Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 3:08:20 PM EDT
Hi there, everyone.
Is it normal to have a small amount of play between the barrel and the upper receiver?  I have a Rock River Hbar upper and noticed a small amount of play when cleaning.  I removed the upper from the lower and removed the hand guards.  I notice this If I grasp the front sight with one hand and the upper receiver with the other and twist the upper a bit back and forth. I know that this can be expected in the hand guards and between the upper and lower receivers.
Thanks!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it normal to have a small amount of play between the barrel and the upper receiver?
View Quote

No.
The barrel should be tight in the upper receiver. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
any advice?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, not at all, before you shoot it again, have it checked out by a good AR smith. This is a dangerous situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Any ARsmiths in Indiana?
What could have caused this?
I had read that Rock River was known for being overly tight?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Is your barrel nut tight?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
newbie here.... how can I tell?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It feels a bit loose, but the gas tube lokos as if it's be in the way if I tried to tighten it.  Is it easy to remove the gass tube and tighen it with a barrel nut wrench?  Or is this best left to a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Go gunsmith the barrel needs to be tourqed to a certain amount of pressure.It is definately loose.Let a good smith do it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
You'd have to buy some tools and a receiver block. You might post this question over on the build it yourself forum, there was also a thread on how to change out barrels that might be useful to you: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=173151[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank for all of the advice.
I'll take it to a smith and post his findings.
I don't know what I'd do with out this board... besides remove broken receiver shards from my face.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top