Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 9:40:54 AM EDT
Just curios to see what others have to say!  I wrote atf about replacing pre-ban recievers and Their response was that a new reciever could be made but the same serial numbers had to be put on the new reciever.  Now I have a colt biggy hole lower and my ? is do you think that colt would make the replacement reciever with a small hole , and not the biggy hole.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#1]
With Colt you are SOL.  They will only replace it [b]IF[/b] they feel it makes the rifle unsafe to fire.  However, that is not your decision...COLT will determine if your lower is unsafe to fire.  Also, it could take them up to a year to replace your lower [b]IF[/b] they decided they were going to in the first place.

My guess is if all the planets line up properly and if the good Lord himself blessed it Colt would probably replace it with a small hole lower.

Good luck [;)]

Edited to add: your best bet would be to call Colt tomorrow and explain your situation to them.  Double good luck [;)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
With Colt you are SOL. They will only replace it IF they feel it makes the rifle unsafe to fire. However, that is not your decision...COLT will determine if your lower is unsafe to fire. Also, it could take them up to a year to replace your lower IF they decided they were going to in the first place.
View Quote

And this is different than any other manufacturer how?

My preban XM15 went back to Bushmaster three times for various problems, the most most serious problem being that it doubled with alarming regularity. After the third time my local smith speculated that the hole in the receiver for the trigger and disco wasn't drilled in the proper location. After getting my rifle back it started doubling again and I contacted Bushmaster to see about replacing the lower.

To make along story short I ended up selling the XM15 just before the warranty expired, because there was on way in hell I was going to get a free replacement lower.

In retrospect I wonder if I should have pushed the issue and notified the BATF about my "two round burst" XM15. I'd wager that I would have received a replacement then [:(!]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
This is different with Olympic.  Their life time warranty covers pre-ban receivers too.  Both of my SGW lowers have been remanufactured by Olympic (one covered under warranty and one I paid a small fee) with the original serial numbers.

I can't speak for Bushmaster.  My post above was only based on my experience with Colt and an issue I had with them.  Like you with Bushmaster, I no longer own any pre-ban Colts.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is different with Olympic.  Their life time warranty covers pre-ban receivers too.  Both of my SGW lowers have been remanufactured by Olympic (one covered under warranty and one I paid a small fee) with the original serial numbers.

I can't speak for Bushmaster.  My post above was only based on my experience with Colt and an issue I had with them.  Like you with Bushmaster, I no longer own any pre-ban Colts.
View Quote

Ahhh [:)]

I went the opposite way you did. I sold my Bushy, my Oly, my RRA (unwillingly), and my DPMS and only have Colts left. I just bought four stripped RRA lowers though so for the first time in a while I'll have non-Colts in the safe again. I'm really looking forward to putting them together.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, you just reminded me of something...since RRA lowers are so inexpensive right now ($85 each) I should probably pick a couple up for future projects.  

Thanks, thank a lot! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know, you just reminded me of something...since RRA lowers are so inexpensive right now ($85 each) I should probably pick a couple up for future projects.  

Thanks, thank a lot! [;)]
View Quote

That's precisely why I did it. I don't intend to build four ARs right now, but I wanted to snap them up while they are inexpensive.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an Olympic preban lower getting this done as we speak. Should be on its way back to me any day.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top