Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2003 3:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2003 3:04:28 PM EDT by 2minkey]
so i have a fabulous RRA upper/lower w/colt 1/7 twisty that i just got back from KKF. kurt did a great job smipping the barrel to 16.5" and installing his a2 brake.

problem is, the (standard a2) handguards seem to fit lousy. i supplied the handguards, RRA, that i had bought new, for the upper build.

there is a gap on both sides toward the muzzle end. i can squeeze them and the gap opens up to about 1/8", and everytime i grab them i get some noise from the plastic reseating itself.

anybody else have an issue like this?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2003 4:51:54 PM EDT by VICAP]
Score the gap area with a file, then build up a thin layer of JB-Weld. Sand it down for a tight fit after it dries. Either that or buy a new set. I've never had your problem but I did have a set that moved up-and-down within the front end cap. I used the same method to fix it and it's held for two years. Edited to say: If I were you, I would just go out and buy a set of M4 profile grips. They feel much better than the standard carbine ones. Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
Sounds like the perfect excuse to go out and get a RAS or SIR. You'll want one eventually anyways. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:12:40 PM EDT
oh i want one already. but the IRS will get my SIR fund in april...
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/20/2003 6:48:15 PM EDT by _DR]
Originally Posted By 2minkey: so i have a fabulous RRA upper/lower w/colt 1/7 twisty that i just got back from KKF. kurt did a great job smipping the barrel to 16.5" and installing his a2 brake. problem is, the (standard a2) handguards seem to fit lousy. i supplied the handguards, RRA, that i had bought new, for the upper build. there is a gap on both sides toward the muzzle end. i can squeeze them and the gap opens up to about 1/8", and everytime i grab them i get some noise from the plastic reseating itself. anybody else have an issue like this?
View Quote
I have the same problem with a set of OD handguards I bought at a gun show - I hate the gaps. They are just badly molded. The ones on my armalite upper and my Olympic fit perfectly, with no gaps at all, and if I look at the inside edge I can see the interlocking parts are much better made on these than on the gun show handguards. I plan to order a new set of Armalite or Olympic handguards, and throw these pieces of crap out. You might call RRA and tell them you want a new set, they might be willing to do it to protect their good name. Morale of the story: try the handguards on before you buy if you can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:52:09 PM EDT
I have two sets of RRA handguards that are too long. They came out with a struggle and would not go back in using the handguard tool AND the buddy system. I finally took them into work and touched the ends to a belt sander, taking off about 3/16ths overall. They fit now, snugly like they should.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:33:16 PM EDT
thanks for the replies. i think i will try referring the issue to porter-cable.
Top Top