Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/28/2003 11:01:42 AM EDT
Hello,

I keep seeing people mentioning sidecockers for AR's, could someone please explain this to me? I'm not exactly clear on what it is. Atleast I think they were referring to AR's. If not, let this thread sink.

Thanks,

Erik
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:41:18 AM EDT
itll work like a FAL, charging handle is on the side of the receiver instead of being at the rear. Ya need a special bolt or somthing to use it, I have been thinking of this myself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:57:05 PM EDT
There are a couple of specialty shops that do a side charging version, and [url=dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=SC-UR]DPMS[/url] makes a commercially available receiver.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:54:17 PM EDT
I have one of the DPMS units that I just picked up off this forum. It really is a nice looking piece... The sige sharging handle soesn't seem to come out of the receiver but I can post pics that shows how they did it... I am planning to use it with my Bolt-Action Post-Ban AR-15 Pistol project... [url]http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/postbanar15pistol.htm[/url] I wish it had been a standard height as it will look a little funny with the KAC RAS now but I do like the handle soI am goind to switch it over...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:17:19 PM EDT
How good are the sidecockers at at keeping out dust and crap compared to a normal AR?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:52:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By az-ar: How good are the sidecockers at at keeping out dust and crap compared to a normal AR?
View Quote
az_, I had one put on an AR-10 and I would say 'not very'. 5sub
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:22:07 PM EDT
I don't think the DPMS one wouldn't be much different then any other AR-15 upper. There is no dust cover and there is definately mor eplaces for the junk to collect but we gun nuts like an excuse to smell a little solvent, right? I can't get pics tonight but I will try to do so but the webpage above shows the system pretty good...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:33:36 PM EDT
[url=http://www.gunkits.com/catalog.pdf]ASA Catalog[/url] This is a PDF file....top 1/3 on the left of page 7. This will be the upper I use to base my Suppressed 300 Whisper project on. Why? So that with the gas system turned off I can operate the bolt without moving the rifle from my shoulder. With the gas system on it will function as usual. Just my design spec......nothing other than that...
Top Top