Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 11:20:28 AM EDT
For home defense, check out these tests.
Hirtenberger EXPANSIONS - MONOBLOCK BULLET
( EMB - bullet )
Caliber 9 x 19 mm Luger

ballistic gel, pretty impresive as well.

now for the HARD targets.

Just thought i'd share.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:03:50 PM EDT
Great results![8D] Now where can I get some?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:30:13 PM EDT
Yes, do tell.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:16:53 PM EDT
Was easy to do a google search on this and find articals. Looking a the design it would be interesting to play with but looks to me like the expanding knives of death could just as easily clog shut rather then peel open. I also did not like the reference to lighter recoil and slower rate of fire in subguns which tells me it's weak loaded.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:33:11 PM EDT
From my experence with Hirtenberger ammo it is NOT underloaded...More like a 124gr+P++
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:24:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: Was easy to do a google search on this and find articals. Looking a the design it would be interesting to play with but looks to me like the expanding knives of death could just as easily clog shut rather then peel open. I also did not like the reference to lighter recoil and slower rate of fire in subguns which tells me it's weak loaded.
View Quote
Dude, a 9mm bullet going at 1500 FPS doesn't sound underloaded to me...and no, they will clog shut only when hitting hard surfaces and expand, only when hitting soft ones...smart ammo. HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:26:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2003 12:20:52 PM EDT by David_Hineline]
Ok you made me get out the math. two loads available. 77gr 1640'/sec, 460/lbs energy at muzzle barrel 180'lbs of energy at 100 yds. 92gr 1492'/sec 455'lbs energy at muzzle 215'lbs energy at 100yds. a Std. 147gr subsonic has 1050'/sec 360'lbs at muzzle and 277'lbs at 100yds. So the limits to this special bullet would be close range, really light really fast bullets tend to expand quickly with little bullet mass to carry them deep. This is good in some situations but a bullet that will expand and blow up going through a light jacket will just impact and bruise on the meat of the subject, will not penetrate any kind of glass or hard obstruction and will only expand at high velocities which drop off fast. You can see the energy loss at distance compared to a heavier bullet. Of course this light round would be usless in a silenced SMG. The AR15/M16 type of weapon does work well with a light bullet and weak recoil pulse loads, some other weapons do not. A full auto Glock does not like 115gr bullets let alone anything lighter. Looks to me like this would have some use up close, in targets with lots of exposed soft tissue. As for expansion typically all manuf. say thier bullet expands, few do many clog, if you are basing your opinion of this bullets expansion on the manuf. commercial then don't try some for yourself. Should be really goood if a bunch of wathermelons attack. They love to explode impressivly with high velocity bullets. The fact that there is no lead in the bullet and it's high velocity might give it some penetration on hard objects if it does not expand. Order some up and let us all try it. Man has been looking for the magic bullet since gunpowder was invented. Also the below is only one description of banned armor piercing ammuntion. (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or The makeup of these bullets is Copper and ZN maybe that's Zinc I am not sure so a combination bullet of these I am sure should make it illegal just on that alone.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:48:18 AM EDT
without a scale its hard to tell what the penetration is, i personally like my HG ammo to do at least 12-14". What is the deal with that 1st or 2nd picture of the gel block on the yellow background. Is that a fast shutter picture of the gel block as it extends after the exiting bullet or was there something wrong with the gel that resulted in it staying deformed?
Top Top