Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2003 10:42:00 PM EDT
Hi.

I have a post-ban Bushmaster M4 type (non-collapsable telestyle stock, Mini Y compensator instead of a "flash supressor" etc.)
http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun/IM000429.JPG

I live in Washington state, and there are lots of great plinking places here. I like the range, but shooting at paper isn't as fun as breaking out the 30 round mags and letting $5 of ammo rip against ice blocks & watermelon as fast as I can.

I love my AR15, but I also love this girl I met who lives in Sacramento, and I'm planning on moving (Yes, she's worth it.) I've heard a few things about California gun laws, and I was wondering what my options are.

Can I even bring "Louise" (the name of my AR15) to California? If so, can I bring all the 30 round mags I've collected? And when I move my stuff across state lines, will they take her away from me? More important than that, is there ANY possibility of REAL "plinking" in California legally?

I admit I have a paranoia about California ASSAULT RIFLE LAW that makes me think that I'll be able to check her out at state-approved times with state supervision and I'll only be able to use a half-round mag at a time.

If anyone has any experience regarding AR15's and CA law, I'd appreciate anything you could tell me.

Thanks!

Anthony
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:06:09 PM EDT
I am not up on "all" the laws here in california. But, it is my understanding that you can NOT bring ANY magazines over 10 rounds into the state, PERIOD. You also can not bring your AR. Just as I can not sell or give my AR to anyone in the state. I have to sell it to someone out of state. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:09:33 PM EDT
I thought AR15's and 30rd mags were banned in CA.The Fab receivers are legal though.Why doesn't your girlfriend move to your state.Women will come and go but an evil black rifle will always stay by your side.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:30:18 PM EDT
Can't bring it or them in permanently. If you were attending some kind of match and were taking them back out. that's ok. Permanent importation is no longer possible, unless in the military and moving under orders. You might want to look up the AG Firearms pages. [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/[/url] I expect you'll get a lot if commentary here from others that is giving them a chance to vent and display their ignorance of CA laws.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:55:23 PM EDT
You can't have both. Either the girl or Louise. You cannot have 30 rd mags, NOR can you have the AR. Moving to CA for a woman is very stupid IMO. I'm not trying to call you stupid, it is just that I've had many friends who have moved out of state for their GFs & not only were they unhappy, they were dumped. If you were engaged I'd think differently. Also CA is not just anti gun... it's pro insanity. I truly feel badly for fellow members who live there. My advice is not to move. If you love each other it will work out. Otherwise you will find out soon enough, only your whole live will be upside down in a new and horrible state.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:01:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2003 1:03:05 AM EDT by inferno715]
wow, i wouldn't give up my Constitutional rights for a woman. good luck to you! [%|] get ready to wait 10 days for any firearm you wish to purchase there..that is, if it's CA legal. probably wouldn't hurt to learn spanish either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:18:09 AM EDT
I have to sell it to someone out of state.
View Quote
Now why on earth would someone want a CALI legal AR? Pretty crazy law by the crazy law makers in the CRAZY STATE[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:22:02 AM EDT
Leave or sell your AR15 in Washington. They are illegal to bring in California. Leave or sell your 30 round magazines. They are illegal to bring into California. Buy an M1A without the flash hider or an M1 Garand or an M1 carbine. Buy a FAL. Talk to Paul over on the California webpage. You really need to think it over. Her coochy would have to be softer than rabbit fur, hotter than a July day in Texas, smell like fresh cut roses and never tired in order for me to move from Washington State AND give up my guns rights. I'll make it easy for you:
Originally Posted By AnthonyJ: Hi. [s]I have a post-ban Bushmaster M4 type (non-collapsable telestyle stock, Mini Y compensator instead of a "flash supressor" etc.) http://www.anthonyjosephevans.com/gun/IM000429.JPG[/s] I live in Washington state, and there are lots of great plinking places here. I like the range, but shooting at paper isn't as fun as breaking out the [s]30 round mags[/s] and letting $5 of ammo rip against ice blocks & watermelon as fast as I can. [s]I love my AR15,[/s] but I also love this girl I met who lives in Sacramento, and I'm planning on moving (Yes, she's worth it.) I've heard a few things about California gun laws, and I was wondering what my options are. [s]Can I even bring "Louise" (the name of my AR15) to California? If so, can I bring all the 30 round mags I've collected?[/s] Originally Posted By AnthonyJ: And when I move my stuff across state lines, will they take her away from me? More important than that, is there ANY possibility of REAL "plinking" in California legally? I admit I have a paranoia about California ASSAULT RIFLE LAW that makes me think that I'll be able to check her out at state-approved times with state supervision and I'll only be able to use a half-round mag at a time. If anyone has any experience regarding AR15's and CA law, I'd appreciate anything you could tell me. Thanks! Anthony
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:16:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mrrogers1:
I have to sell it to someone out of state.
View Quote
Now why on earth would someone want a CALI legal AR? Pretty crazy law by the crazy law makers in the CRAZY STATE[whacko]
View Quote
I think he's talking about an AR he had before the ban.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:12:03 AM EDT
