User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
MADM16A1

I respect your opinion and your choice. One thing you must consider with a shotgun. Its actually a harder weapon system to master than a AR15. With an AR15 you need to learn how to load, and unload your weapon, press check, speed load, run dry reload, tak load, and clear malfunctions.

With a shotgun you must do the same and also learn how to perform select slug drills, and chamber port load, and know when to select between buckshot and a slug. There is more to a shotgun than most people think.
Pat
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When the SHTF I'm grabbing my 9-round 12 gauge pump and my 45 pistol. As much as I LOVE my M16, I just don't see how it would be a better choice on survival mode, I would have to leave it behind.

[>Q]
View Quote

Which you'll regret as soon as you figure out that people will be able to kill you by staying outside a 50-yard radius of you and shooting at you with a RIFLE.

Think about why ALL militaries use RIFLES as their primary individual small-arm, and why shotguns are use in only limited, very specific circumstances.

-Troy
View Quote

Not everyone is planning for the same situations.  Some might have reasons either geographical, or political, to plan differently than you.  All those who admire the Scout Rifle concept should see the possibles in this mans plan.

I like rifles and I like to stand off from my potential adversaries.  But, there are options in the shotgun that just aren't possible with the rifle.  A gizmo here and a small gadget there and the scattergun becomes an altogether different critter.  The main drawback to the shotgun is the weight of its food.  How am I the only one to bring this up?

Jerry
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One thing you must consider with a shotgun. Its actually a harder weapon system to master than a AR15.
View Quote

I assure you I'm a master of neither.
I've had my shotgun for a long time. The blue and the wood are worn out, its always clean and oiled, and its nice an loose. I've shot it a zillion times and it's never failed. When I shoot it the cheek weld is instant and everything is automatic, fits like it was made  just for me. You could load six different types of loads and I could probably tell you what they are by the way the stock kicks my shoulder.

I've had AR15 weapons for a few years and have built several of my own, I know the weapon well to the last pin and spring, and I have taken it to the range at least once a week.

The difference is that I perceive the rifle as a plinker, something I do for fun on the weekends and that I tinker with often. The shotgun has always been in my head as a weapon of defense and nothing more.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For Godssake, if there is enough bling-bling floating around for an M16....just buy masterkey and have both in the same package.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I can't fault your choice you chose a weapon you feel confident in. Confidence and mindset are more important to winning the fight than the equipment is.
Pat
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Confidence and mindset are more important to winning the fight than the equipment is.
Pat
View Quote

Hey, you're starting to sound like one of those trainers from Morrigan Consulting [:D]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on minimizing my signature if shit goes bad.  I have no intentions of bugging out.  

There is about a 10% chance I may be somewhere else in the US if and when shit happens, and it could be I'm in Los Angeles, New York, DC, etc, which is not good, but that's the way it is and I accept that.  Hell, I could be
in Cheyenne Mountain when the balloon goes up, but my family won't be.

I may need my skillsets to survive with nothing more than me.  I'm OK with that.  If I die, so what.  It isn't the end, for crying out loud.  

Things won't save you.  Your training and your mind MIGHT.  

If you think you are so tough, maybe you should read about people who've ended up in survival situations and made it.  Do you know there is only one German that escaped from a POW camp in Eastern Russia by walking out through China?  How about the torpedoing of the USS Indianapolis or read about our servicemen that were captured by the North Koreans or Vietnamese.  

You want to know how to survive? study the people who've lived through a dreadful situation where many others perished.  It may buy you a shot at making it through a bad situation that you end up in.  

What kills the most?  Depression and giving up.  

You know who gives up the most in wartime? Not the old guy, it's the 18 year old.  The old guy knows he has something to live for and can think beyond his immediate predicament.

Where are you "bugging out" to?  What if you are at grandmas, 1200 miles away from homeplate when something happens?

One is more more likely to fall prey to disease or starvation.  Can you stitch your self up? How about removing an appendix?   Staying healthy will be a challenge.

You can last probably 30 days without food, but in desert areas, maybe three days without water.  

In the Southwest, potable water may be at a premium.  Many of you may live in dense urban areas, since many well paying jobs exist there.  

I don't live in Los Angeles because that is a high risk area, IMO as well as most other major US urban areas.  I do have to travel there occasionally.  I cannot always eliminate risk, but I do seek to minimize it.

You will have to play the hand you've got, and the cards may not always be the best.  It's all about placing more tools in the toolbox.  

No one is totally prepared for everything.  

Assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the area you presently occupy is important.  Addressing the most critical functions at at least a basic level may be more important than having ten rifles and 100,000 rounds of ammo.  A well rounded approach is probably better than focusing on one or two items.  

Food, clothing, shelter and weapons are the major groups, IMO.  How much you need of each is something only you can determine.

This isn't my most coherent post. I'm done rambling.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
darkness, multiple threats.  Hmmm  Shotgun with 6 or 7 rounds or AR with THIRTY rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger.  you decide.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top