Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2003 8:05:27 PM EDT

from yahoo...

"In this handout picture made available Tuesday Oct. 28, 2003 by the Israel-based Cornershot Co. in Tel Aviv, Israel, a rifle is seen composed of two parts; the front, that can swivel from side to side, containing a pistol with a color camera mounted on top, and the back section which consists of the stock, trigger and a monitor. According to a report by the Israeli daily 'Maariv' newspaper, the pistol, produced by the Florida-based Cornershot Holdings, is being tested by the Israeli military and has already been bought by a number of special forces around the world. The unique weapon allows a soldier to remain behind cover, with only the barrel of the rifle exposed in the direction of the hostile fire. (AP Photo/HO, Cornershot)"

there are some more pics (and some humorous comments) at the following link:
beta.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1011416/posts

including this one:

which leads me to believe that this weapon is really a hybrid of a glock frontend and an AR-ish backend.

finally, check out this link for more detailed info:
www.army-technology.com/contractors/machine_guns/corner_shot/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]

just found two more pics:

[img]http://www.army-technology.com/contractor_images/corner_shot/Corner-Shot-1.jpg[/img]

and

[img]http://www.army-technology.com/contractor_images/corner_shot/Corner-Shot-5.jpg[/img]

finally, here's the manuf's website...
[url]http://www.cornershot.com/[/url]

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's......um...........different

Wonder what the recoil would be like on that? I couldn't imagine pulling the trigger and having the gun roll to the side.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one!
Why?
Heck I don't know, I just want one.
Of course, theres gotta be at least ten violations of the AWB in there, so now I REALLY want one!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
that would be cool with a Glock 18 in there......

is this the fabled Glock carbine??
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmmm...Very interesting. From the first pic I was kinda confused thinking it was some kind of carbine with a swivel mechanism for the Glock.

It's interesting that everything besides the Glock is basically a stock with connecting trigger mechanism, with the EoTech for use when it is not "bent".
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing new. The Germans had a gun that could shoot around corners in WWII.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote

well, something new: there's a CCD camera so you know who you are shooting at.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but that was an actual bent barrel which wore out after around 200-400 rounds then the rounds would start firing out of the side making the weapon well.......
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but that was an actual bent barrel which wore out after around 200-400 rounds then the rounds would start firing out of the side making the weapon well.......
View Quote

That's the one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Thats the one.
View Quote

It remember it was a modded STG 44 or an MP-43 of some sort? Anyone got a pic?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Thats the one.
View Quote

View Quote

Cool! I was about to ask what model of gun it was.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote

unknown source...

"Maschinenpistole mit Vorsatz J. P or V; (Maschinenpistole 44 mit Krummlauf)

The curved barrel of the Maschinenpistolen were a remarkable wartime development and illustrate the gusto with which the German High Command entered into futile projects, which promised relatively little and diverted valuable production time from more conventional weapons.

The base for the Krummlauf device was an MP44 to which was fitted a curved barrel unit with suitable mirror sights attached to the muzzle. The prime object was to have a weapon which the occupants of armored personnel carriers could fire through the weapons ports at infantry who were very close to the vehicle and attempting to stick mines or grenades to it.

The idea originated in a system for testing aircraft machine guns, which have to be capable of functioning irrespective of the attitude of the aircraft. To test a gun at a high angle of elevation demands a very long impact area, not always conveniently found. Therefore a curved barrel attachment was devised, to be clamped to the machine gun barrel and divert the bullets into a sandpit some short distance away from the gun. From this arose the idea of applying it to a combat weapon for close protection of vehicles.

Three versions of the Krummlauf were envisaged; one which turned the bullet through 30°, (MP44 mit Vorsatz J, MP44 K/30); another which was intended to turn it through 90°, (MP44 mit Vorsatz P or MP44 K/90) and a final design, never leaving the designers bench the MP44 mit Vosatz V capable of a 40° deflection. Only 10,000 of the first type are known to have been ordered in 1944 and ever properly developed."

