Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 3:06:40 PM EDT
What is the best type or brand of ammunition to use when hunting whitetail and can you hunt squirrel with a .223 if so what is the best for that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2003 8:35:32 PM EDT by brewsky101]
for whitetail-winchester 64grn power point plus, either superX (grey box) or ballistic silvertip (black box). This is the only factory .223 load that I'm aware of that is manufactured specificly for deer. for squirrels-you can hunt squirrels with anything from a pellet gun to a 300 weatherby mag. Your ideal .223 load for a squirrel (depending on the distance of your target) would be somthing light like a 40-45grn pointed soft point (heavier loads (55grn) work better at longer distances). Hollow points will probably work ok on squirrels but my experience is they don't have reliable fragmentation at short distances on small game. Stay way from full metal jacket bullets. Again, my experience with FMJ is zero fragmentation at close range on small game (although a .22 caliber hole through the guts of a squirrel might be enough to put him down). Welcome to the boards. You should check out the hunting forums on this sight. They are, what I like to call, THE CHERRY-TREE O' THE WEB-SITE.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:16:28 AM EDT
Federal has a 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in their Premium line. I plan on trying them on our small Florida Whitetails this year.
Top Top