Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/7/2003 2:21:25 PM EDT
Like a proud papa, I want to show off my new (well, sort of new) baby. After mucho research on the boards and mucho $$$, I finally have an M-4gery. In case, you're wondering, yes, it's a 16" bbl. I know that's technically not an M-4 bbl but since I can't SBR and don't like the idea of permanently attaching anything to the muzzle, the 16" will have to do. Besides, I don't mind the extra muzzle velocity. Let this be a lesson to all of you - dreams do come true

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:35:43 PM EDT
Look very nice, well worth the effort and $$$. TG
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:41:19 PM EDT
Very nice piece, now go site that baby in!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:46:22 PM EDT
Very Nice! Good Luck with it, and may your efforts be worth it!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:33:06 PM EDT
sweeeeeeet! I also like the 16inch barrel. is that a vortex?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:51:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 3:52:15 PM EDT by Matt_B]
Originally Posted By Hokie: Very nice piece, now go site that baby in!
View Quote
Did that about 6 weeks Hokie. I've just been lazy about taking pics and posting them. I have to say that I'm really starting to lean towards liking Aimpoints more than EO Techs now but I'm not looking to start that debate up again [:)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:55:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CYBIN: sweeeeeeet! I also like the 16inch barrel. is that a vortex?
View Quote
Yes, that is the Smith Enterprises Vortex. I won't get a chance to test out the flash hiding capabilities of it for a while. I know it's the best FH out there based upon pics other members have posted but I might try out one of the YHM Phantoms just because it's got teeth. [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:05:09 PM EDT
I like it, good job.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:10:11 PM EDT
That is one of the best looking M4 variants I've seen. VERY nice job!! What rail system did you go with?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 8:33:24 PM EDT by DevL]
That thing is SWEET! So what are all the components? Is that a DPMS upper? I see its a PWA lower RRA collapasable stock? Tango down grip KAC FF RAS KAC front grip ARMS mount and BUIS Is it a Comp M2? ML2? KAC rear swivel sling mount? What kind of mag is that (Labell Teflon?) What color filter is on the M900 or is it a beam shaper? Did you custom cut that KAC rail panel behind the grip? I cant see the charging handle. Does it have a tac latch? PS: Loose the front sling swivel... it looks funny just sitting there in the way and just makes noise.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:32:45 PM EDT
Outstanding [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:33:18 PM EDT
awesome looking rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:23:33 PM EDT
Fantastic, mine is very similar. The 16" barrel is good for all the reasons you mentioned. My own is a 16" M4 with Vortex. I think you are the type which I would not catch using a 11.5" barrel with 5.5" flash hider - just a loss of velocity as far as I am concerned. As long as you got the cool KAC midpoint sling set up, you can match it with KAC rail mount and M4 stock swivels. Nice to see the KAC forearm, they are much more sexy and sleek than the SIR to me. I envy your Tango Down vertical grip, I am still waiting on mine. The only upgrade I might suggest would be a Vltor stock if you like the M4 type. As DevL said, loose the sling swivel. Then all that's left may be a match trigger if you don't already have one. Your carbine is the way I think they should come as a standard deluxe package, it's very well put together and you used the choice components - WELL DONE! Time to start on an SPR now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:37:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stickman: That is one of the best looking M4 variants I've seen. VERY nice job!! What rail system did you go with?
View Quote
Thank you and I went with a KAC FF RAS. Without the Surefire, the rifle's pretty darn light.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:07:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL: That thing is SWEET!
View Quote
Thank you DevL.
So what are all the components? Is that a DPMS upper?
View Quote
It's a Bushmaster with a 1/9 bbl. I don't see myself shooting a lot of 75gr + rounds and I prefer to be able to shoot varmint rounds "just in case". I had to get a chrome lined upper now that I've learned so much here about AR's. Only one more upper to replace now [:)]
I see its a PWA lower
View Quote
Correct.
RRA collapasable stock?
View Quote
Yup. Brand new 6 position. I might put a MagPul stock on it someday but I'm not completely sold on them "yet".
Tango down grip
View Quote
Correct. The latest version with the textured surface and (2) spare Aimpoint batteries.
KAC FF RAS
View Quote
Yes and installed by Bushmaster at the factory.
KAC front grip
View Quote
Complete with a "ranger band" (thanks to Forest) which makes the KAC grip easier to hold on to.
ARMS mount and BUIS
View Quote
Yes and yes.
Is it a Comp M2? ML2?
View Quote
It's an M-2. I've got some Gen I Russian NVG right now and plan on buying either a AN/PVS-7D or AN/PVS-14 next year.
KAC rear swivel sling mount?
View Quote
Yes, that's a KAC M-4 ambi rear swivel and, it's hard to see in the pic, but there's also a KAC RAS sling swivel in the front.
What kind of mag is that (Labell Teflon?)
