Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 5:20:56 PM EDT
I never thought I would have a desire to own one but I do.  I have lots of time to gather information and opinions and would like to wait for the collapsable stock days to return.  Here's my criteria.  Accurate and reliable.  3/4 MOA is acceptable. 1+ is not.  Length is more of an issue than wieght.  Want it short for carry and storage, and I think an adjustable stock and 16" barrel would be handy.  It will be used for specialized hunting situations, home defense, and whatever else. I have just started researching this and have found a couple of model/makes that look appealing.  The Les Baer thunder ranch rifle looks to be the ticket until i saw the price tag.  The rra 16" varmint looks like it might be the closest to what I'm wanting .  I am partial to ss heavy barrels.  Having spent a chunk on a custom bench/tactical bolt rifle and a custom 1911 on the way, the rra will fit in my financial plans more easily than an expensive and possibly overpriced baer product.$1500-2000 with removable sights and optics would be about the upper end of my divorce threshold.  I promised my wife this is my last gun, so help me out. Ive looked at some other producers web sites and can't find anything like the rra. Or:  Build/assemble, Buy something else complete?  All advice is appreciated. Understand, I know very little about ar's so keep it simple.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome.

Second, I was like you with the stainless heavies. Enough was enough and I have plenty.

I built a post ban M-4orgery on a MEGA lower/upper combo with a Bushy Patrolmans Carbine M-4 chromelined barrel 16", 1X9 and haven't looked back. The RRA Varmint will do you well, but you need to experience a leightweight to truly appreciate a "Handy" rifle that is capable of acceptable accuracy. My total cost to build mine was $680 with all new parts. I have 7 AR's and countless other target/varmint/bench guns. An entry stock would give you a short stock, but I didn't like it. Look around, go and feel some rifles. I'm confident you will find what you want reasonably priced. BTW, these guys are the best, they will steer you in the right direction, be patient.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Generaly if you're just starting out I'd say go with a basic A2 with a 20" bbl.  You can always get another upper with a flattop, 16" bbl or whatever at a later date. Stocks are easy enough to replace so when the AWB sunsets you can replace your A2 stock with a nice colasible stock like the M4.  The longer bbl. of the A2 will give you a longer sight radius which will add in accuracy until you get the "feel" for the rifle.  With guns, as with most other things, I like to use the K.I.S.S. principal. Start simple and see how you like it then as you gain knowlege you'll be able to add what you need.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  Guess I should say  this thing will probably always have some type of optics on it with iron sights close if needed. From what I've read the last couple of days, rra seems to be about as loved as the others on a percentage adjusted basis.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top