Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/7/2003 7:32:42 PM EDT
Could someone please explain the difference between a regular trigger and NM 2 stage trigger? I noticed that NM triggers sell for around $30-$40 more than regular. Do they function differently? Or just "tuned" better for better trigger pull? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:29:04 PM EDT
I notice your in Texas. If you go to the hometown forum I am sure you can find a time people from AR15.com are meeting near you and try the difference first hand. A single stage trigger requires a fixed weight like say 5 lbs to move it and when it moves the rifle goes off. A 2 stage trigger splits the weight into a take up stage then it hits a "wall" where additional pressure activates the trigger. I makes shoting a heavier triger feel lighter and is great for aimed precision shots. A single stage tends to be faster for close or on the move shots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2003 1:15:57 PM EDT by Aleko]
Thanks DevL. I'll definitely check out the hometown forum for meeting times. Now, if I understand it correctly, 2 stage trigger is somewhat comparable (or similar in function) to a SA 1911 trigger, right? If so, it sounds like it's worth its price. Is it much harder to install? I'm thinking about building a lower for the first time for a dedicated .22lr upper, and trying to decide between regular and 2 stage trigger kits.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:29:32 AM EDT
Aleko, Have installed both JARD & Jewell triggers in my AR. The JARD is excellent for a single stage but can be a Bear to adj. properly and requires a separate spring for ea. trigger pull wt. The Jewell was a snap and is easily tuned in the field. As muchas I like the JARD the Jewell is a much better all-around trigger, IMO. Here is a good write on the desirability of 2-Stage triggers in gas guns by Clint McKee of Fulton Armory: http://www.fulton-armory.com/2stage.htm
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/2stage.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:44:52 PM EDT
A good after market trigger is more like a 1911 or a tuned Remington 700 if its a single stage trigger. A 2 stage trigger is kind of like the take up in a Browning Hipower. They are all very easy to install.
Top Top