Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2003 1:11:12 PM EDT
Got to run my wifes new Bushmaster Carbon 15 97S through its paces today at our carbine club shoot.

Overall, it was outstanding. It is a VERY accurate rifle. 3 shot groups off hand were running between dime & nickle sized. Only a couple of small issues.
1. Had 2 failures to eject, both of which were standard stovepipes. For now, I am just chalking it up to being a new gun. We'll see how it does on its next trip out, and if it continues, I'll look into the extractor and/or ejector springs. The was only 2 malfunctions in about 80 rounds. Didnt get to put more than that through it today. Still, not bad at all, imo.

2. The rear sight had to be moved almost all the way over to the right to zero it. Not a big deal, as it is zeroed, and hitting where it should, but I just wanted to make note of it.

My wife is absolutely in love with this rifle. This is the happiest she has ever been with any of her long guns. It is a keeper for sure. Here is a pic of her behind the trigger today.

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:39:59 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT for the weekday folks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
2. The rear sight had to be moved almost all the way over to the right to zero it. Not a big deal, as it is zeroed, and hitting where it should, but I just wanted to make note of it.
View Quote

Hmm......
Since the rear and front sights are integral
to the rail - the questions are ---

How is the rail attached to the receiver?

Do you think the rail is moving ; or just
misaligned?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks light.Really light. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll take one, oh and one of the rifles too.  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmm......
Since the rear and front sights are integral
to the rail - the questions are ---

How is the rail attached to the receiver?

Do you think the rail is moving ; or just
misaligned?
View Quote

No, the rail is on very solid and tight. Its bolted on to the receiver and the forearm. Accuracy is not shifting or anything, its very tight and consistent. Its more like a barrel indexing/alignment issue, though not the same as on a standard AR since the front sight is part of the rail, and not the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Last time for the evening crew.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have a Carbon 15 (97-S style) upper assembly when CDNN was selling them. They were made to drop onto a standard AR lower. I also had to move the rear sight all the way to one side in order to get it to zero. And I do mean ALL the way!

It is indeed an indexing issue. If it doesn't come from the plant centered then you're screwed. I called Professional Ordnance (before they sold out to Bushmaster) and was told I would have to send it back to them to be straightened---that I couldn't do it myself. Pain in the ass to ship stuff!    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top