Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2003 4:52:48 AM EDT
   How miny of you Nutt Busters out there really do this ?  I myself use the mid section of the stock and some times all the way back.   Gator
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I do it when zeroing the rifle, but that's it.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
all the time that is the way the rifle feels comfy when I have it shouldered.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Puts your eye in the right spot if you have an acog mounted.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the charging handle latch is holding solid, I don't mind getting close to it.

But if it's not latching securely, I'd rather not.
[B)]

CJ

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I find it perfect.  Puts my eyes right on the sights and provides a consistant cheekweld which is critical for consistant shooting.

But, YMMV.  Whatever works for you.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I do.

But I've got a honker the size of a mailbox.  Better than resting it against the front sight post.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of "Nutt Busters" put thier noses to the charging handle because that's how we were trained during Basic. It's a training technique used to make sure that recruits get the same sight picture and consistent results on the range. And it works.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep.

When I take the scope off..
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do.

But I've got a honker the size of a mailbox.  Better than resting it against the front sight post.
View Quote

Same here, however the first time, well, I thought it sounded completly insane!  But it works great, and never even feel any recoil on my nose.

Also gets the right sight pic every time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I do not have arms like a gorilla or a neck like a giraffe, so I have a hard time understanding nose to charging handle, much less accomplishing it!  Of course, I am not a tall guy (5'6", 145 lbs) so I could probably take another 1/2 inch off an A1 stock and find it comfortable!

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I do.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Roger that.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
It's the best way to get a consistent sight picture.  I may not do it when I'm at the rock pit blasting at cans, but I do it every shot in competition.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep.

When I take the scope off..
View Quote

RIGHT!  Only when not using my EoTech or 2.8x10x44
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do not have arms like a gorilla or a neck like a giraffe, so I have a hard time understanding nose to charging handle, much less accomplishing it!  Of course, I am not a tall guy (5'6", 145 lbs) so I could probably take another 1/2 inch off an A1 stock and find it comfortable!

View Quote

i hear ya [5'7" 125 lbs] so i switched to a stubby stock. prob. solved.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a small to average guy and I do it because that's the way I've always practiced. It's comfy, my firing elbow stays down, and it works in the same position for when I'm using both the Aimpoint and BUIS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I do it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The shorty stock on my M4 carbine makes shooting with my nose to charging handle fast and perfect. Not the case with my fullsize ARs with A2 stocks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Nose to (or near as possible) the charging handle. It gives a solid, consistant cheek weld. It gives a proper sight picture. It helps in getting correct sight alignment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

i hear ya [5'7" 125 lbs] so i switched to a stubby stock. prob. solved.
View Quote

And I'm 5'7" & 165 lbs w/ a 31" sleeve on my dress shirts.

While an A1 length stock is a little easier to get into, an A2 is what I have to use for work. Nose to charging handle, cheek bone resting on the top of the stock in every position helps to ensure a consistent sight picture, just as I was instructed in '84.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
yes
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I hadn't heard of it until I started hanging out here.  My M-16 training was enough to "qualify" in NROTC and I never fired a service rifle for score until 18 years later and then it was an M-14.  I have several Springfields in 30-06 and 45-70 and putting your honker down that close is not a good idea.

So I tried it the last few times I had the black rifle out and it worked our real nice.  And I tried it as close as possible (adjusting the cheek weld) on my 92 Winchester clone and my accuracy went up with that too.  So give it a try.

I aint gonna try it on the big boys though, thank you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do, 6' 5" 200 lbs and arms like a gorilla---man I'm one ugly dude!  Anyway the A2 stock saved me.  Infact I've thought about adding a 1/2" or so.
Mod your rig to get comfy and try that nose/charge hndle, you'll like it![:D
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#25]
yup
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm 6'1" 185lbs.

I vary the length of pull on the stock I use depending on situation.  But I ALWAYS plant my nose right behind the charging handle.  It has become automatic - just the way I like it.  Maybe some day I'll have optics and won't do that, but right now it's all Irons! [:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I'm no "Nutt Buster" but I shoot the AR-15 with schnoz to charging handle. Even though I'm only 5' 8", I have a chicken neck and gorilla arms. The A2 stock is just about right for me. Heck, when I handle 1903s and M-1 Garand/M-14s I think they were designed by midgets!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Not me, I hang way back on the stock and have no problem achieving a consistant sight picture, same for pistols, shot and bolt guns.  It's where I am comfortable, and shoot best, and that's all that matters.  When selecting optics, eye relief is of paramount importance to me.  I would never make it in the military.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#29]
The important thing here is consistancy. Everything the same, everytime.

I have been shooting them that way since the early 80's. I coulndt change now if I tried.

ch
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not me, I hang way back on the stock and have no problem achieving a consistant sight picture, same for pistols, shot and bolt guns.  It's where I am comfortable, and shoot best, and that's all that matters.  When selecting optics, eye relief is of paramount importance to me.  I would never make it in the military.
View Quote

with the peep rear sight, I get the best sight  pic with my head way back on the stock
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The important thing is follow-through.

Keeping your nose on the charging handle helps absorb recoil and retain your sight picture between shots.  It makes your head a better recoil absorber.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#32]
  I like my nose just the way it is BIG ! [ROFL]  I think a good site pitchure is where you feel comfortable and at what distance from the site that gives you the front and rear site pitchure you like shooting.  
  That could be any where on the stock.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Thats how the drill sergeant taught me how to do it at Ft. Benning in 1990. I've been doing it the same for the past 13 years...and my nose still looks the same.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Always have, always will.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#35]
One 3-day class I went to had all the students firing at 100yrds until everyone was sighted in and getting good groups.  This was with nose-to charging handle. Then they had us slightly move our nose to different areas.  Just about everyone's groups went off.  

We then went back to the nose-to-charging handle, and got our good groups back. Its amazing what just an inch or two back does.

The key wasn't really having the nose up close, it was having your head in the same spot each time= consistency.   The nose/handle technique is just the easiest way to get a reference point for your nose.    
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#36]
That might be for the AR type rifles, but what about all the OTHER rifles without charging handles?  Seriously, if you can't maintain a consistant position without the aid of a charging handle, you have a problem.  I think those groups went awry because those shooters were NOT USED to a different position.  I put my head down the same place on most all my rifles because of muscle memory - I know where my head is supposed to go cause it feels the same every time.  It also helps because when I shoot my FAL's, bolt guns, shotguns, whatever - my head is in a consistant place regardless of what I am shooting and makes me more consistant overall.  If the only rifle I was ever going to shoot was an AR, then an index would be of use.  Most people I know who nose-to-CH don't touch the CH with their nose, they are backed off, which is then no different that placing ones head anywhere else on the stock (if your nose isn't touching, how do you know how far back to put your head?).  I suppose some actually maintain contact, but none that I know personally.  Most I know touch, then back off to a personal point, which is what I do it's just I back waaaay off.  As Kisara said, consistancy is the key, and I simply don't reply on a charging handle to make me that way, I train my body just as I train when using handguns, shotguns, or bolt guns.  Whatever works for the individual though....
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#37]
yes - learned it in the army as a 17 year old private.

BRM, zeroing...  shot group was pretty big, hadn't shot much at that point in my life.  

One of the range cadre told me to try it.   BOOM!   Much more consistent sight picture and my shot group got a lot tighter!  I was a believer.

I guess it is no different than putting a piece of tape or a rubber band on your stock to get your cheek in the same position all the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top