Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 5:12:39 PM EDT
According to Connecticut law a whole list of rifles aren't aloud in the state.
One of the ones on there is "Colt AR-15 and Sporter". Any Connecticut people here? I own a 2000 Colt Match Target 20".. would that be against the law to own in CT? I ask because my work wants me to move down there and I don't want to leave the Colt behind or sell it :(
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
One of the ones on there is "Colt AR-15 and Sporter". Any Connecticut people here? I own a 2000 Colt Match Target 20".. would that be against the law to own in CT? I ask because my work wants me to move down there and I don't want to leave the Colt behind or sell it :(
View Quote

Does it say "Colt AR-15 and Sporter"? if so can you get around it by owing a Bushmaster XM-15?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah- about a few weeks back I was wondering the same thing.

You may own preban ARs in CT, as long as they are not Colt prebans ( SCREW IT! They ruin all the fun! ). A Colt postban, OTOH, is totally legal as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ah- about a few weeks back I was wondering the same thing.

You may own preban ARs in CT, as long as they are not Colt prebans ( SCREW IT! They ruin all the fun! ). A Colt postban, OTOH, is totally legal as well.
View Quote

Do you mean the Colt postban is legal or illegal?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
SA_1911,

Your Match Target is legal in CT because it is not specifically named in the CT ban.  It is the only Colt AR model that is legal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsAssaultWeaponsList.htm

Heres the list.
Firearms-Assault Weapons List

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster pre ban - legal
Bushmaster post ban - legal
Olympic pre ban - legal
Olympic post ban - legal
Colt pre ban - illegal
Colt post ban - legal

It makes no sense WHATSOEVER...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't beleave the pre ban Colt is illegal. Being that Colt is in CT....
Dumb laws that don't make any sence. Well thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Does that answer your question?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If you owned a colt pre ban and registered it with local law enforcement before a certain date you can own it in the state of CT. The reason I know this is because, I own a colt gov. model that was actually transformed to a SA M4 by friends that work in the Colt model shop.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, I forgot about that provision.

Yes, if you registered the rifle with the cops before the cutoff date, then it is legal.

About the legality thing, Joe Liberman actually lobbied to take the AR-15 off the AWB. Too bad he failed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep Colt post bans are legal. It really is F**Ked up that a product Ar-15 made in your own state can't be owned by you unless you had registered it prior to the CT Ban. Ct has had some of the most screwedup laws. Take the SAR 1 for example. It's sales was banned in May, 2002 and if you owned one prior to that date you could register and leaglly keep it. You may however by a Sar2 or 3 as they are not banned only the 7.62 AK. Who comes up with this Sh*T? Yet we can have a concealed carry permit and own machine guns!!! BobK
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#12]
SA_1911

CT laws are complex.  When you move to CT join the Coalition of CT Sportsman to stay on top of changes, etc

http://www.ctsportsmen.com/

I legally bought an SAR 1 in 2001 then it was outlawed because the DPS decided they were going to enforce the law to a tougher standard -
to keep it I had to register it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Best thing is you don't need any type of permit for long guns.And NO paperwork is required between private sales.Too bad hand guns wern't the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top