You have lots of great advice here already posted. Let me add a bit more. I live in Calif. and it sucks big times most of the time these days. I own four assault weapons and had to register them all. The Dept of Justice for the state of calif is the authority I had to register my AW with. Now an interesting fact that is not know by many out side of the state is that the Dept of Justice estimates that only 15% of the AW owned in Calif actually got registered. That means alot of folks out there never registered their AW. They are right when they say you cannot legally transport your 30 round mags and AR15 permanently into Calif. You should chose to leave it with trustworthy friends or family in Washington. What if you move to Nevada with this hot tottie from Sacramento? You can send for your AR15. You can bring into calif knowing you are taking a chance like many others. What ever you choose to do, it is important that you know when you are or not breaking the law and what options you have. Good luck with miss tottie. Ralph in Fresno
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:09:45 AM EDT
AnthonyJ I lived north of Sac until 5 years ago. There is a nice range near Oroville in the wildlife management area. No range master. Few users. Great place to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:14:20 AM EDT
PaDanby; I checked the AG site and could not find the exception you mention. Can you cite the specific section of the code that allows bringing an "assault weapon" into CA for a match? I'm sure it's there, just cannot find it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:26:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KA3B: Leave or sell your AR15 in Washington. They are illegal to bring in California. Leave or sell your 30 round magazines. They are illegal to bring into California. Leave or sell your testicles in Washington. They are illegal to bring into or possess in California.
View Quote
There, I completed it for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
I too live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. I have had to content myself with an M1 Garand and a neutered FAL. However, when I go to the range I see alot of AR's being shot. Not to mention the odd AK. Now I know that as stated above most of these evil rifles were not registered with the state. Yet I see nobody there to monitor the registration of them. I also know of several folks that build there own rifles and use them in matches. I guess what I am saying is that it is up to you if you want to take the chance. I do not think that the law will come looking for you but if you come under the spot light you could be in big trouble. Making her move up there would be the best solution.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:34:42 PM EDT
My two cents... I've heard of facilities in NV that will store your Assault Weapon for a nominal fee. Since you'll be living in the Sac. area, you might be able to find a place near Reno. Food for thought. Or you could do as suggested by others, and leave it in WA with someone you trust. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:31:23 PM EDT
Paul may be the one that can supply the military exception info for you. I don't believe I've seen it but several guys on here claim they have had it done. I used to say no exceptions but several here maintain it is possible and they have done it. Like you I couldn't find the specific refeerence. I also don't know what happens if/when you get off active duty nobody's mentioned that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:22:27 PM EDT
aaaaaKalifornia is AReady and waiting. I'd guess that is why their law statute book is called the "PENAL CODE".
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:45:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/25/2003 7:59:17 AM EDT by rad2112]
Here's my .02 How long have you known this girl? You should have a LONG discussion with her about this. Relationships are about compromise... and you shouldn't be the only one doing so. I had a friend in the Army who got stationed over in CA. He had to sell alot of his stuff before he moved there. That was not by choice. On the other hand you do have a choice. There will always be other women, but once you give up your rights, you'll never get them back. My wife & I have an understanding... I can get what I want as long as she doesn't see it. :) She's not to keen on firearms. One day she'll come around... I hope. OK now the Legal stuff. Some of the firearms restricted in California are similar to the ones in NJ. Scary isn't it? Post Ban ARs are allowed, provided "AR-15" is not printed anywhere on the rifle. The same is with AKs. For instance, if my LEGP rifle did not have the DOT COM, it would be illegal. Stupid huh? California Gun List: [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm[/url] NJ Gun Law (NRA Website: Scroll towrds the bottom): [url=http://www.mynra.com/frame.cfm?title=NRA%20Institute%20for%20Legislative%20Action&url=http://www.nraila.org]NJ NRAILA Site Info[/url] Strange that I can not find anything on the NJ State Website. It's like they don't want the Citizens to know. Hmmm.... NJ Gun list: (on "ARs" and Springfield M1A) [url]http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html[/url] I'm curious to see if California is similar in that regard. -rad
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:31:16 AM EDT
i had to come to CA for Work 2 1/2 years ago. i was lucky that my parents let me store my AR15, AK, HK91, and handguns, along with all of my mags and ammo at their house. Trust me! CA sucks if you are into any shooting/hunting sports, except Cowboy Action Shooting. you have to remember that the state of CA requires registration of all handguns within 60 days of moving to the state. if you have high cap mags for the handguns you can't bring them into the state. i am lucky to live in a pro-gun county(Tulare) with easy access to public shooting areas. most in CA are not as lucky as me. i now shoot thousands of rounds out of my CZ varmint 22 and Yugo 98k. i have alot of fun shooting those guns, but it kinda like getting rid of a hangover by drinking a beer. I will leave this state as soon as i get a chance!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:28:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AnthonyJ: I love my AR15, but I also love this girl I met who lives in Sacramento, and I'm planning on moving (Yes, she's worth it.)
