Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Corey, you didn't happen to see the video of the AK being thrown off of the building, run over by a car, and then the mag emptied F/A did you [:D]?  If you didn't I'm sure one of the AK guys has a link to it somewhere.
View Quote

You don't think I just pulled that scenario out of my posterior, did you?

[:D]

I noticed that they threw the AK "flat" so it landed on its side.  I wonder if they had to run multiple takes.  I'm not sure any rifle could survive a 4 story (IIRC) fall directly on its muzzle or buttstock.  But that's just speculation on my part.

FWIW, I believe that it's less about the tool and more about the user.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
the problem with most of these tests is what is tested is not what would threaten a rifle during combat

5,000 rounds without cleaning? It would never come into play.

[u]Possible Tests[/u]

-  throw both AK and AR in creek/pond along with 4 mags, wait a few minutes, retrieve, 120 rounds(some slowfire - some rapidfire)

-  bury both AK and AR in sand along with 4 mags each, wait a few minutes, retrieve, 120 rounds(some slowfire - some rapidfire)

things of this nature, that would possibly come into play
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Corey, I had a feeling you might have seen that video.[:D]

I agree 100% - it is less about the tool and more about the operator.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the problem with most of these tests is what is tested is not what would threaten a rifle during combat

5,000 rounds without cleaning? It would never come into play.

[u]Possible Tests[/u]

-  throw both AK and AR in creek/pond along with 4 mags, wait a few minutes, retrieve, 120 rounds(some slowfire - some rapidfire)

-  bury both AK and AR in sand along with 4 mags each, wait a few minutes, retrieve, 120 rounds(some slowfire - some rapidfire)

things of this nature, that would possibly come into play
View Quote

Very possible and interesting tests.  I'm mainly concerned with the safety of these.  I suppose a muzzle down for the water test for say 30 seconds or so should clear it enough to safely fire?   Sand I'd have a protective cap over the muzzle to keep it out of the bore.  Btw many moons ago at Ft Dix I had my M16 full of sand and crap and it still fired, although it had a very nasty gritty sound in the action.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very possible and interesting tests.  I'm mainly concerned with the safety of these.  I suppose a muzzle down for the water test for say 30 seconds or so should clear it enough to safely fire?   Sand I'd have a protective cap over the muzzle to keep it out of the bore.  Btw many moons ago at Ft Dix I had my M16 full of sand and crap and it still fired, although it had a very nasty gritty sound in the action.
View Quote

I never had any problems with the M16A1 in Oklahoma and Wisconsin field conditions.  And sometimes the rifle would be extremely dirty.  Those who didn't know what they were doing and committed obvious handling errors (riding the charging handle forward, not properly seating the magazine, etc.) had a bunch of problems.

The only problems that I had were when obviously out of spec (i.e., severely bent at the neck) ammo was fed.  We didn't always load our own mags, so I wasn't in the "quality control" loop in terms of ammo.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
AK vs. AR

AK is good at, blah, blah, blah, blahblahblahblahblah...

AR is good at blah, blah, blah, blahblahblahblah.

Enjoy your tests.

Make mine AR.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
They are both good rifles with different ideas behind their design (as many have stated before).  Now, on with the test...  
View Quote

Very Well Said!  
All rifles are mechanical devices and are subject to fouling.  Both weapons are of superb quality and performance.  The AK family (all types) is just as effective at performing its mission as the M16/AR-15 family (all types)is at performing its mission.  If anyone disagrees, ask someone who ever stared down the business end of either weapon.  I'll bet you they will say that both are grimly effective at accomplishing the objectives set for them.  

Bottom line:
[b]THE BEST WEAPON IS THE CLOSEST AVAILABLE TO YOU WHEN THE NEED TO RETURN FIRE ARISES![/b]

Thus endeth the sermon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
here's a "test" you may find interesting.......

[url]http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91574&perpage=30&pagenumber=1[/url]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top