Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 12:59:41 AM EDT
I use a CAR15 as a patrol rifle. I like the collapsible stock nice and short for use with body armor, and I also like the ability to stretch it out to full legnth for marksmanship or my own private shooting. Basically I want my cake and to be able to eat it too. The problem I have is that the extension tube on the two I have is metal. The best quality stock I use is a 4-position from Colt, and while the stock itself may be plastic the extension is still cold cold metal, and I've found that my cheek does not do well next to this. Short of going to a regular-style stock, are there any solutions that any of you know of? Any plastic extension tubes that are quality enough to not be breaking on me?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/7000.asp[/url]

[url]bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/7200.asp[/url]

Telestock cheekpieces.

7000 is for original Bushmaster fiberlite telestocks. 7200 is for newer ribbed styled telestocks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
How's the quality on those? I remember older Fiberlites that were very loose and had as much play in them as did the older aluminum 3-position stocks.
I take it you're a fellow night-shifter?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How's the quality on those? I remember older Fiberlites that were very loose and had as much play in them as did the older aluminum 3-position stocks.
I take it you're a fellow night-shifter?
View Quote

Those are cheekpieces to fit on the telestock. I think they are a friction fit. They are $35, so they may be cheap enough to experiment with.

First link has an image with it.

Yes I work 11p-7a, but I'm not at work, just keeping my hours straight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not using carry-handle mounted optics though. I have a cheekpiece like that if I did. Bad thing is though I carry the rifle ready to go one click from collapsed. All I have to do is bail from the squad and charge the action. A cheekpiece like that requires me to either start out with a fully extended stock (defeating the purpose or the collapsible) or to extend, charge, and collapse the stock, legthening the time needed. Plus if I have a malfunction that requires me to cycle the action, the charging handle can't travel far enough back. That hook on top prevents it.
I'm on days off too, 6p-4a. Trying to stay adjusted as well. Stay safe, and thanks for the help with ideas.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If you keep the collapsible at a fixed pos. most of the time and shoot w/ it there, try a piece of inner tube over the metal portion of the extension.  SDome overlap it to the stock as well to avoid the space between the 2.

Good luck, hope it works out, stay safe.

S2
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
... are there any solutions that any of you know of? Any plastic extension tubes that are quality enough to not be breaking on me?
View Quote

But of course - the VLTOR ModStock, much better cheek weld:
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0XADaAuAcSlOWSS8awVJXAN71!PxhFAJhMD70j*GoDsU6!OAEo*cXXdEOmtVT7MRMc3mHlM7Q1NOliSkbWvZtNp2JYZq5RcsUQCCDu5zRjGtiWyEbrLUTIoX6*R2OgZpTMsoiFZqbmiQ/VLTOR%20stock.jpg?dc=4675411979510174572[/img]
[size=1]Note: You'll want the one on the bottom for your telestock, top one is the rifle length version[/size=1]

Of course if you want to spend the $$ the best telestock system is the Magpul.

For more information on these stocks see this [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/stocks.msnw[/url]  both are in the lower part of the list.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]
While I'd take a look at the Vltor, I really recommend you look at the [url=http://groups.msn.com/ColoradoAR15ShootersSite/themagpullmss.msnw]Magpul M93 stock[/url] as well. It has several things I love that I think will be handy for you as well.

First, you always have a good solid cheek rest on a nice plastic surface (no freezing in the winter).

Second, you can pick a "favorite" position and slip one of the presets in there. With this you can leave the stock in a collapsed position but unlocked, to get it to your favorite position all you have to do is pull on the stock and it ratchets out but will not collapse back in - perfect quick deployment.

Third, with the stock locked it is more solid than a fixed A2 stock and has more adjustment points than a telestock. You can go from collapsed telestock to longer than A2 length and anywhere in between.

[img]http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/AR15/AR15_6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't like the feel of the plastic against my cheek. What I did was take a piece of 2" wide black Velcro (soft loop side) and stuck that to the top of my stock. I rounded the corners with scissors to make it look alittle better, and help keep the corners from catching and peeling up.

If you deploy from your vehicle with the stock one click out, this could be an option for you.

My toys are locked up right now and it's almost time for work, but I can try to get a pick up later on this evening.

I had time to get this pic up, it's a small one of the first stock I applied Velcro to, but it may give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'll get a bigger pic up tonight of my current stock.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/072844.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the pic of my current stock with the velcro.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/073013.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
One problem with the telestock cheekpeices is that if the stock is collapsed and you need to clear your rifle it can interfere with the charging handle.  I also throw in my vote for the Magpul.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh sure, you COULD buy a new fancy-smanshy VLTOR stock, or you could be a man about it and just piss on the stock before using it! [;)]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top