Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:29:35 AM EDT
I am thinking about putting my Bushmaster on a weight reduction program and replacing my HBAR.  I want a lighter barrel, with a chrome bore/chamber and a 1/7 twist.  Bushmaster sells this barrel but only in a pre-ban configuration.  I can dremel off the bayonet lug, no problem, but what do I have to do with the threaded muzzle?  It doesn't come with a flash suppressor installed.  If I put a muzzle break on it will is pass inspection?  Does the break have to be "permanent"?  If the ban sunsets I would like to retro0fit this barrel with a suppressor.  I don't really care about the bayonet lug one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The best option is to [b]permanently[/b] install a muzzle brake or faux flash suppressor.

Kurt Wala of KKF builds both, and does top notch work.  Talk with him (in the industry section) about it.

BTW permanently installed devices can be removed - you will have to destroy the muzzle brake to do it but the threads won't be damaged and you'll be able to put on a flash hider should the ban expire.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I second Forest's recommendation.  You can send it to Kurt and he'll cut the bayo lug off and permanently install a muzzle brake using the threads.  He'll also touch it up so you'd never know that is was a preban barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You can drill and pin the break in place, that will make it "permenate" and then when the AWB sunsets you can install what ever you like and pin it in place. That's what Armilite is doing with it's post bans w/muzzle brakes now.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can drill and pin the break in place, that will make it "permenate" and then when the AWB sunsets you can install what ever you like and pin it in place. That's what Armilite is doing with it's post bans w/muzzle brakes now.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
View Quote

If the ban sunsets, you won't be required to pin on the muzzle attachment, you can just screw it on like it was originally intended since it won't have to be permanent.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top