Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2003 7:32:42 PM EDT
Could someone please explain the difference between a regular trigger and NM 2 stage trigger? I noticed that NM triggers sell for around $30-$40 more than regular. Do they function differently? Or just "tuned" better for better trigger pull? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I notice your in Texas.  If you go to the hometown forum I am sure you can find a time people from AR15.com are meeting near you and try the difference first hand.

A single stage trigger requires a fixed weight like say 5 lbs to move it and when it moves the rifle goes off.  A 2 stage trigger splits the weight into a take up stage then it hits a "wall" where additional pressure activates the trigger.  I makes shoting a heavier triger feel lighter and is great for aimed precision shots.  A single stage tends to be faster for close or on the move shots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks DevL. I'll definitely check out the hometown forum for meeting times.
Now, if I understand it correctly, 2 stage trigger is somewhat comparable (or similar in function) to a SA 1911 trigger, right? If so, it sounds like it's worth its price. Is it much harder to install? I'm thinking about building a lower for the first time for a dedicated .22lr upper, and trying to decide between regular and 2 stage trigger kits.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Aleko,

Have installed both JARD & Jewell triggers in my AR. The JARD is excellent for a single stage but can be a Bear to adj. properly and requires a separate spring for ea. trigger pull wt.
The Jewell was a snap and is easily tuned in the field. As muchas I like the JARD the Jewell is a much better all-around trigger, IMO.  

Here is a good write on the desirability of 2-Stage triggers in gas guns by Clint McKee of Fulton Armory:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/2stage.htm

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/2stage.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A good after market trigger is more like a 1911 or a tuned Remington 700 if its a single stage trigger.  A 2 stage trigger is kind of like the take up in a Browning Hipower.  They are all very easy to install.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top