Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 5:21:14 PM EDT
I recently bought one of the Clark/DPMS "Gator" rifles, my first service-type rifle.  It is a ball to shoot, but I have decided I had rather have the minimal recoil of a 223 than the muzzle blast, and have sent it back to swap for a plain barrel. I guess in some types of competition the reduced muzzle flip afforded by the brake is an advantage, but I found the blast very annoying. I am just curious how popular such muzzle devices are in general, and would appreciate any input. Thanks, Ed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Ed,
the 'brake or not to brake question' is mostly personal preference.  Me, I don't like the looks of a nude barrel on an AR-10 or AR-15 so I do use a brake.  (Now on the AR-10 carbine, that gun is a little too whippy for me without a brake.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The brake on my Colt M4 carbine works well, but I [b]am[/b] looking forward to threading the barrel for a proper A2 flash hider next October.

When the firing line on my range is busy I tend to annoy those around me, especially when I'm shooting LC M193.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a mini y-comp, and it does alot for controlability. It is also the loudest brake I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
New Rock River Tactical brake, wire cutting grooves, good prone shooting with no 6 oclock blast and excellent control in rapid fire.
Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care for them, makes them too damn loud.

My hearing is bad enuff from jet engines and .50 cals and working on the flight deck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Noisy and unnecessary, yet cool looking
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a BM 20" that had a nude bbl. I went with a KKF tactical brake on mine. Granted .223 has very little recoil, and no brake is really necessary. But.. sure looks one hell of a lot better with it. His brakes are true compensators and I have noticed less recoil (translates to faster follow ups).I shoot outside so noise is not a concern for me. It is slightly louder but it doesnt seem to be a bother to anyone at our indoor range. However, I do get some double takes if I shoot my 11.5" at that indoor range. THAT is a loud gun. KKF has Fake A2 look alike slip over FH. But the price is only  $10 less than the brake, so I figured, might as well spend the xtra 10 and get something that is functional.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#8]
On other rifles? That's a debatable matter.

On ARs? Brakes suck ass.

There are 2 functions to an AR brake: to cut recoil & to make the AR look more "correct".

#1: It's a freaking AR. this is the only military style rifle where recoil is minimal.

#2: It doesn't look correct at all. the most popular Mini Ys & AK style brakes may look better than nothing (to some people) but I find them (esp. the AK) hideous. KKF & Wilson make correct appearing brakes, but you will pay.

The main disadvantage is that it is louder than hell.

If you don't like the plain barrel than count to 300... that's about how many days the ban has left.

If you can't wait you can get a fake FS at KKF. It will appeal to your vanity and your ears.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ed,
the 'brake or not to brake question' is mostly personal preference.  
View Quote

This is very true.  I don't feel a brake is necessary on a 5.56/.223 caliber rifle to handle recoil or to assist in faster follow-up shots.  Training will address both of these issues.

A brake adds substantial noise.

So, it adds noise and is really not needed to properly control the rifle, that leaves having one for the looks.  I'll concede that a brake can help protect the crown/muzzle.  I just don't see any real benefit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I happen to like my Bushy with the AK style brake. It works the way it's supposed to and I like the look too. When the ban goes away I will probably leave the brake on this rifle. It will just be getting a different stock.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quick question about brakes and noise: The brake on my M4 certainly [i]seems[/i] louder, but is it more a matter of the sound being redirected toward me, as opposed to away from me?

From a physics standpoint, how can sound be magnified?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the question answered in another thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quick question about brakes and noise: The brake on my M4 certainly [i]seems[/i] louder, but is it more a matter of the sound being redirected toward me, as opposed to away from me?

From a physics standpoint, how can sound be magnified?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the question answered in another thread.
View Quote

Give the man a cigar.
No brakes do NOTHING to create or magnify sound. They simply REDIRECT existing sound.
Regardless of how little a .223/5.56 recoils, a braked one will be capable of faster, more accurate followup shots period.

Whether you want one or not is personal choice. For me, I like to have every advantage I can, no matter how big or small. Not to mention, a plain barrel is fine, but if you ever use it for anything more than gentle bench shooting, you'll want something to protect that muzzle crown. A slight ding on that crown and your accuracy will go downhill fast.

There are more reasons than just recoil control for having a brake on an AR. Dont ASSUME that that is the only reason.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are more reasons than just recoil control for having a brake on an AR. Dont ASSUME that that is the only reason.
View Quote

OK, there's looks, but what else?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[/b]Whether you want one or not is personal choice. For me, I like to have every advantage I can, no matter how big or small. Not to mention, a plain barrel is fine, but if you ever use it for anything more than gentle bench shooting, you'll want something to protect that muzzle crown. A slight ding on that crown and your accuracy will go downhill fast.[/b]
View Quote

You must have missed that part. [;)]

Mind you, a FFS will serve the same purpose quite well, but, if your going to get something put on, might as well get the added muzzle control of a brake.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Mt6601 "no comp"----Just don't want any more dbs my way!
I would consider a fake brake to help protect the crown.

Maybe it would put the "blast/dbs" another 1" or so down range.  Just a thought.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top