alot of .22 LR through the silencer is that when you shoot  a couple hundred rounds through it and then go back to .223 it will flash every once and a while.  QuietShooter is right. Silencers sound different in person than they do on audio or video tape. Most people don't realize how difficult and how expensive it is to analyze sound. I don't think OPS Inc. was trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes with the video. I guess a note on the screen that says " sounds are louder than they appear on this video due to the inability of video equipment to accurately reproduce the sound of a gun shot " might be in order. As a side note, I think silenced .22 LR is a hoot. If you go to a police range and lay down several silenced rifles and a  silenced Ruger Mark 2, they will play with the Mark 2 till you  run out of ammo.
Ron
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 If you go to a police rangeany range and lay down several silenced rifles and a  silenced Ruger Mark 2, they will play with the Mark 2 till you  run out of ammo.
Ron

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
ok, at least i know that im not the only idiot who thought up shooting 22lr out of a 223 can...at least i know im not alone
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Does the sound the Delta Snipers SPR make on Black Hawk Down represent what a 223 sounds like when suppressed.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if the foley artists that make the sounds for the movies know what a silenced .223 sounds like. At 7.95 for a box of 550 at Wally World, no recoil, and almost no sound, I don't think I'd call it being an idiot. More like max fun for min bucks. QuietShooter, I've never gone to a public range with silencers. It sounds like the end result is the same as at the PD range. Dirty firearms, empty brass, and smiling faces.
Ron
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So my question is...is there anything keeping my from having BOTH my AR barrel AND my ruger barrel threaded to the same standard 1/2x28 pitch, and swapping the 223 suppressor between the two guns???

It will work fine. I have a Gemtech M4-02 that does double-duty. Unless you are firing 10s of thousands of .22LR rounds through it, lead fouling will not be an issue.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top