Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2003 3:48:51 AM EDT
Since there have been several threads on muzzle brakes lately, I thought I'd ask a question that I've been wondering about...
Why does the sound level increase if you use one? Is it real or imagined (ie: sound blown back & to the sides instead of forward)? I've read about the efeects, but can't tell the difference at the range (I use heavy earmuffs). Anybody up on the science about it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since there have been several threads on muzzle brakes lately, I thought I'd ask a question that I've been wondering about...
Why does the sound level increase if you use one? Is it real or [red]imagined (ie: sound blown back & to the sides instead of forward)[/red]? I've read about the efeects, but can't tell the difference at the range (I use heavy earmuffs). Anybody up on the science about it?
View Quote

You have answered your own question.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes,

Depending on the type of brake, the 'blast' is redirected to 'control' the recoil and muzzle rise from a fired round.

If the brake doesn't redirect it back to you, but straight to the sides, you may not notice it as much.  However, your neighbor at the range certainly will.

But the overall total 'blast' is not increased.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
good question.  i had the same one a while back and borrowed a sound level meter from the company i work for.  top of the line big bucks type of sound level meter, and with a fast enough rise time to catch peaks.  first thing i discovered when testing brakes vs. no brakes is that the sound is very directional.  directional being the key word.  the brake simply redirects the muzzle blast in directions other than they would go out the end of a simple regular barrel.  if you happen to be standing in that direction, the sound blast is noisier.  i believe it is somewhere between 7 to 10 dB's louder in most cases for a centerfire rifle.  that was the case when i tested about 6 different rifles with and without muzzle brakes.  it was an interesting day.  there doesnt really seem to be a lot of info available on the subject, but it is out there if you care to look hard enough....
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Turn on a water hose.  The water shoots straight out the front.

Now, place your thumb over the end of the hose.  Two things happen:

1. FORWARD pressure is applied to your thumb by the water.  This is the same thing the gas does when it hits the flats on the brake, and that's why it counteracts some of the recoil.

2. Water shoots to the sides.  The gas (along with the flash and blast the gasses create) does the same thing.

-Troy
View Quote

That is the best analysis I've heard yet...

Good work Troy.
That's why I like this F*&#ing site.  You can be entertained and learn something too!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Turn on a water hose.  The water shoots straight out the front.

Now, place your thumb over the end of the hose.  Two things happen:

1. FORWARD pressure is applied to your thumb by the water.  This is the same thing the gas does when it hits the flats on the brake, and that's why it counteracts some of the recoil.

2. Water shoots to the sides.  The gas (along with the flash and blast the gasses create) does the same thing.

-Troy
View Quote

DAMNIT NOW I'M WET!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I knew it had to be something simple like that. I just didnt take the logical next step to relate the flash blast to the sound blast.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Whats really cool is when you have upward facing compensator ports in your brake and they build a nice angled tin roof over the firing line to reflect that noise back down to you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't try the hose thing in your living room.It redirects the wife's  frying pan to your head.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Here you can see how blast redirects.. (scroll down.. link is in text)

[url]http://members.tripod.com/~ARthuri/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
What I've always wondered about the sound redirection effect of brakes is this:  would a person down range a few hundred meters actually hear a significantly quieter report than from an unbraked rifle, and would it be harder for that listener to determine the exact direction from which the shot came?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
At an off angle from the bore axis it would be a bit quieter but not much and no they would not have trouble locating where the shot came from becasue of the brake.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
It is just a form of 'gain' like with radio waves and directional antennas.

There is no more total noise, it is just theat some is going to the sides and rear instead of the front.. You are actually making things quiter to the front where it does no good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#14]
would a person down range a few hundred meters actually hear a significantly quieter report than from an unbraked rifle
View Quote

i have a AK break on mine and the sound gets thrown back on me. when my dad was down range (he was safe) he said it wasnt all that loud.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top