View Quote
It's some USGI mag (I can't keep track of them all) that was refinished in black GunKote by [url=www.shootiniron.com/]Mac's Shooting Iron Restorations[/url] down in Arizona who I can't recommend highly enough. I usually send 24-30 mags at a time and pay around $5-$6 per mag. I know the Perma Slik route is cheaper but I feel the GunKote is more durable, I like black more than gray and, for the time it would take me do refinish mags, I'd rather pay someone else.
What color filter is on the M900 or is it a beam shaper?
View Quote
It's an opaque flip cover.
Did you custom cut that KAC rail panel behind the grip?
View Quote
Actually, it's just one of the Ergo Low Profile ladder panels but it will get replaced with a custom cut KAC panel eventually.
I cant see the charging handle. Does it have a tac latch?
View Quote
No, it's just a standard charging handle. I tried a Tac Latch before but it didn't work out for me. I'll replace it with a PRI latch soon.
PS: Loose the front sling swivel... it looks funny just sitting there in the way and just makes noise.
View Quote
I hear ya and plan on it. One more little project to take care of. [:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:18:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AK_Mike: Fantastic, mine is very similar. The 16" barrel is good for all the reasons you mentioned. My own is a 16" M4 with Vortex. I think you are the type which I would not catch using a 11.5" barrel with 5.5" flash hider - just a loss of velocity as far as I am concerned.
View Quote
Yes, I am that type of person. [:)] Heck, even a 14.5" bbl is pushing it (in terms of velocity loss) IMHO.
As long as you got the cool KAC midpoint sling set up, you can match it with KAC rail mount and M4 stock swivels.
View Quote
Actually, that's what's on there now.
Nice to see the KAC forearm, they are much more sexy and sleek than the SIR to me.
View Quote
I agree. I looked at the SIRs but feel the KAC is better for my needs.
I envy your Tango Down vertical grip, I am still waiting on mine.
View Quote
That vertical grip is just a KAC with a Ranger band.
The only upgrade I might suggest would be a Vltor stock if you like the M4 type.
View Quote
If I change the stock, I will go for broke and get a MagPul. Something about the Vltors just doesn't sit right with me.
As DevL said, loose the sling swivel.
View Quote
Ok, since you're the second person to mention this I'll take care of it right now before I go to work [:)]
Then all that's left may be a match trigger if you don't already have one.
View Quote
I've been kicking the idea of a match trigger around. I used to have a lower with a Jewell trigger which is a very, very nice trigger BTW. But, I'm going to maximum durability and ease of repair so I'm going to stick with the stock trigger.
Your carbine is the way I think they should come as a standard deluxe package, it's very well put together and you used the choice components - WELL DONE!
View Quote
That's exactly what I was thinking. I wanted a carbine the way I think they all should be. It took a few months to get all the parts and $$$ together but it was worth it.
Time to start on an SPR now.
View Quote
The wheels are already in motion. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:44:55 PM EDT
I cant reccomned the Magpul stock enough. However you may lose the ability to use the KAC unit I believe at the reciever. Magpul has excellent single point sling mounts though. As for a trigger if you want maximum reliability get an Accuracy Speaks trigger. Once its fitted it is as reliable as stock (perhaps more reliable) has no set screws and the easiest repair would be to insert the old sotock trigger if it ever went bad... you cant beat it for only about $150.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:58:12 PM EDT
Excellent. Very clean PWA with all the top notch additions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:34:32 PM EDT
Aack, I was misled on the vertical grip. Now I feel better as I was wondering how you would have gotten the grip so soon. I didn't realize you had the forward mounted KAC swivel, but the rear one I mentioned is the one that mounts on the rear of the stock, and I can't make one out on your stock - only the midpoint receiver plate unit. The rear unit fits in the sling webbing slot in the rear of the stock. I agree, you need the Magpul but I wasn't sure if you prefered the standard type M4 stock which the Vltor would be the best of. There are reliable match triggers that are combat worthy, reliable, no screws. Or you can tune up your stock trigger. It really can make a big difference. Damn I love your pics! ARCHIVED to show people what I think a carbine ought to look like!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:33:19 AM EDT
I'll probably warm up to the MagPul stock in time but, for now, I'm just damn happy to have a collapsible stock on my AR!!! If I decide to get a match trigger, I'll probably try one in my SPR (once it's built) and I'll be sure to look into the Accuracy Speaks. I've read a lot of good stuff on them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:38:57 AM EDT
I'm sorry. I misunderstood which rear sling mount you were referring to. I looked at the stock mounted one but decided I wanted to keep the sling points on all my EBRs (HK-94 included) at approx. the same points. The receiver sling worked out great for me. As far as tuning my stock trigger, I'll leave well enough alone. It's a brand new RRA (not their match trigger) and it's pretty crisp as-is. Though that doesn't rule out a match grade trigger in the future. [:)] Knowing me, I'll probably end up replacing the RRA stock with either a Vltor or a MagPul eventually. Again, thanks again for the kind words AK_Mike. My and my M-gery are very happy together [:)]
Top Top