Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2003 4:06:07 PM EDT
I have a ARMS #40, an Aimpoint and a detachable carry handle for my flattop M4gery.  I use the #40 and the Aimpoint togather but I like how lite the rifle is when I just have the #40 mounted.

I sometimes leave the Aimpoint off and just shoot iron sights, but the #40 is in the class of BUIS, so I was thinking of cutting the carry handle and using that as my primary iron sight.

Besides protecting the rails whats the disadvantage of cutting my carry handle? Considering I have both should I leave the carry handle intact?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have both a ARMS #40 and carry handle why cut the carry handle? I didn't have the money for a #40 so when I purchased my EOTech I cut my CH. I like the fact that the cut CH is always there, no need to flip any thing up if my optic fails.

I guess it comes down to money and personal choice. I'm happy with my set up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask yourself: Have I ever carried an AR by the carry handle?

I'd go with cut it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like this?

-Troy
View Quote

Yep just like that, except I plan to use the cut carry handle when I'm not using the Aimpoint.
My whole question is if I throw on the carry handle when I'm not using the Aimpoint/#40 combo, why not just use a cut carry handle?  Like CT55 said, I never carry the AR by the handle and I have panels to protect the exposed rails.  The advantages I see are that I CAN use it with the Aimpoint if I wanted to, plus its lighter than a full carry handle.  

So I am wondering, is there a disadvantage to cutting the handle even though I wont be using it in conjunction with the Aimpoint? [i](When the Aimpoint is mounted I'll use the #40 as my BUIS).[/i]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Boom Stick,

Why use the #40 at all?  You say your using an aimpoint, so mount it forward, which is the best position anyway and use the CCH sight all the time.  The only reason I see for a flip up sight is if you are using an ACOG and need eye relief.  

Every sight change means another re-zero of the BUIS.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boom Stick,

Why use the #40 at all?  You say your using an aimpoint, so mount it forward, which is the best position anyway and use the CCH sight all the time.  The only reason I see for a flip up sight is if you are using an ACOG and need eye relief.  

Every sight change means another re-zero of the BUIS.  
View Quote

I didn't take into consideration the re-zeroing part.  

I use an ARMS throwlever mount w/catilever spacer so I get the Aimpoint mouted out as far as it will go. I like the #40 cause it folds down, I dont like having to look over an iron sight all the time.

I found that when I removed the Aimpoint and used my #40 the rifle was VERY light and handy. It just felt different and I liked it.  I guess I could get use to looking over the cut carry handle all the time, but then I'd have no use for my #40!
Decisions decisions...[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, why hack up a perfectly good upper, buy a flattop or build another AR with flattop or deal with the carry handle like some others have said.

I felt guilty about hackng the bayo off my preban upper, but it had to be. it went on a post ban lower.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Im in the process of retraining myself.  I saw a couple of folks break their KAC 300m sights and started looking at more robust BUIS's.  A Trip to Crane sealed the deal for me and Im using a cut carry handle until I can get a LMT BUIS.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, lets simplify the question.

Whats the disadvantage to having a cut carry handle on a flattop, with no mounted optics?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
None that I can see.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Go ahead and cut that rascal! if you're worried about keeping the rest of the rails protected, just get a KAC rail cover.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Boom_Stick,

I have some very clear pics of a REALLY well done CCH if you want me to email them to you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/064914.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/079476.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm having a little trouble understanding why you would want to cut the carry handle if you have no plans to use it with the Aimpoint?  If the Aimpoint was off the rifle wouldn't you just want to keep it the way it is?  I have a CCH on mine but I use my Aimpoint in conjunction with it at all times.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm having a little trouble understanding why you would want to cut the carry handle if you have no plans to use it with the Aimpoint?  If the Aimpoint was off the rifle wouldn't you just want to keep it the way it is?  I have a CCH on mine but I use my Aimpoint in conjunction with it at all times.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

Even though I have an Aimpoint I'm still faithful to iron sights.
For a while I used my rifle with just the #40 and I liked the feel of it, problem is that the #40 [i](though it is tough)[/i]    is strictly a "back-up" iron sight.  A CCH would be similar in weight and dimensions but much more sturdy.
Also, I could move the CCH further forward on the receiver if I wanted to, whereas you only have one placement option with the full handle.

If I could afford the LMT I'd buy it ASAP....that thing is a beast!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It has worked well for my so far. The site mounts solidly on the flatop.

[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312154782562513794907.jpg[/img]
[img]http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312158429653139341250.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you [i]really[/i] going to be that much harder on the rifle w/o the Aimpoint that the #40 won't hold up?  Personally I'd just stick with the #40 full time and be a little more careful with the rifle.

If you're never going to use the handle and the Aimpoint at the same time, why bother to cut it?  On the other hand, if you do cut it you could use it as a BUIS to the Aimpoint if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I plan on cutting mine for use as a back up sight with my EOtech.
Id like to know what the difference is between the cut Colt A2 carry handle and the LMT BUIS.
What makes the LMT special?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top