Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/10/2003 8:01:07 PM EDT
Was out shooting today and had a case seperate at the shoulder in the chamber and cant get it out any tips or tricks to accomplishing this or does this have to go to a smith!?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A [url=http://store.yahoo.com/cdnn/arbrokshelex.html]Broken shell extractor[/url] is worth it's weight in gold. I keep one in my range bag and in each buttstock compartment.

Any decent smith should have this tool. It will remove the broken case as fast as you can chamber and extract a round.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Tapco sells broken shell extractors.  you will be able to find a tap at a hardware store that would be the proper diam to cut into the brass without cutting through into the chamber. Take a small wrench through the ejection port and screw the tap into the brass. then drop a rod down the barrel and tap it out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
wrap a peice of steel wool around a bore brush. Stuff it in the chamber and pull the broken case out.

The steel wool will expand around the case of the mouth. If this trick doesn't work you will have to use a case extractor. You may have to adjust the amount of steel wool that you use until it gives you enough grip.

cruizer
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a bunch Ive been shooting these type rifles for years and this particular rifle has probably had 7 to ten thousand rnds through it and never had this problem before.
I really appreciate the feedback on this guys just ordered four broken case extractors from CDNN man they rape yah on shippen huh?! but its worth it if I can get my M4gery runnin again.
thanks again fellas
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Similar to what cruizer said, I've always used a chamber brush. Never had to use a broken shell extractor tho I do have one in the tool box.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Try using your chamber brush to see if it will grap the case.  The few times it has happened to me the next cartridge slammed into the stuck section and jammed a little into it......enough to come out with the loaded cartridge when I extracted it.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
what ammo were you using ?????

i have had this happen several times with S&B......, even NEW AMMO.....!! & NEVER, NEVER reload S&B brass it's too soft & causes too many probs........
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Exmarine, next time you need a tool like this check with Midway. They have good prices and their shipping is at actual cost.You get a better deal if you have a C&R License.
Last time I ordered from CDNN they had a 9.95 minimum shipping. [marines]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]
This is rare with chrome chambers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Its an upper from model one that I baught for a blaster plinker. the ammo I was using (and I know Im gonna get flamed) was barnual normally I wouldnt even put this through the plinker upper but they were outa wolf. the Barnual is dirty and smells bad but normally shoots well in the model 1 upper. hey guys bfore yah flame me let me say I DO NOT put the cheap shit through my good uppers. [peep]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.... I DO NOT put the cheap shit through my good uppers. [peep]
View Quote

Yet the good uppers usually handle the cheap stuff better....
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had trouble with Barnaul, just Wuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top