Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
Hi
IDFM203 directed me here fromwww.militaryphotos.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5576&start=80&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
where some nice people asked me to do a review on the tavor.
It is gonna take some time and meanwhile i wanted to ask for your help.
What would you guys like this review to include other then my experience as an end user.
I was thinking about TAVOR vs other assult rifles in use by ISRAEL
and TAVOR vs other bullpup rifles.

Please feel free to contact me

PRETORIAN
OUT!!!
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/105387/7.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/105387/23.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/105387/29.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/105387/4.jpg
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the Tavor right handed only, or does it have a left handed version like the Aug?
Have heard their might be a US version, depending on the AWB.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be interested in:

-performance with differnt weights of bullets, from m193 to the new 77 gr. stuff.  

-mag changes

-reliabilty in adverse conditions

-trigger pull (bullpups are usuall not great)

-issues with the trigger not being enclosed by a conventional trigger guard

-muzzle blast with end of barrel closer to face

THANKS
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the Tavor right handed only, or does it have a left handed version like the Aug?
View Quote

It has ejaction ports on both sides and you can change the bolt for left hand shooters.
[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/109550/0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/109550/1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
How quick is the change?  Change the bolt for a different one, or change position (rotate?) the one already in use?  Tools required?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The ejection port can be switched from one side to another, but the procedure requires a field stripping of the weapon, thus not really feasible during actual operational deployment,
same bolt, no tools needeed.
[img]http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/tavor/micro-d1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the barrel length and twist ??

5sub
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
There are tree barrel lengts
18,15,10, all in 6 grooves, 1:7" RH twist
oh yeah and the civilian version with the 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]

How does it compare with the M16 family of rifles in the following areas:

1. Reliability in sand, dirt and mud (extreme contamination)

2. Maintenance (personal level)

3. Durability of parts/whole

4. Accuracy

5. "feel" to shoot.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I think we are running the risk of getting this thread locked but I'll gamble.  Do you have any experience with the HEZI?  Do you know if it will be offered in the US as a parts kit?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there is I'm getting one, thats a sweeeet rifle
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has ejaction ports on both sides and you can change the bolt for left hand shooters.
[url]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/109550/0.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/109550/1.jpg[/url]
View Quote

So finally Zahal and Ta'asiyah S'vait recognize that there are left handed Yehudim, eh. You'd never know it from the way they designed the Galil[:D]

Tell them "todah rabah" from this southpaw Hebe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If there is I'm getting one, thats a sweeeet rifle
View Quote

It was Barrett that was thinking of either getting them from Israel, or building them here in the states. Have not heard a word from them about it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
That thing sure looks sweet as hell, but here's the most important question:

How much will it cost? (or at least an estimate for civilian sales)

If it's anything over $1,900, you might as well get a Styer Aug...

Btw 700th Post!!!
[bounce]  [banana]  [bounce]  [banana]  [bounce]  [banana]  [bounce]  [banana]  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Barret was going to make them a couple years ago.  The deal fell through.  The AWB has nothing to do with our being able to have these rifles.  If its made here we can have them if not we cant.  The only thing that will change is the muzzle devise.

I would like to know how do you mount:

IR laser like PEQ2
Flash lights

What is the recoil impulse like compare to an M4?

What is the rifle like shooting prone compared to an M4?

How does a sling attach?  What are the sling options?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The only thing that will change is the muzzle devise.
View Quote

Yeah... Everybody will be putting on flash hiders.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont know what it is, but I like that thing. I have liked the looks of them since the first time I saw a pic of one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I really like the look/idea of this.  Still needs rails somewhere for mounting accessories though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Like most all Bullpups the base flaw is not being able to shoot strong hand slash weak hand. An Ambi weapon is better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Like most all Bullpups the base flaw is not being able to shoot strong hand slash weak hand. An Ambi weapon is better.
View Quote

The Tavor is fully ambidextrous. The bolt group converts from right side eject to left side eject in a matter of seconds, without tools.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Only seconds?  _DR, is that recent information you found, because back in November:
Quoted:
The ejection port can be switched from one side to another, but the procedure requires a field stripping of the weapon, thus not really feasible during actual operational deployment,
View Quote

So...is it the time for a field strip, or is it just seconds?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The Tavor is fully ambidextrous. The bolt group converts from right side eject to left side eject in a matter of seconds, without tools.

View Quote

I believe what David was referring to was being able to transition to your week side if your strong side became wounded or unusable
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
OH MAN .. needless to say i love my aug and uzi's .. and cant WAITE to get my hands on a Tavor .. cant WAITE !
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I once put a 16" barrel on my AUG...BIG MISTAKE!

The muzzle blast so close to my face was HHORRENDUS!

A barrel that short on a bullpup is just NOT WORKABLE!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
what ? .. my factory black aug has 16 inch barrel .. it works fine and the blast isnt close to my face at all .. not sure what you mean .. sorry ..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Only seconds?  _DR, is that recent information you found, because back in November:
Quoted:
View Quote

So...is it the time for a field strip, or is it just seconds?
View Quote

Stratohopper,
 We had to be able to field strip our M16s in less than 30 seconds and reassemble in less than 30 seconds. Praetorian stated that a field stripping was necessary to switch the ejection port, from what I have read about the Tavor, it takes no more time to field strip than an M16. As I see it, anything less than 1 minute is so I still believe I made an accurate statement.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#27]
The Tavor has some nice featurs. I have handled it and quite frankly it is very slow to get to the shoulder and is awkward as hell, human engineering is poor compaired to the M16/M4.
Inserting a new made is also slower due to the fact you have to push the weapon away from your shoulder or you can get interferrance from your other gear, worse than the AUG.
There are also serious limits as to what devices can be mounted in a practical way compaired to the rails we use on our combat weapons.
Just some of my humble observations.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
SORRY INSERTING A NEW (MAG)!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]
-_DR
Thanks for the rationale.  I wasn't aware of relative field strip times.  Your statement makes much more sense now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
-_DR
Thanks for the rationale.  I wasn't aware of relative field strip times.  Your statement makes much more sense now.
View Quote

I used to be able to field strip and assemble blindfolded (not in 30 sec), but it has been awhile. But the other thing is, I have not actually field stripped a Tavor, so I am also making an assumption based on third party info, so your challenge is still valid unless Praetorian can give us a real world field strip (with bolt ejection port side change) time.

must say that this is the first weapon I have seen that allows this level of adaptibility. I wonder how hard it would be to come up with an AR15/M16 receiver that has this functionality.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top