Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2003 1:54:19 PM EDT
I don't know what section I should put this, but I had a question.  To those who shoot a variety of calibers, does anyone use electronic hearing protection.  

I have a pair of decent muffs, but weak enough that when I sit beside someone shooting a gun that puts out lots of side concussion, it can still make my ears ring(lightly), so I definitely need something new.  Of course I think the most successful is the soft paper towel, but hey, there has to be a better alternative.

Anyway, I would like something I could use a.)I can talk to people at the range with them on b.) listen while hunting.  Well, it seems the only thing would be an electronic unit.  I know it seems everyone makes a unit, some are $70, some are $170.  Anyone have good experience with one, that still comfortably protects agains magnum cartridge rounds?  What about the Walker Game Ear??  

Thanks,

Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=162118&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't know what section I should put this, but I had a question.  To those who shoot a variety of calibers, does anyone use electronic hearing protection.  

I have a pair of decent muffs, but weak enough that when I sit beside someone shooting a gun that puts out lots of side concussion, it can still make my ears ring(lightly), so I definitely need something new.  Of course I think the most successful is the soft paper towel, but hey, there has to be a better alternative.

Anyway, I would like something I could use a.)I can talk to people at the range with them on b.) listen while hunting.  Well, it seems the only thing would be an electronic unit.  I know it seems everyone makes a unit, some are $70, some are $170.  Anyone have good experience with one, that still comfortably protects agains magnum cartridge rounds?  What about the Walker Game Ear??  

Thanks,

Gundraw
View Quote

I've used the ProEar Stalker LE model.  I liked most of the features, especially when a gunshot goes off, the sound does not cut out entirely, like most other brands.  The sound is compressed down to a safe level, so you don't get cutouts. They also didn't interfere with the collapseable stock on my AR.  Bad point was that it only reduced the noise by 20DB, which is not enough when firing rifles. Especially doing fun house/indoor work.  I had slightly ringing ears afterward.  I also tried them at work, where I was around high speed stamping presses all day. 20DB reduction simply wasn't enough. I had to use earplugs plus a regular 29DB muff...

If you plan to shoot magnum rifles, get one of their other models (29DB reduction, I think).
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My Peltor ComTac muffs were one of the best investments I've ever made.

[img]http://www.aearo.com/pics/Com_avgr2.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.aearo.com/html/products/peltor/comtac.htm]ComTac link[/url]

It runs on AA batteries and they last a long time-you can use AA rechargables too. I plug my Walkman into mine and listen to music or AM talk radio when I'm shooting alone-most others don't have that feature. You can attach a boom mic to it as well if you ever needed to.

Your mileage may vary, but prior to buying mine I tried on two other brands at my local gunstore and the ComTac was the most comfortable for me. It's also rediculously light considering what it is, so you barely know you're wearing it.

At the end of the day it folds into a very small package and takes up very little room in the range bag.

I give it five stars!! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to use the Peltor 7, but they were too bulky for my contact with the stock.  So I went to the Peltor Tac 6.  Now I use the ProEars Pro Slim Dimension (NRR 21dB, 12.2 ozs.).  I did this because as billco mentioned, they compress sound rather than shutting off, so you can always hear.  It's less disconcerting as well.  However, when I shoot .50BMG, I use earplugs with them which I believe are rated at 29dB or better.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Another advantage of the Peltor Comtac is it is truely intergrated for communication. Here is my dual radio setup which allow simultaneously support of operating two radios and with ambient sound protection.
[img]http://home.graffiti.net/3par/as-dual-comtac.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The headset sounds like it's great.  That would be nice to have something that just dampens the sound instead of cutting it out.  Not that I would have a need (probably) for radio integration, it would be nice to be able to listen to some tunes while you shoot.  

But I guess I have one concern.  It seems there are quite a few situations where everyone is feeling the need to use secondary hearing protection (set of earplugs inside the muffs).  It's not that I don't think these muffs have some sweet features, but if I'm going to have to pay around $200 for a pair of these, that last thing I want to do is worry about putting plugs in.  Does this seem a little silly to anyone else??  I mean, I'm buying them FOR ear protection, it seems they kind of lost the original intent and instead focused more on gadgets and special features, not that those special features are bad, but they should be additions, not compromises.  

I'm still pondering if 20NRR is even enough to cut down the edge on my girlfriend's nagging.  For $200, shouldn't it be able to say something back that will shut her up without me getting slapped?? hehe.  

Seriously, I like the ability to attatch a discman walkman. etc, and the sound suppression, not cutout, but that's not crucial.  What I definitely want, is something comfortable, able to cut down the blast, of any of the large caliber rifles (excluding .50BMG, I can make special arrangments if I ever get my hands on one of those).  What would you suggest that seems to fit that criteria??

Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, if you can't handle plugging in other stuff, there's nobody forcing you to...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Your SOL.  As far as I know, none of the electronic muffs provide as much protection as you are asking for.  Go get yourself a pair of Peltor Ultimate 10 muffs and wear your walkman earphone buds in your ears underneath.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Peltor ComTac. The best investment I ever made.

Actually my sister-in-law got them for me for my birthday. Now that's family !
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I did find some different ProEars that offer 26DB reduction.  Go here:

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ProEarsProMgDm1
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
They are relatively cheap $115.00 and work especially well if your into shotgunning (very slime).

No way I'm paying $ 115.00 for slime!  I prefer my hearing protectors clean and dry, thank you!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone try Walker's Power Muffs **QUAD**?
There rated at NNR 24db, and very low profile!  I always wear plugs rated at 29-33db as well.  

With active muffs, they over power the plugs as if you have no plugs on at all, and can hear great!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone try Walker's Power Muffs **QUAD**?
There rated at NNR 24db, and very low profile!  I always wear plugs rated at 29-33db as well.  

With active muffs, they over power the plugs as if you have no plugs on at all, and can hear great!
View Quote

BTW, they are about $259.00!  WOW!  But if it makes shooting more fun and helps save my ears, its well worth it for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
A vote for Peltor 6S.  I also wear plugs with them at the range, but I shoot some LOUD stuff.
A plus is hunting with them, as they let me hear the elk this year while I was moving into my ambush area.  I found a place to wait, hearing the elk move in my direction, and soon had a 4 x 4 at 25'.   Without the hearing amp.,  I would have moved right past those elk .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top