Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2003 7:15:22 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

In this thread I requested info about a project to build and donate four basic AR carbines with preban features to my father's rural NH PD. It was quite an eye opener to say the least.

At this point I'd like to build him four postban legal 16" A2 carbines with plain barrels and fixed buttstocks. Before I begin I just want to make sure there aren't any legal issues with me building and donating four postban legal ARs. I will be using stripped RRA lowers, standard RRA parts kits, and RRA upper halves.

Can any of you think of any legal issues that I should be weary of? Am I considered a "manufacturer" for doing this? My reasons for building vs buying a complete rifle are purely economical. With fixed buttstocks they will cost around $610ea to put together.

This project is not for profit, as I will be paying for all materials out of pocket. Before I start ordering parts tomorrow I just want to verify that what I'm doing is completely kosher.

Thank in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Has the dept. checked on a price for an complete LEO rifle? They probably could get a good deal being for a department, and you can just donate the money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Has the dept. checked on a price for an complete LEO rifle? They probably could get a good deal being for a department, and you can just donate the money.
View Quote

Yes, they just looked into it yesterday. LEO carbines are around $200 more per copy.

Edited to add: The $200 per unit doesn't include transfer fees or shipping, so the real cost for going that route for four units would be just under a grand. Ultimately if that's the only way to do it legally then that's how I'll do it, but I'd like to save some money if possible.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just curious,
 I have seen some dealers who will negate the Excise tax for LEO Direct purchases. Have you checked into this pricing availability?
Randy
View Quote

That's a good question, I don't know the answer. The research that was done yesterday was done by one of my father's troops, not by me. I'll ask tomorrow if that possibility was explored.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
IF they are LEO, than why the postban stuff?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IF they are LEO, than why the postban stuff?
View Quote

The short answer is that I can't legally build them a rifle with preban features on a postban receiver-being a police agency doesn't matter because they aren't buying a ready-built LEO rifle. As a civvie I can't get my hands on a LEO receiver either. The link in my initial post has all of the answers, and I verified the info with the ATFE.

I would like to go with the assembly option due to cost. I can build four complete carbines for $2440, versus $3400 if I buy pre-built LE carbines.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone ought to check the prices again. I recall seeing LEO prices on basic 16" rifles in the 500 - 525 dollar range. I believe they were DPMS rifles. If I recall correctly, they also had all the pre-ban goodies on them.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
LE agencies pay neither a transfer fee or the 11% excise tax. They send letterhead to the company along with a check or PO and pay for the rifles plus shipping. Thats it.

Edited to add: Since you're in NH, theres a place called Jerry's Sports in PA that has whupass prices on ARs. My old dept. made several purchases from them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Why don't you just have them purchase all the parts, then you can build the rifles on their premises, then it's all legal, and you have still done them the service and saved the money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If I were you I would NOT take legal advice off the internet.

Contact the BATFE and get an opinion from them IN WRITING. Also, contact your Attorney General's office to make sure your are in compliance with all state gun laws when doing what you propose.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I would be more concerned with being sued if someone (police or criminal) gets shot because one of the rifles doesn't work even if it isn't your fault. The "shootee" or their relatives are going to look for the closest deep pockets and that means the police department, you, and the rifle manufacturer.)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
CJan_NH
There is always some stumbling block when you try to do a good dead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
why not just buy some body armor for their K-9 unit instead.

http://www.pointblankarmor.com/k9opvest.asp#

[img]http://www.pointblankarmor.com/tactical/K9_vest.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys. It sounds like a little more price shopping needs to be done to find a better bargain on complete LEO carbines.

To be honest I wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of building a weapon that someone elses life might depend on but I thought it was the only cost effective way to field four of them. I feel better about donating the funds for a direct purchase as long as it can be done cost effectively.

In the meantime I've got four stripped RRA receivers on the way to my FFL that I'll keep for my own future projects, so at least there's an upside to this mess [:)]

Thanks again for the expertise and guidance.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Another option would be for the department to look into surplus M16s from the government. A local department here in VA just recieved a surplus M16 A1 and an M14 from the Feds as part of some grant. Good Luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top