Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2003 1:28:05 AM EDT
Has anybody ever used them for hunting coyotes?? If so what kind of performance are you getting and at what maximum range have you found them to be effective?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
packmule, I don't know about VLD's, but I have used Black Hills 50gr VMax remans.  Extremely accurate.  Unless you hit a large bone, they tend to make a .22 hole going in, with no exit (because they expand/fragment violenty after entry).  Others prefer the 52 gr psp's, but I don't find these to be nearly as accurate.  Ultramax also makes some decent VMax loads in 45, 50, and 55 gr (also remans).  These loads are somewhat more expensive than average, but they whack coyotes with authority.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to assess the performance of the 68/69/70+ gr. for a long-range load out of a custom upper. I'm interested in trying to snipe dogs at long-range, but man it's hard to find any info. about it. Heck, i'm not sure if anybody else is doing it. Thks. for your reply.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I plan on using 68/69 grainers on coyotes when I get my upper built.  I think I read on here, that they aren't fragmenting any further than 55 grain out of a 16 inch.  150 yards or so.  Not any further, just harder.  I would like to try some 60 grain VMAX too, but they are just a flat base bullet.  55 VMAX is good I am sure.  Some people talk about shooting them with 40 grain VMAX but I would think you would have to about get them from the front.  Those tiny things would be like a bomb.  You need a little more mass to carry into the boiler room IMO.  Of course, if you are shooting for fur, and all your shots are going to be less than 100-125 yards, then you could probably get away with it.  They even make a 35 grain VMAX now.

Basically, the further you go on the extreme ends of the weight range, the more limited your applications are.  Just less so on the heavier side.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#4]
123 got a buddy of mine that's shooting the 40's out of his @ around 3900 or so, and is sold on their performance for fur. Believe it or not he shot one @ around 700 yds. on the run (his 5th or 6th shot as i remember). the coyote rolled dead out on impact. The bullet penciled the lungs, but killed the dog, so... Actually i've been using the 69 gr. Nosler Comp. on dogs last year. I've also got a 4.5-14X Fullfield II on top with Ballistic Plex reticle zero'd to around 6 or 700 (don't have my notes with me now-- i'm at work). I hit every dog i ranged last year out to 600 yds. (only 3, i think)except one (which was right @ 600). I gut shot a 550 yd. dog, and lost it, but the wound must have been a good one as there was a lot of blood around, but no snow so tracking was impossible. Shot another @ 450 or so, and had a quarter size exit wound.

My gun is a .223 AI, and i'm getting around 3100 with good case life. I'm trying the 70 gr. JLK (B.C. .410 according to Jimmy Knox) this year, but i haven't shot at a coyote yet, so will see.

I think the 55 Blitzking has the highest B.C. of all the std. plastic-tipped bullets available-- even better than the 60 V-Max.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top