Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 5:51:32 PM EDT
Anyone have any tips for removal of a barrel nut (trying to install a free float handguard). I have a DPMS wrench and the nut wont budge. I have saturated the nut with oil, lucked the barrel in a vise, and i am turning it counterclockwise. Still the nut wont budge. Am i doing something wrong....any tips? Thanks guys

Rob
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:17:40 PM EDT
First off don't laugh ok.... freeze it. I have a friend that's a local Nat. Guard Armorer and asked him to verify this practice I had heard about because I figured it had to be a joke. Guess I was wrong as he explained about the steel nut and the aluminum receiver being of different metals of course and a bunch of other things. He ended explaination by saying if it was something worth saving they did this... if not the nut was cut off. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:27:41 PM EDT
thanks CMtaylor...i'll give it a try...i'll store the upper by my frozen fish...seriously i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks rob
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:40:57 PM EDT
Freezing the barrel can help. The only problem I have seen from using this method is condensation. When you remove the barrel from the freezer condensation can form on the barrel. When using a barrel vice, the condensation may cause the barrel to slip in the blocks. Good luck!
Top Top