View Quote
Anthony, You will have to make a choice between your AR15 and your new girlfriend. AW's are not allowed in CA, and to get caught with one will result in a [b]minimum[/b] of your firearms being confiscated. The only way you may be able to get around it is to hide your lower, and buy one of those abominable CA approved lowers that has no mag well but hold 10 rounds, and loads by separating the receivers. [b]Take my advise and do what I did, marry your california girl and move her to Washington with you.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:09:24 PM EDT
If you are engaged to this girl or have known her long enough that you are certain you are going to marry her then I would store my firearms with a friend or family member and move. Women worth marrying are not a dime a dozen and they will disappear on you when you get older. You can always move out of the state down the road and buy a new rifle or get your old one back. If this girl is "it" then don't fuck it up and regret it for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if you have not been in a relationship with this girl for at least a year or don't know her extremely well then I would be weary of moving. People are rarely ever who they project themselves to be. All humans can be fickle and change on you, becoming a completely different person, and there is nothing you can do about it. Like someone else said, you need to have a real talk with her about sacrifices and the future and if she is unwilling to sacrifice anything, dump her as quick as possible.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 12:32:59 PM EDT
My cousin lives in California, unless you had owned them at the time of the ban in California and you registered them, no AR's are allowed. Magazines over 10 are also not allowed, only can be owned in California if you owned them at the time of the ban and they were in California as well. Basically, nothing good is legal. Get yourself a Mini-14 to plink with in .223 probably. Saiga isn't even allowed in California, and it's a sporter rifle that takes 10 round magazines. Apparently, the Kalashnikov gas piston system makes it illegal. Glad I don't live in that state. Nobody short of God could convince me to move to that place. Your choice, wish you the best.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
Get a storeage locker in ARIZONA and visit and shoot it once a month or so .And IF you fall out of love you will still have your AR .Women come and go but a good rifle can last a lifetime .
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:50:43 PM EDT
Millions of punk ass illegal immigrants with no respect and draconian gun laws. There are more hot girls there than any other place Iv'e been period. Its about 50/50 roll some dice or something.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:23:14 AM EDT
Alright everybody... First of all, I had NO IDEA that I would get so many helpful posts. Before meeting "Her" I had a 100% NO LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP attitude. This girl changed my hardcore attitue about it all. For what it's worth, I have a very beautiful and sweet memory of her (when she visited me here in Seattle) holding "Louise" (which is my girlfriend's middle name) right hand/finger near the trigger like she was about to blast away. Yes, her first time holding an AR15. She liked it, and she looked good.... OK. "pulpsmack" says "either the girl or Louise". Point taken. "KA3B" drove the point home with a painstaking edit of my post. At that point, I knew I would be giving up more than I thought. I appreciate "rhatland's" response regarding "Assault Weapons" and their definition. Also a point taken. "Ron_L", the range you mentioned sounds great, but of course you know it doesn't mean spit if I can't even bring "Louise" into the state without her being an ATF magnet. "Boomer" says "Leave or sell your testicles in Washington". If I bring them to Sacramento, they will be very well taken care of. Your point about firearm law is also noted. I'm posting here as a new guy and I get such a thoughtful reply like this: "How long have you know this girl? My wife and I have an understanding..." "rad2112" seems to present the only argument that may allow me to take Louise into California. After reading his post, I thoroughly looked over Louise and found her to be completely sans an "AR15" designation. That sounds so cool! But does that mean that I can take her to a range or plinking pit without fear of the BATF taking her away from me? "advntrjnky" presents an argument that my girlfriend suggested. My parents happen to be moving to Payson, Arizona from here in Seattle. My Dad says he'll keep Louise and I'll be able to plink away whenever I visit there. Somehow, that seems contradictory to the reason I bought her in the first place. "jason_h" 's post stunned me. It wasn't just about CA gun laws anymore. I take his post very seriously. (More serious than you think, Jason.) I read your response over and over and over. And over. I thought I would be able to continue my AR15 hobby and have a real life with my girlfriend, and have a family etc. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made. Believe me, I take your information you posted very seriously. "BUSTER51" says women come and go, but a good rifle can last a lifetime. True Buster51! But even an AR15 which I've always wanted for eleven years is nothing compared to a real life, which I've wanted for all of my 35 years. Thank you all for your responses. I'm so very thankful for you all who responded. Anthony
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:27:28 AM EDT
ya spanish is all but mandatory in CA now since most ppl speak spanglish or all out spanish
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:32:09 AM EDT
Sooo, what did you decide? [bounce]
Top Top