Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2003 7:53:46 PM EDT
Is there such a thing as a Consumer Reports for firearms where fair comparisons are made? I would especially like to see comparisons of the AR15s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:32:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By five2one: Is there such a thing as a Consumer Reports for firearms where fair comparisons are made? I would especially like to see comparisons of the AR15s.
View Quote
I am no expert on this, but I have seen copies of a friend's [url=www.gun-tests.com]Gun-Tests [/url] magazine and it looked promising. They didn't give every gun a "two-thumbs up". Some were actually rated "Don't Buy". I would have liked to see how my guns stacked up, but I don't subscribe (yet). I don't know what the popular opinion of that magazine is, however.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:03:50 PM EDT
Gun Tests doesn't accept advertising, but sometimes I have to question their judgements on some things. Sometimes I think they compare apples to oranges. I do like the fact that they try products out and aren't afraid to report on breakdowns though. As far as I know, they are really the only publication seemingly not influenced by trade organizations or manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:59:54 AM EDT
Have subscribed to Gun Test since 1993 and it is the only magazine that I have kept every issue. They report every facet of the test accurately and some ain't pretty. Are they perfect in their appraisals? NO! Their tests are thorough. I have been a lifetime subscriber for the last 4 years.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:07:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lazyshooter: Gun Tests doesn't accept advertising, but sometimes I have to question their judgements on some things. Sometimes I think they compare apples to oranges. I do like the fact that they try products out and aren't afraid to report on breakdowns though. As far as I know, they are really the only publication seemingly not influenced by trade organizations or manufacturers.
View Quote
I could easily argue the same thing about COnsumer Reports. Still, to answer the original question, Gun Tests is the nearest equivalent. I am not aware of an testing like was asked of the different AR manufacturers' offerings. Personally, I think too many variables in configuration and when certain design features "come into play" (i.e. chrome lining is a long term thing that would likley have litlle if any effect on even prolonged testing with new guns) would make it hard for a really good test. Of course, the same can be said for everything consumer reports tests as well. I agree that the other mags are glorified advertisements for new guns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:06:25 AM EDT
I'm a life time subscriber to Gun Tests and I think they are the closest thing to a "Consumer Reports" type magazine out there right now. Some of the Arfcom posters don't always agree with GT's findings and I don't either. GT has a very low tolerance for new guns that don't work right out of the box.They think a consumer shouldn't have to tinker with a new gun to make it work.(I'm glad spell check is working again.[beer])
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:53:15 AM EDT
I concur with the above posts. I have been a lifetime subscriber to gun tests ever since they offered a free Sig220 to become a lifetime member. Yeah, the lifetime subscribtion was $900, but a yearly subscribtion is $40, and I am only 29, so I think I got my money's worth.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:58:35 AM EDT
Thank you all for the tip on GUN TESTS.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:20:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By five2one: Thank you all for the tip on GUN TESTS.
View Quote
Now try starting a thread with "Gun Tests" in the subject line. Like "Is Gun Tests the Consumer Reports for Firearms?" I'll bet you'll get some very strong opinions going the other way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:29:41 AM EDT
yes, this place right here
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:39:37 AM EDT
I do question their competancy on testing some of the fireaarms. Some of their picks have been very questionable indeed. However they do make some good points and as pointed out they will tell the bad as well. However their review of defensive ammo is borderline negligent and should not be considered worth anything other than backup T.P.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:37:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By -Absolut-: yes, this place right here
View Quote
Absolut, are you saying the AR15.com does comparison tests? I haven't seen these results yet .
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:04:00 AM EDT
It's been a while since I've read a Gun Tests magazine, but my impression of it was that while they were unbiased by advertising & free stuff, they weren't necessarily qualified to judge/compare the suitability of what they were testing. And what I think Absolut means is that if you want a comparision between two products, all you have to do is start a thread here titled "Product A vs. Product B" and you'll get a ton of replies from people who have used both and can tell you the good and bad about them. And chances are good that at least some of them have used them for what you were going to use them for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:09:55 AM EDT
Top Top