Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 9:59:32 AM EDT
I'm beginning to research (shop) for my first AR, and am undecided between a 16" and 20" model.  I plan on using the rifle for 3 Gun matches.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Theo :-)  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
20" is better than 16" for 3Gun.

The 16" barrels sometimes have problems making the "minor" power factor with 55gr factory ammo.

The long gas sytem in a 20" (or 20" cut to 18") will smooth out the recoil impulse somewhat.  Get a good brake/comp like JP's BC Comp and you are good to go.

-z
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a 20" Colt Hbar for my first AR, or rifle of anykind for that matter. I came to the conclusion that I wanted a lighter rifle really fast. The 8 1/2lbs that the Colt weighs is at the outer edge of where I would like the weight to be. If you add anything to it now your too heavy. I added a TA-11 ACOG, 19s Arms mount, 3 point CQB sling and a Harris lightweight bipod and I was at 10 1/2lbs. That was without a magazine full of ammo which I believe is about a pound. It was way to heavy. I decieded to go with the Bushmaster Modular model which starts out at 6.3lbs and it made all of the difference in the world. Being shorter and lighter it is allot easier to move around and much less fatiguing to aim freehand.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn!!  For a minute I thought that TT was back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top