Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2003 6:47:01 PM EDT
I just bought a few black teflon DPMS mags from R Guns, they claim that there made by labelle.  The wrapper is generic, freezer bag, and the floorplate has scratches like it was put on after the teflon. I think the answer lies in the floorplate, this is a quote from AK_Mike:

"I am trying to remember correctly, but I know I have seen discussions over such. I think one story went that there were a lot of extra DPMS floorplates, and they just got slapped onto other magazines. The other story had to do with those floorplates not being normal DPMS Labelle mag floor plates as something differed such as the size of the writing, or the fact there should or should not have been the panther figure - something like that. When I ordered them I had a choice of the teflons WITH the DPMS floorplate, or WITHOUT the DPMS floorplate - that in itself speaks volumes."

SO I looked around and found a black teflon dpms by labelle (supposively) for sale, but the DPMS lettering is larger and there is an etching of the whole panther.  The ones I just got have smaller lettering and a panthers head only, look at the pic of the floorplate on this link:

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=12689347=

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the market for some pre-ban mags (as you can tell from my prior post).  I too, would like to know if those mags at "gunbroker" are good to go.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
"The wrapper is generic, freezer bag..."

I have a number of black and gray teflon Labelles, some no names, and black DPMS.  All came, and some are still in USGI bags, with all the markings.

I would be suspect.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know what you bought.
Don't think a Labelle mag should come with a DPMS floorplate.

This is what I bought from Lauer MFG ; and
what Ammoman.com is selling...

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/LauerBag2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/LabelleFP2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Im not too worried about the bag as I doubt they could put something thats not military spec into a military bag.  Your bag is dated 87 if it has a green follower that was not used in 87 you might have a problem; but I don't want to get into that because theres much debate about that.

It is well known that Labelle made a batch of magazines for bushmaster and DPMS with their floorplates.  I want to know what the authentic floorplate is.  Because mine has the panthers head and appears to be the newer style, I think it was added recently; and that leads to the question-what type of magazine is this? It couldn't be a refinished USA mag right? Are there points on the mag to inspect to tell it apart from cheap mags and make sure that its military spec?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
So A-Free-Man do your black DPMS Mags have a panther running on the floorplate or just the panthers head, that is the key, mine just has the head?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Gee thanks!

I already have a complex about not having chrome-lined barrels (I do have 2 stainless, anyway!)... now I have to second guess my mags????

I have a few of those DPMS floorplated teflon mags from R-Guns (big panther head)... they work great, never had a problem with the 3 Fs (fit/feed/function).  The story I heard was, Labelle made Teflon mags for DPMS in early '94 prior to the ban.  Who knows?!

Scot
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Im fairly sure the questions about where the DPMS mags come from is all covered in the mag FAQ in the mag forum. Its a very interesting read.

[url]http://magfaq.tripod.com/[/url]

However, the teflon mags with the green followers with the DPMS floorplates that have the large "DPMS" and the panther are not the same as the ones discussed in the FAQ. It is not generally known exactly where these mags came from and RGuns refuses to say where they originated.

Some of us have speculations, but they are best kept mere speculations. As there is nothing solid to back up any of it.

If you want the real DPMS LaBelle teflon mags, the ones you have are not the ones we generally know and love. This is not to say the ones you have are not good mags. They seem to be and they work well. We're just not exactly sure exactly where they came from is all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
new-arguy, you say the large lettering is the unknown mags?  Mine appears to be the small lettering with panther arms written under it.  If you go to the link at the top of the page and look at the floorplate of that mag, the lettering is large, is that mag the unknown type your talking about?

From what I hear these R guns teflons are good mags, but I would really like to know the truth.  Or Ill just buy military mags in the wrapper from now on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who's interested can check out this link.  These are the real deal and check out how much REAL dpms mags cost!  He said they have black followers unlike my bull roar green ones, and there not refinished!

[URL]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=12725897[/URL]

I think R Guns is full of SHIT!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Any of these mags that say "DPMS" are not the original LaBelle Teflon mags spoken of in the Mag FAQ. The original ones had it spelled out exactly like this;

DEFENSE PROCUREMENT
MANUFACTURING SERVICES INC
OSSEO, MN 55368

The DPMS floor plates are stamped just like that, in all caps, written out. No running panther, no panther head, no panther anything. Just a written stamp like that. They came with black followers, not green. The green followers were not even used until after these mags were banned so there is no way the original LaBelle Teflon mags are going to come with green followers unless someone put them in afterwards (like I have in all of mine). Obviously they cant come sealed in the wrapper with green followers. Its just not possible.

Also, DPMS were not the only ones to release these mags with their floorplates. Many of them were sold to Bushmaster as well, along with a smaller amount going to other manufacturers. In case none of you have read the Mag FAQ, here is what it says about the original LaBelle Teflon mags:

"La Belle is best known as the only manufacturer to have offered magazines finished in teflon (in place of the moly dry-film) from the factory. However, the majority of La Belle mags were for USGI contracts, and had the standard moly finish. In early 1994, just before the Crime Bill was passed, La Belle made several lots of mags finished in black or gray teflon for sale to civilians and LEOs. AR15 manufacturers Bushmaster and DPMS were the largest distributors of these mags, though several other companies also offered these teflon mags with their own floorplate stampings. Teflon La Belle mags are widely considered the best of the USGI 30-rounders."

The short story is the mags you have are good mags. Maybe even as good or better with the new green follower. Some folks who have both say the original teflons were finished a little better? But the ones you have will work great and last a very long time. But they are not the original LaBelle teflons and there is no way to say for sure where they came from because RGuns refuses to tell anyone where he got them.

Oh, and for the record, the mags in the above auction are insanely over priced. Im not saying yopu cant sell them for that high, but there is no way in Gods grean earth I would ever pay that much. I have a fairly good size collection of these original mags in both black, grey, and one really cool silver one (I truely love them!) and I never, ever, pay more than $40 per mag. I have paid as little as $28 for them, but never more than $40. The ones in the auction are selling for $70 each right now and thats just insane some sucker is willing to pay that much.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top