Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/31/2003 3:27:42 PM EDT
I was in a gun shop today and saw a M17S up close for the first time. Now I am a right handed shooter, which is good because it ejects to the right. However I was dissapointed to find the magazine release button on the opposite side. What the hell is the deal with that? It wouldn't be that bad of a rifle if not for that. The way it is set up, you have to take your shooting hand off to eject the mag, which is down right weird. Or is this maybe one augmented for a lefty? The dealer had no idea. Just wondered. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:29:05 PM EDT
edblevi I have 2 M17S's bought several years apart, and both of them have ambi-mag releases. That is, they have the standard AR mag release on the right side and a push lever mag release on the left side. My buddy just bought one last month at a gun show and his is exactly the same. If the one you saw only had 1 release, then it must have been modified in some way. Might I suggest you look at it again though, just to make sure. Here are a couple little tidbits about the M17S. accuracy is fairly good. According to BM, they should hold 2moa, but mine does better than that...about 1moa on both of them. The trigger, because of the long transfere bar, is slightly heavy and long, but still usable. The handguards get rather warm when firing a lot due to the fact its all aluminum and there are no heat shields. This is simply solved by putting an accessories rail on the underside and mounting a forward grip. I have red dot sights on mine since, IMHO, these are CQB rifles. Manueverability, balance and target acusition are all very good. Overall, they are excellent guns for fun and playtime. I've never had any malfunctions or problems with mine. Hopefully this answers some of your questions about the M17S. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:48:02 PM EDT
PS Kurts Kustom Firearms does some excellent work on M17S. Just go to the photos page for some excellent samples of his work. http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/42606.htm
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:01:37 AM EDT
[url] http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/42606.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:00:44 PM EDT
Well I was looking at the Bushmaster site at the schematic and it doesn't show an ambi mag release? Unless I am just missing it? Or is it an aftermarket installation? In any case that would have to happen, before I decided to buy one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:06:53 PM EDT
I own a fairly new M17S. It isn't an aftermarket add-on. The button on the right is complemented by a paddle lever on the left similar to the bolt release on an AR. I reach across my chest with my left hand and place my thumb on one and finger on the other and squeeze, which is easier than doing only one or the other.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:49:43 AM EDT
Okay well tell me this. Can you reach across your chest and into your armpit area and grab the mag well from the front, pushing both buttons. Or do you have to take the rifle off you shoulder and do this from the rear of the mag well. I need to look at this rifle again at the shop if that is the case. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:52:59 AM EDT
I am able to reach around with my lefthand and press the mag release with my index finger while grasping the mag with my remaining fingers and thumb. The mag pops out and I slap a new one in all without removing the rifle from my shoulder. On my particular rifle the mag release on the left side (paddle) is hard to depress completely to release the mag so I don't use it. Fun rifle and mine has also been completely reliable with all sorts of ammo.
Top Top