Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2003 4:46:20 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

DarkNite's post on shooting skill got me thinking about the different ways I present and shoot my ARs. I'm wondering if my methodology is different than everyone elses.

My heavier 20" bipoded and scoped AR is usually shot prone.

When I'm standing my non-scoped 20" rifle stance is much different than than my 16" carbine stance.

My 20" rifle stance has me completely perpendicular to the target, Marine Corps style.

My 16" carbine stance looks like a bladed subgun stance with me about 60 degrees to the target.

My carbine is still new and I haven't had any formal training with it yet, so I don't know if my bladed subgun stance is correct. I do it because it's comfortable and handy, not necessarily because it's correct.

How about you?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I learned my "stance" if you want to call it that from SIGarms Academy.Actually we learned several different ways depending on direction of target.It basically consisted of knees bent and upper body hunched over in front with elbows tucked in.Not sure where you are in NH but taking the carbine course with Joe Jorden at SIG is well worth the $$.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I learned my "stance" if you want to call it that from SIGarms Academy.Actually we learned several different ways depending on direction of target.It basically consisted of knees bent and upper body hunched over in front with elbows tucked in.Not sure where you are in NH but taking the carbine course with Joe Jorden at SIG is well worth the $$.
View Quote

Thanks for your post Redbone. I've taken two pistol courses at SigAcademy but I've never had any long gun training there. Fortunately I live only 15 minutes away.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My 20" rifle stance has me completely perpendicular to the target, Marine Corps style.

My 16" carbine stance looks like a bladed subgun stance with me about 60 degrees to the target.

View Quote

The exact opposite of that for me.  Ive been trained to be squared directly toward the target, carbine stock 1 notch from closed, arms locked downward - stable, fast, and doesnt expose body armor's weak point - the sides.

The longer stocks of full size weapons dont allow me to achieve this stance, so Im somewhat more bladed to the target.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your reply Lumpy. You and my father use the exact same technique, and for the exact same reason. He's a LEO and doesn't want to present the most vulnerable portion of his vest to his target.

I'm unable to get comfortable shooting that way, even with the short entry length stock on my carbine.

I've had two fusion operations in my back and currently have a torn achilles tendon, so my lack of flexibility and mobility might be playing into it as well. I wish there was a way I could be less bladed to my target.

Edit: How did my reply to Lumpy get above his post?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops. Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Well thats certainly interesting how your post ended up in front of mine.  [shock]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well thats certainly interesting how your post ended up in front of mine.  [shock]
View Quote

The board was acting screwy a little while ago. When I tried to reply it said that I had to wait an additional 1100 seconds to post.

Maybe the time change screwed things up with the cookie or something.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You should check out Pat Roger's excellent article on length of pull and fighting stance with the carbine in SWAT magazine. It is an old issue; but you can order and download the archived issues in PDF format from their website.

Basically it is a similar approach to what Lumpy mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Carbine/rifle stance-position body sideways(minimizes exposure of torso), leaning forward, knees slightly bent elbows tucked in. Rifle at high or medium ready.

Prone-  elbows supported by ground, Right leg slightly bent.

Kneeling- Left knee for rifle support leaning forward as far as possible with kneecap tucked in armpit, left leg for ground support, left foot laying sideways on ground for stability and less wobble.

Squatting-indian style leaning forward with elbows supported on knees.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/91/99/23963537-b666-01800200-.jpg[/img]

Here's my carbine stance, it's pretty much what Lumpy and a few other described and is pretty close to what Pat Rogers describes in his articles.

1. Forward lean, facing square towards target.
2. Shortened stock, fully collapsed or first notch, to allow proper cheek weld and eye relief from the sights.
3. Toe of stock placed higher up and closer to centerline, below dominant eye vs shoulder pocket.  
4. Elbows down with slight pressure towards the centerline.
5. Off hand placed further back on the vertical grip or magwell instead of the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Yojimbo....

Nice lookin' rig you gots there....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top