Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 9:01:56 AM EDT
Sorry if this was previously posted.  A search did not show this suggestion before.

I had to remove carbine handguards to install a GG&G UFIR rail.  I noticed the commercially available tool to depress the delta ring looked similar to a pair of Channel Lock pliers with rubber-coated handles.  

I adjusted the pliers handle spacing to be a little smaller than the delta ring.  Put the handles on the delta ring and push down.  Works like a champ.  I tried it on a SP1 ring and worked the same way.  It makes handguard removal a one man operation.  Try it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I can just imagine asking my DI for a handguard removal tool back in my army days...he would have laughed so hard he would have had to go to the hospital. I just don't see the need for them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip!  Hopefully it will save members from departing with their hard-earned dollars for that thing ($27.50 on Bushmaster's site! )  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I just curse and grunt and do the bare hands thing.

After a few tries it always works.

Sometimes I have to psych myself up like a ninja.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use my hands. I dont find it to be hard enough to require a special tool
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I built one out of a piece of 1/4" steel bar, as is discriber on the MAryland AR15 shooters site.

Well worth the $1.50 for the metal and 10 minutes of my time!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I push down with both hands, and have my wife remove the handguards. PITA!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutley love my handguard removal tool. I don't remove them often, but when I do it makes it soooooo much easier.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

HAHAHAH wow, i just lauged so hard at the "Sometimes I have to psych myself up like a ninja." bit there. most random thing i have ever read in my life! ROFL thanks for the laughs! just what i needed on my study break!

-Dagger [still laughing]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#9]
GREAT, great tip, what a nice idea, it worked like a charm.  Thanks Rockdoc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I found the pliers handle works well too! if pliers aren't available long rubber coated screw drivers for eletrical work can get the job done

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

HAHAHAH wow, i just lauged so hard at the "Sometimes I have to psych myself up like a ninja." bit there. most random thing i have ever read in my life! ROFL thanks for the laughs! just what i needed on my study break!

-Dagger [still laughing]
View Quote

No one knows were my thoughts come from.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry if this was previously posted.  A search did not show this suggestion before.

I had to remove carbine handguards to install a GG&G UFIR rail.  I noticed the commercially available tool to depress the delta ring looked similar to a pair of Channel Lock pliers with rubber-coated handles.  

I adjusted the pliers handle spacing to be a little smaller than the delta ring.  Put the handles on the delta ring and push down.  Works like a champ.  I tried it on a SP1 ring and worked the same way.  It makes handguard removal a one man operation.  Try it.
View Quote

Rockdoc:  On a different, but related note, how do you like the GG&G UFIR?  I was thinking about getting one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of a waste of money IMHO.

To remove handguards easily:
Depress the Delta ring, Bite down on a small allenwrench while hooking it in one of the handguard holes and pull. WAA-Laah.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
WTF are you guys talking about? Special tools to remove the handguards? Why?

Sit down in a chair.

Place the butt of the stock on the ground with either side of the rifle facing you; the muzzle should be facing straight up.

Use your thumb and middle finger to place downward pressure on the delta ring making sure that they are directly opposite of each other so the ring moves evenly.

Use your other hand to pull either the upper or lower handguard out.

I do it so often that only takes a couple seconds for me now. (People always ask why the rifle is so heavy, so I pull off the upper handguard and show them the massive chunk of steel known as the HBAR)

**edited to add that I just tried it again and apparantly I did that in a dream or something, because it wasn't that easy.  [slap]

I did however manage to reliably get the lower handguard off within a few seconds using [u]both[/u] of my thumbs and middle fingers(i.e. both hands).

After fully depressing the delta ring the lower handguard pops slightly out for me(might have something to do with the bipod attached to it?) and then I can easily remove it by maintaining downward pressure with one hand and using the other to pry the handguard out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Made mine.

I've seen the tool online for as low as $12.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top