[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/feckless/files/germany/krummlauf.jpg[/img]

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
There it goes. Thanks.
Interesting note: Hitler disapproved of the creation of an Assault rifle, so some Nazi officials secretly developed the STG(Sturmghwer)44 and introduced it as the MP(MachinenPistole) 44. After seeing the results of the weapon Hitler approved and it was re-christened STG-44. Sturmghwer meaning "assault Rile)
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Back to the originial post....

Ok. I am a bit confused. If you were going to fire sideways, then why a puny little 9mm pistol? Why not something more powerful?

And what do you do if you need a quick reload?

And what about larger than standard mags?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Back to the originial post....

Ok. I am a bit confused. If you were going to fire sideways, then why a puny little 9mm pistol? Why not something more powerful?

And what do you do if you need a quick reload?

And what about larger than standard mags?
View Quote

from the text on yahoo...
"According to a report by the Israeli daily 'Maariv' newspaper, the pistol, produced by the Florida-based Cornershot Holdings, is being tested by the Israeli military."

and so it's gotta be 9mm NATO, period.  there is no other "common" pistol caliber in widespread military use in that area of the world.  my bet is that they are using a G17 or G19 as the basis of the front end.  17 round OEM Glock magazines are easily obtained.  and greater capacities can be had via the aftermarket.  

now, whether the 9mm, even in +P+ form, is good past anything more than about 50 yards, is the question.  but in CQB (or MOUT), you would not expect ranges greater than that, would you?   if it were farther, you could stand off with a .300M, .308, or .338L and solve the problem from 100yds without risk to your team members.  but in a hostage situation inside a factory with lots of obstructions, it could be a different story.

ok, i give up. there isn't any practical use for this thing. [:)]  i just thought it was interesting to look at.

ar-jedi

[img]http://www.army-technology.com/contractor_images/corner_shot/CornerShot-3.jpg[/img]

edited: fixed jpeg link.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Or you could just mount a CCD camera to a regular pistol, with a Bluetooth enabled viewfinder attached to your helmet. You would get all the benefits of this monster at a fraction of the cost. It would also weigh far less, and be capable of quick tactical reloads. And, no AWB or NFA violations for civilians to worry about.

Any patent attorneys want to hook me up? [;)]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Christ,  I can glue a f**king video camera from a garage sale to my Glock too!  And I could use a minicamcorder so it weighed 4 pounds instead of the 7-8 that monster must be!

When I first heard about this a few weeks ago, I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st...
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#18]
What's really fun is that you're going to get smacked in the head with brass when you're 'firing right'!  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#19]
What the hell is with the eotech on the weapon in the first pics?  What good is it?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What the hell is with the eotech on the weapon in the first pics?  What good is it?
View Quote

Used when the weapon is in the straight line carbine mode.
The problem with the whole deal is that it is overspecialized.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The problem with the whole deal is that it is overspecialized.
View Quote

i'm with you on that.  the money to buy, deploy, and train up for this weapon system could go much further in much better places with benefits to many more people.

this thing is in the same category as the "Holy Hand Grenade" of Monty Python fame.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
this thing is in the same category as the "Holy Hand Grenade" of Monty Python fame.
View Quote

Yea, but you can kill more than just evil man-eating rabbits with this thing. Like evil Palestinians*

*actually evilness of Palistinians may vary according to your opinion, the author makes no claims concerning whether or not Palestinians are actually evil.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
FINALLY!, something that the guy in the next lane can complain about besides my mini-Y.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw one at a vendors show this year.  Heavy and cumbersome.  We wondered what the fallout would be if you actually shot someone with it.  If you're peeking around a corner, and out of harms way, can you justify deadly force?  Not in a court nowdays.  All you could say in court is that the guy looked like (on your screen) that he was about to shoot your very expensive gadget.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
A gun that shoots around corners.

Isn't that the Clinton.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#26]
FINALLY!, something that the guy in the next lane can complain about besides my mini-Y.
View Quote

That's one of the reasons why I shoot M193 [:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah that might work great against your basic civilian uprising. [:)] But a 9mm bullet is not going to be enough to stop a solider wearing body armor designed for a .223 or 7.62 bullet.

Looks like a waste of money to me. Hell this is Isreal. The last time I checked, when I saw an Isreali solider wanting to shoot around a corner he came in a tank.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top