Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 9:02:22 AM EDT
I was looking into a FAL since they have been highly recommended for a next rifle after AR's. I see that they are mostly made from kits. Any help somebody could give me on how to go about doing a FAL would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been building FALs for a few years now.  Odd that a FAL would be a "next rifle" but they are great!  Supply of good kits comes and goes, but the STG58s are usually the best. $350.00 and up.  Although I've built a G1 from a $90 kit that is top notch.  What you pay for in the kits is the finish, providing that everything else is in good condition.  If you have access to a sand blaster or bead blaster and a Parkerizing setup all of this doesn't matter.  IM me and I'll offer any help!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at this sight they are the best built today. Or at least that's what I have heard.  

http://www.dsarms.com/
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#3]
First, check out FALFILES.com  It is an invaluable source.  Arizonaresponsesystems.com also has good info.  I am on my second FAL build right now (a Belgian-made German G1 on a Brazilian Imbel reciever, confusing).  My first build was on a DSArms reciever with pristine Steyr STG parts, the kits now are getting pricey as the supply of high quality drops.  The G1 kit from Tapco is good dimensionally, but nearly 0% finish...Park job for 90 bucks. DSArms are probably the absolute best parts, but they charge you for it.  My first build ended up around 1000 bucks, this second one is right up about 500. The Imbel is the way to go for a build.  If you are going to buy a gun....ARS mentioned above sells great ones along with DSArms. Prepare for a wallet draining experience.  Personally, I like building them.  I have an intimate working knowledge of the gun and can fix most issues. The money I saved I put to mags and gizmos; new US furniture, scope mount, ammo..
For mags: tapco.com or interordnance.com good used mags for abour 4 bucks a pop...ahh the old days..
Good luck and in the end, you will enjoy the FAL experience. They are a hell of a weapon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
IBTL[:)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IBTL[:)]
View Quote

Nope, not any more:

So how hard is it to build a FAL/L1A1 from a kit with a good receiver like an Imbel, compared to putting an AR15 together from a kit, assuming the AR15 build is done with a stripped upper and lower so that the barrel must be assembled? I have built an AR15 from scratch, but was wondering if the headspacing was harder on a FAL build than on an AR15 build.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Headspacing on FALs is simple (big caps) with the right tools!!!  The barrel gets torqued on to about 175 ft/lbs timed vertically.  The bolt is then closed on the chamber with a go gauge in there.  Then a VERY carefully calibrated rod is inserted into the locking shoulder hole, where the back of the bolt locks when in battery. That measurement that is obtained from the rod is matched as closely as possible to a locking shoulder.  Then the shoulder is pressed into place.  You are now headspaced.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I see that they are mostly made from kits.
View Quote

FN FAL's are banned by the '89 import ban, so current FAL's are built from "parts kits" on different receivers ( DSA, Imbel, Coonan, DPMS, ect.).

IBTL [;)]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7]FAL forum[/url]

[url=falfiles.com]FAL files[/url]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Since these are limited by the 1989 ban, they have to have US parts compliance (fewer than 10 imported parts).  There are plenty of well made US parts now.  As of next year (hopefully) you will be able to put all the evil features on so long as the US parts count is correct.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with the previous posts.  I went with a DSA STG58.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
DSA has some of the finest FAL style rifles out there.  I believe there barrels are done by FN.  I have a SA58  Carbine, with the short gas system and it has worked flawlessly.  The only major draw back to this point has been the weight of the extra ammo when out blasting Gods little creatures.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
[size=6]IBTL[/size=6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys. Try here. [;)]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=7[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top