Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/9/2003 5:36:43 AM EDT
Hi,
I am looking for a 16 inches carbine. I looked at Armalite, Bushmaster and Olympic. It seem to be a difference in front sight/gaz port arrangement between Armalite and the 2 others. On their 16 inches model Armalite use a medium lenght hanguard because the gas port is install at the same distance from the muzzle as on a regular 20 inches barrel(About 4 inches). Bushmaster and Olympic use the shorty model hanguard. On these model the gas port is futher back (about 6 inches) compare to the Armalite. I am wondering if one configuration is better than the other. Any comments???
Thanks to all.
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:44:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:02:36 AM EDT
Clovis, IGNORE Aimless as he's noted for having exquisitely poor taste !! [:D] The ArmaLite midi set-up with the gas port forward (standard) is the better and more reliable set-up.* (Yes, I have primarily ArmaLite AR-15's.) * This should start the first duel of the morning ! 5sub
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:43:14 AM EDT
Hi, why do you say it is a more reliable set-up?. I knew there are problems when the gas port is too close from the muzzle like the 11.5 inches. I tought that 4 inches was kind of a minimum for reliability therefore 6 might be better or not? Is Armalite stand alone in that type of configuration? Thanks, Clovis
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:59:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By clovis: Hi, why do you say it is a more reliable set-up?. I knew there are problems when the gas port is too close from the muzzle like the 11.5 inches. I tought that 4 inches was kind of a minimum for reliability therefore 6 might be better or not? Is Armalite stand alone in that type of configuration? Thanks, Clovis
View Quote
I'THINK' RRA may have a similar set-up. Remember ArmaLite today is borrowing not only from the earlier AR-15's but also the AR-18. 5sub
Top Top