Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 8:04:33 PM EDT
Has anyone used the mcfarland one-piece gas ring?  Pros or Cons?  thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I used the Olympic made version. It was cheaper and supposedly stronger according to Olympic.The only difference I noticed was a tighter bolt to carrier fit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
so is there any reason for me not to buy one?  the price is right ($2).
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the best things I've ever purchased. I bought several on the advice of SMGLee and the installation of them and a Wolff extra power extractor spring and d ring was a literal miracle cure for three seriously malfunctioning M4's in my area.

I bought mine from Armalite, I don't think they were even $2.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the combo I'll use with the RRA enhanced bolt and carrier.  thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#6]
this may be a stupid question, but will I need one or three?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
You only need one.

I have them on all my AR's, and I haven't burned thru any of them yet like the standard rings.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]
ONE
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this may be a stupid question, but will I need one or three?
View Quote

Funny you should ask,.A buddy of mine bought 3 thinking he needed them so I got 1 for free...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
i got mine a few weeks ago and i think it works great.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt Match Target with a Les Baer carrier and match bolt that was running perfectly. I then decided to install the "McFarland upgrade" and from that moment onwards, I had my fair share of jams, short strokes and double feeds.
I then removed the McFarland one-piece gas ring, and low and behold, all the trouble disappeared. Maybe my carrier was a bit on the tight side, so I was attempting to fix a problem that was "non existent".
In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought several mcfarland rings when they first started advertising them on the old board several years ago, have never had any problems with them, except for, when I tried them on a Baer bolt a few years ago. All it took was about 20 to 30 rounds to start short stroking in my daughters' Bushmaster shorty.

I had called & talked to Les a couple of times before he fessed up to admitting plenty other folks were having the same problems, mainly F/A guys out west somewhere.
I couldn't get a straight answer about where the tolerance problems were, so I left it at that. I keep all of my GI bolts wrapped in slinkys & the Les Bears' in their 3 ring suits.

No problems since, I can't wait to see how well they work in the SEBR rifles, if they show up [red]THIS YEAR[/red]!!

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top