Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
Well guys I just got me a pre-ban and so things are gunna change with my post ban gun. I'm thinking of turning the post ban into an SPR or something similar. I'm thinking 18in barrel A3 upper and a 2.5-10x42mm scope. I'm also thinking 1/7 twist for shooting 75gr and 77gr rounds. I thinking of taking my current postban upper and just having the y-comp removed and a vortex added to it and using that on the pre-ban. I like the set up I have now on my post ban and thats why I'd just rather get a new upper for the post ban. The upper that is on the gun I just bought will probably be sold. Since I don't like fixed carry handle uppers and this upper is an A1 well at least the rear sight is so i assume the whole upper is A1.

So thinking about this. How good is the Vortex? is there something better to consider?
As far as an SPR set up. I'm replacing the fake collapsable butstock with an A2, but would an A1 stock perhaps be better? Chromed bore, yes or no. I've read that un chromed will be a bit more accurate, but is it that much more? Should I just stick with the chromed bore? I'm leaning to yes since I have a tendency to not clean guns after every trip to the range, though I will at least run the bore snake through it. Another thing is to muzzle break or not to muzzle break? I'm leaning to not. But I'm not sure. I got a KKF A3 break thats I ordered but it didn't make it on the gun as the barrel work was done faster than expected. Maybe I'll just use that for "looks". Thats everything for now. Thanks for any help and answers guys.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of questions...

The Vortex is the best flash suppressor, period.

I'd say no brake on the SPR if you can't get an OPS brake, which you probably can't.

As far as chrome bore or not, I'd say no.  For ultimate accuracy a military chrome lined barrel is not  the optimum.  I know the FN SPR bolt action has a chrome bore and shoots just fine.  The Diemaco chrome barrels are reportedly very accurate, but good luck getting one of those, unless you are in the Canadian military.

If you want a 1/7, which is a good choice for the heavy bullets, I'd suggest a Douglas or Krieger.  Not cheap, but top notch accuracy.  Spending $3-400 on a barrel will inspire you to clean it [;)].

Stock length is dependent on your size and the eye relief of your intended scope.  If you buy an A2 assembly and find it too long, a surplus A1 will run you about $10 at a gun show.

Don't forget the trigger, the heart of an accurate rifle...
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My bushie preban carbine is straight forward.14.5 HBAR / phantom permanent fixed loop handle and M4 hand guards.New style tele stock with H buffer and a closed bottom bolt carrier.I have an aimpoint.Like the reports from iraq 95% of engagements there are taking place under 100 yds,Where the M4 performas at its best.So I say go as small as legaly able a good red dot site for night and the HBAR takes place of the overheating issue and more reliable sustained fire.Oh and I have a handguard rail to mount a fore grip,like the grip just not a $300 RAS system.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Its not really an SPR if you dont have a brake that will take a reflex suppressor after the ban.  I suggest the Troy Industries Brake.  I also suggest if you want an SPR you go with a real CUSTOM precision stainless barrel like the SPR actually uses (Krieger over the Douglas), otherwise its really not an SPR either but more like a standard issue reciever in stead of a special purpose one lol.  Since your rifle will be used mostly prone and the optics will have greater eye relief and be mounted further back Id stick with the A2 stock.  After all thats the fixed stock used on an SPR.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Some MK12 Mod 1s do use the KAC suppressor, so I guess a KACM4QD Comp would be "correct" for an SPR build.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:39:36 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as the current ban rules are in effect, you can't use the Ops. Inc. muzzle brake on the post ban even if you could acquire one (ATFE has not approved it for post ban use).  If you are going to use a full stock, and aren't going for a spec for spec copy of an SPR, why not try one of those nice Vltors.

Vortex is the best, but if you are going prone remember that it will kick up dust as opposed to a closed bottom flash hider.  Don't bother with a muzzle brake unless you are going for looks as it's not needed on a .223.  If you are really serious about getting some exceptional accuracy, then skip the chrome and get a SS Krieger or Douglass.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its not really an SPR if you dont have a brake that will take a reflex suppressor after the ban.  I suggest the Troy Industries Brake.  I also suggest if you want an SPR you go with a real CUSTOM precision stainless barrel like the SPR actually uses (Krieger over the Douglas), otherwise its really not an SPR either but more like a standard issue reciever in stead of a special purpose one lol.  Since your rifle will be used mostly prone and the optics will have greater eye relief and be mounted further back Id stick with the A2 stock.  After all thats the fixed stock used on an SPR.
View Quote

I'm not to worried about the supressor part of it since I still haven't found anyone that will sign off on one for us civilians around here. I'm also thinking about ordering an upper reciever and building the upper myself but I've never done it before so I'm not sure if I'll go that route. Plus I don't have any of the tools to put the barrel on and all that. I want to keep it close to what the military SPR looks like, but not exact. It's more of my version of the SPR based on my environment.  

Thanks for all the responces guys.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Kurts Kustom makes a muzzle break that looks like the Ops Inc. brake and is ATF approved.
Its on their website but with no price.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kurts Kustom makes a muzzle break that looks like the Ops Inc. brake and is ATF approved.
Its on their website but with no price.
View Quote

Hmmmmm I have another project to ship off to KKF this year too if all goes well. Maybe I should just see if he can do this upper as well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top