Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 8:15:26 PM EDT
What specific features should one look for in an AR flash suppressor before taking the plunge and buying it to ensure that he/she is getting a good/great product?

Thanks for your feedback,
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Only one important feature in my book, that it was made by Smith Enterprises: the VORTEX! [;D]

Of course, if you don't like open ended prongs, how about a nice Phantom Flash hider?

If you are going to mount a suppressor/silencer on it, look for one of the QD mounts combos.

If you have a 14.5" barrel, and need to bring it out to 16" minimum legal length (unless it's registered as an MG or SBR) then you must consider length.

The standard A2 flash hider isn't all that good.  A2 is better than the A1 cause it won't kick up the dust and acts like a muzzle brake in a minimal way.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a nice Vortex or Phantom, in that order, but that's me! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
All my rifles either have the Vortex or are getting the Vortex.  Ensure it is specifically a Smith Enterprises Vortex, of recent generation.  There are plenty of cheap knockoffs around.

The flash reduction has to be seen to be believed, and it has a nice twang when the bolt is dropped. :)
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Can the Vortex be installed on post bans?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
There is one thing that always seems to be overlooked when shopping for flash supression...

How much prone shooting do you plan to do?  If you do a lot of prone shooting, you might want to consider a flash suppressor that does not direct gasses down at the ground like the Phantom & Vortex.  The dust signature and dust flying up is quite annoying.

However, if you do go with a Vortex or Phantom, you can always dampen the ground under your muzzle with water.

The A2 FS does not direct gasses down toward the ground.  Another good option is the KKF A3MSFS.  It's basically an extended version of the A2 and will not direct gasses downward either.  As far as flash supression goes.. it's somewhere between the standard A2 and the Phantom/Vortex's.

KKF = Kurts Kustom Firearms, he can be found in the Industry section of these forums.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, post-bans may not have flash supressors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem with having flash suppressors up here.

It would seem that flash suppressors such as the Vortex would have most desirable features, but as has been noted - dusk kickup is a problem. Would that someone come up with a design that eliminates that and becomes the best flash suppressor. Hmmmmm....
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a Vortex G4.  Fantastic flash suppressor.  Although I can only compare it to the A2, that's the only other one I've owned.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No, post-bans may not have flash supressors.
View Quote

As a general rule thats true. BUT, if you remove the grip and replace it with the Gogogadgets (ATF approved) vertical grip it is legal to have a threaded barrel/flash suppressor combo on a post ban, because the vertical grip is not considered a conspicuious grip in the eyes of the ATF. ZM weapons has something similar.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top