Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2003 5:44:32 AM EDT
I have just got a sp1 whith colapsiable stock.  My quston is can I change out the uper to one whith forward asist. The gun is in good shape so I want to be able to put it back to original.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can change the upper, but why do you want to? There a lot of people who like the uppers without the FA so they can build an early Vietnam era rifle.

As far as changing the upper goes, all you will need is the correct tools to do it.

Edited to add: Welcome to the site! [beer]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The quick answer is yes, but you'll need one special part to do it.

If you, in fact, want to put a true A2 type upper on it, you're going to have to use an adapter front hinge pin to match the smaller front hole of the upper to the large hole of the SP1 upper. CDNN has the very best of the adapters ([url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]). Go to the AR15 parts section and you'll find the item.  The part is only $6, but CDNN has a flat $10 shipping fee for all parts orders, so see if you can find some other stuff to order, like spare mags[:D]

Another alternative is to look for a late SP2 upper, which will have the forward assist and a matching size front hole. It will also have the original flip type rear sight, though; not the current adjustable type.

I've done it both ways. Had an A2 type upper, with the adapter on my SP1 carbine for several years, but decided that I liked the original, less complicated look of the early type sights better, and replaced the upper w/an SP2 big hole upper a few years back. Lucked on to one at a gun show, and have been a happy camper ever since[:D]

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for info all the fancy parts on these rifles makes me want to git in game.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You could also search for an upper from a Colt Sporter (large front pivot pin). Perfect fit.

My "improved" SP1:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid77/pa603dafc9b02737f78d57b74939724ca/fb39ca86.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top