Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/5/2003 7:07:09 PM EDT
I was thinking about putting on some of the replacement handgaurds that have the rails on them on my AR-15 standard length rifle. I would like to put my Trijicon Reflex II on it, but I was wondering if they are tight enough to keep it accurate, or if they are just for adding on other extras, not intended for sighting?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:35:35 PM EDT
From what I've read concerning this: The KAC RAS isn't stable enough for optics, but the RAS II (if you have a flattop), and the SIR (there IS a model for A2s out) by ARMS are more than steady enough. I believe some of the others are also, such as the C-more rail and the BMAS rail handguard. Again, this is based on what I've read here, but the people who posted the info seem to be the "go-to" guys about this kind of thing (new-arguy, 3rdtk, and a few others).
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:55:50 PM EDT
I can tell you that the M5 RAS top half is very stable. It locks into the barrel nut and front handguard retainer. It is very solid. I wouldn't put a scope out there, but it would be fine for a red dot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:37:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/6/2003 4:37:57 AM EDT by spider]
I concur. I used to have an EOTech mounted on a RAS, & it worked great there. I thought it quite the ergonomic setup. I've since upgraded to an ARMS SIR (recommended) as I got tired of rail panels. I don't miss them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:54:52 AM EDT
Are you talking about a $300 RAS system or the $100 Fobus handguards with rails molded into the plastic? Also, what level of accuracy are you looking for?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:29:06 AM EDT
Not trying to be a thread hijacker, but is there a thread concerning RAS II versus SIR? I would like to know how much strength one would be giving up going to a RAS II over a SIR system. I know that the RAS II is weighs about half of what a SIR system weighs. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:15:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts: Are you talking about a $300 RAS system or [red]the $100 Fobus handguards with rails molded into the plastic?[/red] Also, what level of accuracy are you looking for?
View Quote
I want to put a Trijicon reflex 2 on it, & be able to shoot like it was mounted on a flat top receiver out to 400 yards or so, & be able to put them into a human sized target.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:10:32 AM EDT
I'd get the free floating rail systems. If you want to go less expensive than a KAC RAS, Bushmaster makes a free floating rail tube now. If I recall correctly, they are 200 as opposed to 400. Bandit or Excaliber Arms had an upper for sale a while back and it did look sweet.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:34:24 AM EDT
I want to put a Trijicon reflex 2 on it, & be able to shoot like it was mounted on a flat top receiver out to 400 yards or so, & be able to put them into a human sized target.
View Quote
You really want a free-float tube then, though in my experience it is possible to get that level of performance out of a regular RAS. Haven't seen it at 400, so I can't comment but I know people who are happy enough with an Aimpoint mounted on a regular RAS for 300yd E-silhouette shooting. I would still recommend free-float though. The only non-free float rail system that stands a chance of meeting your criteria is RAS and it costs $280-300. Free-floated RAS costs only $320 and I think RAS-II is cheaper still. You can also find a lot of free-float tubes with rails in the $170-200 range if you aren't looking for a hard use item.
Top Top