Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2003 9:03:31 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

I've noticed that a lot of people here have magpuls on their AR mags:

From a tactical standpoint what are these things used for exactly? I understand that magpuls are a means to grasp the mag, but I don't understand when using one becomes advantageous or faster.

Whenever I've practiced a reload from empty or a tactical reload I've hit the release with index finger, let the empty drop free, then reloaded from the weak side.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited for third grade spelling...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Efficient removal of the magazine from magazine pouches on load bearing gear with the added side benifit of protecting your pre-ban mags when you do full speed reloads.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Some schools (of thought) teach the retention of the "empty".  Especially important in tactical reloads where the magazine still contains live rounds, to be consolidated later.
In SHTF scenarios, close/far ambushes, magazines may be discarded as you described, to be policed up after a break in contact/end of threat (if at all), but less than that, it's abetter idea to retain your magazines. Also said to aid in the "grasping" of magazines in magazine pouches.  Tactically speaking.

Economically speaking, those pre-bans are expensive, so hold onto them.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
They do make getting mags out of some pouches much easier, but the thing I like about them most is when doing a reload and retaining the mag you are releasing from the gun. Instead of really grasping the mag you are ejecting, just stick you finger through the loop, release the mag, and let it hang from your finger. This allows you to grasp the magazine that is being inserted with all your fingers instead of just some of them. Makes for a very fast tac load!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Efficient removal of the magazine from magazine pouches on load bearing gear
View Quote

and

In SHTF scenarios, close/far ambushes, magazines may be discarded as you described, to be policed up after a break in contact/end of threat (if at all), but less than that, it's abetter idea to retain your magazines. Also said to aid in the "grasping" of magazines in magazine pouches. Tactically speaking.
View Quote

Ahhhh [:)]

Instead of really grasping the mag you are ejecting, just stick you finger through the loop, release the mag, and let it hang from your finger.
View Quote

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the info guys. I knew there must have been something I hadn't considered.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top