Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 4:32:54 AM EDT
I've heard from a few folks who say they clean their AR with brake cleaner. Anyone else do that? Can you simply spray it down the bore and not have to go through the patch, brush, patch routine 25 + times?

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I THINK YOU HAVE THE WRONG IMPRESSION ABOUT BRAKE CLEANER

it is NOT only a bore cleaner, although there are better products for that job, it is more or less an entire cleaner, i prefer WD-40 for general cleaning & Hoppes for the bore.......
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I think brake cleaner is to harsh a cleaner to be spraying down your entire weapon. It will remove EVERY bit of lubrication that has worked it self into the metal preventing corrossion. Try spraying your lower receiver with it, you can see the metal turning white. Thats the cleaner stripping away any lube embedded into the pores of the metal.

You spent hard earned cash on a good weapon, why not spend the time to maintain it!

I soak my bolt and BC in mineral spirits while I use Q-tips and Hoppes #9 on the lower. Hoppes for the bore with a light coat of CLP. The bolt and BC after soaking and cleaning also get the Hoppes wipe down then a light coat of CLP.

After assembly and function check I take a parts cleaning brush with a little CLP and brush down the entire weapon, then wipe down with a black cotton cloth.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I use brake cleaner on a regular bases, I do however whip the surface with a telflon cloth to get the oil back into the surface.

Then again, I shoot so much, I hardly have time to keep all my weapons clean at all times.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I use brake cleaner (the non chlorinated variety) down the bore to rinse solvents out. If I'm gonna use a copper solvent after the powder solvent I'll use brake cleaner to rinse the powder solvent completely out before I use the copper solvent. I'll rinse with it again before I apply the lube to the bore. I use it on the bolt and bolt carrier also. It does remove ALL lubricants for sure.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I use throttle body cleaner as it is made for aluminum. Than I wipe it down with spray lube that removes moisture. Litely spray inside of lower with same lub.

I don't clean it for at least 500 hundred rounds. Gun seems to enjoy a thoro cleaning.

Has anyone else noticed Wolf is filthy ammo?

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
500 hundred?? Dang, that's a LOT!! (Never made a typo myselluf, except maybe once or twice!!)
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quib, no flame intended, but I think that "white' you see is simply a residue from one of the components of the cleaner. I like to clean everything out, including the 'impregnated' lube, as that probably has some contaminant in it too. I relube thoroughly where needed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he means you can see the metal brighten up because it is having lube removed from it. I've noticed this on my Beretta Cougar, which is the only gun I use Gun Scrubber/Brake Cleaner on.

I tend not to use the spray stuff on my long guns, mostly because they don't have a lot of hidden internals (especially the pump gun, talk about simple). But the Beretta has all manner of nooks and crannies that you just can't get to with a brush or q-tip, like iniside the firing pin area and such. I use the spray to clean out these enclosed areas, and then apply some generous lube after its dry. And I only do that once every 1000 rounds or so.

I find that my new (and only) AR is not difficult to clean without using the spray, I use Hoppes to clean the bore and bolt carrier group, etc. and then lube with CLP.

~AbM

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the brake cleaner all the time on my AR.  I clean the whole weapon with it, and then go back over it all with a quick wipe with a CLP dampened black rag after putting a few patches w/ CLP through first.

The brake cleaner really speeds up cleaning for me, which leaves more time to stay at the range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I use starting fluid(ether ) to clean my firearms ,pretty well removes all  gunpowder residue/oil etc ,also evaporates quickly  leaving no residue itself... just have to relube  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I use break cleaner all the time. Cheap one dollar stuff from wal-mart, rather than six dollar gun-scrubber.
All I can say about it make sure you get the non-clorinated kind (i don't know what that does, but it sounds scarry). And MAKE SURE you oil down your entire AR well after using it.
Break cleaner takes much longer than gun-scrubber to evaporate.

Edited to add: oh yeah, ditch the rod and patches and get a bore snake...those things kick ass!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I was considering using B12 Chemtool (Carb cleaner) to clean out my gas tube, but was worried it would harm my bore.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Brake cleaner..Why? ive been using CLP to clean and lube all my weapons in particular my 11 and 6 year old preban carbines and they function flawless.I have gun scrubber and never had to use it.Regular maintenence and lube keeps them very clean and functioning properly.As far as gas tubes I havent had any build up in 11 years and probably never will.You run more a risk of getting a pipe cleaner stuck in the tube than any build up occuring.I have seen more ARs break down due to overcleaning,using unspecified cleaners or trying to protect against a perceived problem that will never manifest it self accept for being paranoid.I will admit when I first got into ARs I was afraid of this or that gumming it up or trying to prevent non problems,but once I started practicing good maintenence and understanding its design and how to care for it in different weather I worry less and shoot more especially in bad weather wich will do wonders to increase confidence in the rifle and in your skills of maintaining it with just the basics that are required to do so.And I have to agree I love the bore snakes to they are all I use,pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use starting fluid(ether ) to clean my firearms ,pretty well removes all  gunpowder residue/oil etc ,also evaporates quickly  leaving no residue itself... just have to relube  
View Quote

[size=5]GOTTA LIGHT?[/size=5][flame]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
An old Army trick I learned returning from the field after 6 weeks.  Remember having to clean your weapon before chow and a shower?
Run the lower receiver under the fastest and hottest water you can get?  Removes sand, and crusty lube.  The hot water evaporates in seconds on the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I find nitro solvents (brake cleaners, etc) to be very useful for cleaning out some "new" guns, like my ak-47 or my makarov that came soaked in 30 year old cosmoline. that goo just won't go away otherwise. I don't use the stuff on any of my "good" guns (1911, AR) because they don't really need it, and the stuff does more harm than good. I would worry about missing a spot to relube and end up severely wearing out parts quickly.

If you want an aerosol cleaner that blasts dirt away like brake cleaner but is a CLP product, try using RemOil, which I find to be very affective. I use it for quick cleanings after short shooting sessions.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top