Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 6:42:56 PM EDT
I am looking for serious assault rifle, shotgun and pistol tactical training (urban assault, 3 gun preparation, etc.) Does anyone know where this is offered to civilians? I live in the Dallas, TX area but would be willing to travel if necessary. If you have any websites or company names, please respond. I am ex-military, and want some serious training in these three weapon areas. Along with other SWAT type training. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.blackwaterusa.com[/url] - The Virginia Hometown forum is organizing a class their for sometime next year.

[url]http://www.weaponstraining.com[/url] -
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
[url=http://www.insightstraining.com/]InSights Training Center[/url]
I haven't taken any of their firearm courses (darn concealed carry permit requires age of 21), but the unarmed self defense, defensive folding knife, and pepper spray classes were very well executed.  Professional, knowledgable, but friendly.  They seem to have some courses in Texas too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
For the carbine, I think Jeff Gonzales is the best instructor going right now.  He runs civilian classes.

http://www.tridentconcepts.com
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I have read in various forums I second the Jeff Gonzales recommendation. This guy knows what he is talking about. The same is true for for Pat Rogers. Another recommendation are James Yeager & Mike Aultman of Tactical Response.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you’re in Texas, Thunder Ranch (listed by Aimless, above) seems obvious.  However, I understand they’re going out of business pretty soon.

Another not too distant school (but very LEO/military oriented) is Mid-South Institute of Self-Defense Shooting in Mississippi:   [url]www.weaponstraining.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Midsouth is out for civvies at this time. They're booked full w/mil/leo well into next year and probably further.

Jeff Gonzales is excellent, as is Pat Rogers. Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle is supposed to be the shit, so if you can get a slot b4 they're gone, it'll probably be well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine took the Thunder Ranch urban rifle class and got alot out of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have taken most of my LE Instructor level classes from Bill Jeans at Morrigan Consulting [url]http://www.morrigan-consulting.com/[/url]. Bill ran Gun Sight for about 12 years back a few years ago before going out on his own. He has a traveling road show but is out of AZ. He teaches to non-Government employees as well. You will need to contact him to get his entire schedule as he does not put all the dates and locations on his web page.

If I remember right he did a class for the guys down in Florida. I think Newarguy did a review up on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have taken classes from a good amount of the traveling instuctors and been to Front Sight once. The Morrigan Consulting class by Bill Jeans was easily among the best of them. There's any number of great instructors out there, and a few awesome ones. Bill was an awesome instructor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Thunder Ranch isn't going out of business, they're just moving to a [i]better state.[/i]  This news from one of the NRA publications.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Join USPSA.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Check out www.tigervalley.com in the Dallas area.  The owner or one of the owners is a local SWAT cop
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#15]
bkhoward,
There are alot of great schools.  I have been to Thunder Ranch multiple times and feel that it is superb.
I would also like to highly reccomend Bill Davison.  He is just down the road from you in Stephenville.
If you want to learn the current British small arms and CQB tactics, he is the guy to go to. He is an excellent instructor and I have definitely progressed alot from his training.  If you want to learn exactly what the high speed guys are doing in Iraq from the time they stack up till the time the smoke clears, see Bill.

Bill Davison will be at Blackhawk Range in San Antonio to do a Primary Carbine class on Jan 10 and 11. This two day class will fall on a weekend.
TCLEOSE hours will be provided for Texas LEO's.
He will also teach a CQB class on Jan 12-14. **

Bill is a former member of the British Royal Marines and SBS. He is certified by the SBS as a "close quarters combat instructor" and taught for several years in that capacity in the British military. Four years ago, he moved to the US. He is a TCLEOSE certified instructor and teaches classes for several SWAT acadamies in Texas as well as running programs for civilians.
You can find out more about Bill at www.tacproshootingcenter.com .
Email me if you want to know more about the class.  AT THIS ADDRESS [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url=http://www.insightstraining.com/]InSights Training Center[/url]
I haven't taken any of their firearm courses (darn concealed carry permit requires age of 21), but the unarmed self defense, defensive folding knife, and pepper spray classes were very well executed.  Professional, knowledgable, but friendly.  They seem to have some courses in Texas too.
View Quote

I've also enjoyed the InSights classes I've taken.  Their prices are very reasonable compared to a lot of other schools.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top