Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2003 7:46:26 PM EDT
I've been "volunteered" for an Armorer course in my unit and I want to get some info so I have a leg up in the class.  I see the videos and books for sale, but will probably need to draw from the approved Army curriculum as there's "the right way, the wrong way, and the Army way".  Know what Tech Manual covers this?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
They might just want someone willing to learn thier way rather than some one who has it all down pat his way. A class is to teach you what they want you to know.

Just go in cold. It's not like your stupid and gonna have a hard time learning.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]ar15.com/content/books/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The US Army TM 9-1005-319-23 is probably what you will be using.

I use the U.S.M.C. TM 05538C-23&P/2 that I got from BFI a while back and it is very good.

Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
that's one thing that I've been wondering about.  Has anyone taken Colt's armory course?  I may be speaking out of turn here, but I can't imagine what could possibly be taught in the course that one can't learn about here at this forum.  Can anyone fill in the blanks on this thread?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The hardest thing ive done building an AR is indexing the barrel corectly and you some times have to tighten then loosen a couple of times to get it right.And it cant be too tight but thats what a tourque wrench is for.And the indexing pin is of a softer steel so care has to be taken when installing the barrel otherwise every thing else is fairly easy to do.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
that's one thing that I've been wondering about.  Has anyone taken Colt's armory course?  I may be speaking out of turn here, but I can't imagine what could possibly be taught in the course that one can't learn about here at this forum.  Can anyone fill in the blanks on this thread?
View Quote

I just took it, there was good info in it.  The differences are mainly that you are certified, and that an instructor is there to go over anything that comes up.  Hands on still beats the web.  The certificate doesn't matter for many people, but for those who really need it, nothing else will take its place.

It was well worth my time, and I had already built up a few ARs.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They might just want someone willing to learn thier way rather than some one who has it all down pat his way. A class is to teach you what they want you to know.

Just go in cold. It's not like your stupid and gonna have a hard time learning.
View Quote

I agree (been there, done that)
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are right....everything you need to know is right here.  I went to Colt's 3 day course. You just take the rifles apart and put them back together again and again and again....lots of hands on work.

Colt has their own armorers manual they give you and a Colt parts manual with their parts mumbers and diagrams.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Last time I checked Unit Armorer covered much more than just M16s. Back in my day it covered ARs, M9s, M203 and M60  Should be the same for you just with 240s instead of M60s.  

Takeing the Colt course is worth the money just in the discounts you get after the course, no hassle CL III parts buying ability and all the info on the 9MM subgun.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to the Ft. Bragg Armorers course in 2001. It will cover much more than weapons. Your gonna go over physical security, how to fill out a 2404, how to use the 23&P correctly, inspecting weapons, and as stated above it will cover the M16A2/M4, M9, M249, M60 and/or M240, MK19, M2 and M203. You will not go into anything more than unit level (20 level) repairs and it will not teach you anything about the M16 you can't learn here in a week. I was out of the ARMY when I found this site and have learned more about how to work on the AR/M16 here then I did there. If you want to get a leg up then grab the 23&P for all the above weapons and read the unit level stuff (20) do not I say again do not read into the (30 level) it will only cause you many, many problems taking the tests. You'll learn say, you have a short stroking M4 that your (20 level) diagnosis for repair is different than that for the (30 level). I'll E-mail you my phone number if you want to call me.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top