Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 12:49:49 PM EDT
I want to refinish a new upper and lower in a dark OD to go better with a nice set of Camo furnature. What should I use on it and where can I get it. I do want something permanent.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2003 1:55:10 PM EDT by dawg_killer]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=175930[/url] [url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=175663&w=myTopicPop[/url] added another link....
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:39:58 PM EDT
Make sure that the receivers are clean, and degreased, and Krylon will work pretty well. Granted, its not as fancy as some of the professional finished out there, but, if you on a budget, it works great. Also, its cheap and simple to touch up, should it ever need refinishing. Go with the Krylon Camo System paint though, as it is an Ultra Flat paint. It comes in a number of colors. Most places that carry a decent selection of spray paints should have it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:53:00 PM EDT
I have used Brownells bake on OD green on my 1911, it look more like a sweetpea. [:D] I'd use tempoary bow paint camo. TG
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2003 7:19:39 PM EDT by echap]
goto [url]www.molyresin.com[/url] I just did a SAR-1 in matte black and it came out looking great. Follow the directions and you will be happy with the results. Echap edit to fix link
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 1:35:56 AM EDT by Zardoz]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye: Make sure that the receivers are clean, and degreased, and Krylon will work pretty well. Granted, its not as fancy as some of the professional finished out there, but, if you on a budget, it works great. Also, its cheap and simple to touch up, should it ever need refinishing. Go with the Krylon Camo System paint though, as it is an Ultra Flat paint. It comes in a number of colors. Most places that carry a decent selection of spray paints should have it.
View Quote
Ditto. I've used it on a rifle barrel with no problems caused by barrel heat, and it even held up after I sprayed a muzzle brake with it. Most bore solvents will dissolve it right off though, so be careful when you clean your rifle.
I have used Brownells bake on OD green on my 1911, it look more like a sweetpea.
View Quote
Ditto this, too. The stuff looks kinda funky and stinks up the house for a little while, but it's durable as all hell.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:13:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TexasGunman: I have used Brownells bake on OD green on my 1911, it look more like a sweetpea. [:D] I'd use tempoary bow paint camo. TG
View Quote
Are you referring to the Aluma-Hyde (sp?) product from Brownell's?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:54:49 AM EDT
Just their bake on finish. [IMG]http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0010/gallery_albums/TGs-LBV-~-MBR-~-Etc/MVC_248F.jpg[/IMG] TG
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:31:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 9:36:01 AM EDT by Zardoz]
Originally Posted By dawg_killer:
Originally Posted By TexasGunman: I have used Brownells bake on OD green on my 1911, it look more like a sweetpea. [:D] I'd use tempoary bow paint camo. TG
View Quote
Are you referring to the Aluma-Hyde (sp?) product from Brownell's?
View Quote
I used the bake-on Teflon/Moly finish on my Witness, which runs about $29 a 6-ounce can. The stuff smells awful, and will stink up the whole house for a little while, but it's held up nicely so far. The stuff comes out the same "pea green OD" as the baking lacquer used by [b]TexasGunman[/b] (nice looking .45, btw!). It is a LOT more durable than Alumahyde II; I tested it on a chrome-plated wrench, and after baking it on and allowing it to cool was unable to scratch it, using one of my old dog tags, and I was putting some good pressure on it.
Top Top