Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:56:11 AM EDT
I recently picked up an upper that had a cav comp attached. I need to remove it and then plan to replace it. The trouble is that I have sent 2 emails to Cav arms, with no reply regarding the size and length of the pin used to attach it. I need to drill it out and dont want to drill too deep and will need to replace it!
Anyone?

TIA,
CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Try [i]calling[/i] CavArms.  They've said on their forum over in the Industry board that they get a lot of e-mails and sometimes lose them among the spam.  But if the Cav Comp wasn't installed by them wouldn't know anyway.  If you don't need to keep the Cav Comp intact it may be easier to carefully cut it down the side of it and remove it that way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Cutting down the side would not be a good idea as it is a preban threaded barrel. I want to drill out the pin and would like to reuse the comp but am not bound by it. Removing the comp without harming the barrel is the most important thing, thus looking for the length of pin.

I will hold out a bit more before calling.

Thanks,
CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Cape, there is a good chance they will not know what length pin was used unless it is a Cav Arms upper. They sell many of the Cav Comp brakes as separate items, that's how I bought mine. The gunsmith I use installed them as a service, and they provided the brake.  The best way to remove it does not require knowledge of the pin length, but does destroy the brake (to save the barrel threads). I usually grind down to the pin head, then mill around the pin until there is enough of it exposed to pull it out with clamp pliers. Some gunsmiths (like mine) use a threaded pin or machine screw (with head ground off & welded over) so you might have to create a slot to unscrew it, or clamp and rotate it out - never force it or you could damage the threads. If you try to drill it out, you risk penetrating the bore (not good), or damaging the threads since it will be hard to control the depth.  I would alway rather sacrifice a $25 brake than a $200 barrel.

Anyway, good luck!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The Cav Comp pin is 1/4" long x 5/64" dia.. The installer likely drilled into the barrel about 1/32"
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
_DR,
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I ask for the length of the pin is to limit the drill depth. The more I thnk about it the more I lean towards your method. I just hate to waste things out of my own lazyness.

Thanks,
CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#6]

I hate to waste too. I have even though about, if the Ban sunsets, dremelling out the end of the brake to open it up completely, then rebluing, and thus turn it into a flash hider so I don't have to waste it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Cav Comp pin is 1/4" long x 5/64" dia.. The installer likely drilled into the barrel about 1/32"
View Quote

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed.
Now if I remove it without any damage, The barrel will stay 20". One way or another, it has to come off!

CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Sins,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that you are very busy, and believe that you replied. Your right, tech is not perfect.
As far as removing the comp, there wont be a need to send it off to have it removed. I will use the mill, which should give me enough control to remove that pin without any damage to the barrel. I am leaning towards cutting clearances on either side and pulling it out that way as suggested here.
Thanks again,
CH
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget to put a couple of layers of heavy duct tape or something similar over the exposed portion of the barrel - if the tool slips you could mar the finish.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top